Who would you rate as the strongest premiership side in the AFL era?

Which premiership team would you rate as the strongest of the AFL era?

• Collingwood 1990

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Hawthorn 1991

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • West Coast 92-94

Votes: 15 2.4%
  • Essendon 1993

• Carlton 1995

Votes: 26 4.1%
  • North 96-99

Votes: 17 2.7%
  • Adelaide 97-98

• Essendon 2000

Votes: 83 13.1%
  • Brisbane 2001-2003

Votes: 206 32.4%
  • Port 2004

• Sydney 2005

• West Coast 2006

• Geelong 2007-2011

Votes: 101 15.9%
  • Hawthorn 2008

• Collingwood 2010

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Sydney 2012

• Hawthorn 2013-2015

Votes: 103 16.2%
  • Bulldogs 2016

Votes: 14 2.2%
  • Richmond 2017

Votes: 33 5.2%
  • West Coast 2018

Votes: 11 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

3 premierships is 3 premierships whether it's consecutive or over a period of 5 years. 3 is equal to 3.

It's actually much harder to stay successful over a period of time than be a flash in the pan as Geelong's win/loss record over a long stretch proves ... it's unrivalled. The Geelong side of that era were virtually unbeatable. 55 wins from 58 games.

104 wins from 121 games between round 5 2007 and the GF of 2011.

That's domination.
And you still couldn't go back to back, let alone three-peat. To be able to back up year after year, with the ultimate target on your back, is supremely difficult - as we found this year. The 07 Cats premiership team is the strongest individual premier I've seen. But as far as dynasties are concerned, being able to do it in consecutive years holds teams above all else.

And you still couldn't go back to back, let alone three-peat. To be able to back up year after year, with the ultimate target on your back, is supremely difficult - as we found this year. The 07 Cats premiership team is the strongest individual premier I've seen. But as far as dynasties are concerned, being able to do it in consecutive years holds teams above all else.
It certainly does not.

I find it hard to believe that would be your opinion if Geelong and Hawthorn’s flags were swapped
It definitely would. The weight of numbers is simply too good to ignore.

And yet you still couldn’t go back to back

AFAIC it doesn't matter. The Cats had a fantastic run and my dear old Dad died a happy man.

We were at their last GF win in 1963, and Dad who was in his late 80's when he passed away, kept saying all I want is to see one more flag before I go......he saw 3.

Stop being so defensive and putting down the results of Cats and Hawks........when your team has achieved what these (and mine) teams have achieved, then you will have something to spruik about.

...until then, your Tiges have done nothing to write home about. It was a great win, but someone has to win it each year, it was your turn......keep doing it and only then will you reach the heights of Lions, Hawks and Cats.

Last edited:
Brown was a father son....ummmm Nick Davis, Cloke, Shaw......freebies hey. Let alone this era Moore, Daicos, Brown and probably more. You had more 'freebies' play in those finals than Brisbane did.

Talk about flawed argument. Are you Leon Davis? There has to be more to the hatred than just a supporter. Always slagging off lions every opportunity, really bitter aren't you. Unusually so.

Brown was a father-son... for Fitzroy. The Shaw’s and Cloke’s didn’t qualify for F/S through Fitzroy hence why that does not bother me. Very simple to comprehend I’d have thought.

Lol I don’t care about Brisbane in the slightest. I simply disagree that their premiership sides were the best ever. “Always slagging off the Lions at every opportunity” - this is probably the first ever thread that I’ve done such.

There are some other factors which I will not disclose.

*edit : If you actually read what I wrote, I only made the claim the Lions 2003 were the strongest as there were no other well reasoned arguments to the contrary. I gave a "like" to a well reasoned argument for the Dons 2000 and mentioned that my gut feeling was Essendon 2000 & Geelong were also in the running. I was attempting to stimulate intelligent comment.
For what it's worth, now I've properly assessed it, the top six of the 29 years are extremely close and imo they are 1991 Hawks, 1995 Blues, 2000 Bombers, 2003 Lions, 2007 Cats, 2011 Cats & 2015 Hawks. There are quite a few on the next tier who have been underrated which include the Pies 1990 & 2010 end edit*

How about we look at your team in 2003, the hot favourites for the Flag. The bookies must love Collingwood. You finished the H&A 2nd with 15/7 & the 3rd highest % in the comp. The Mighty Lions finished the H&A 3rd with 14/7/1 & the 2nd highest % in the comp. The Lions Domination Rating was 6/0 (including a R19 domination over Collingwood !!!). The Pies "DR" was 5/2. $7 for the Lions over 39.5pts was only possible because we were playing Collingwood.

That’s pretty awesome dude... but as stated previously, I don’t care how Brisbane fared against an average Collingwood side with one A-grader and Brisbane’s 2003 premiership side was not one of the most dominant in history.

You two have a rather unsophisticated view of football. I hold you in low esteem as you can only pretend to be smart. You poo poo'd my theory without doing any homework. Imo, that's a pretty dumb thing to do.
My theory of "Powerful Sides" being rated by how many times they can kick 6+ more goals than their opposition in a quarter is a remarkably solid indicator (as I strongly believed). Do you know the science of Power & Torque? If you do, your comments demonstrate that neither of you has the faintest idea of how this can be applied to footy?

I'll give you a glimpse, so it's clear to all & sundry that you two have been owned.
I already knew I had found a worthy indicator, so I spent two hours researching it tonight in order to show you how ignorant you both are & rub some reality in your faces.

We're looking at 1990-2018.
1990 The Dons finished on top 17/5 with the highest % of 139.17. The Pies finished 2nd with the next highest % of 130.79. During the year the Dons dominated (by my definition) a game 3 times & were dominated twice. This stat does not include the game the Dons lost to Carlton where the Blues Dominated the 2nd quarter by 8 goals & the Dons hit back & dominated a later quarter by 6 goals. Being generous one might rate the Dons 4/3 for the season on my scale. In reality I would rate the Dons 3/3. The Pies Domination Rating for that year was 6/1. Coll def Ess by 48pts in the GF. The Pies were a very good value bet @ the over 39.5pts.

1991 The Eagles finished on top 19/3 with the highest % of 162.21. The Hawks finished 2nd with the next highest % of 135.91. The Eagles Domination Rating was 4/1. The Hawks Domination Rating was 7/0 before the granny. The Hawks def the Eagles by 53pts in the GF. The Hawks also scored an extra Domination Point in this GF. The Hawks were a top value bet @ the over 39.5pts.

I'll give you no more, that ought be enough egg on your faces.

I stress this is not an exact science & do not encourage people to bet.

edit*
ps: there are a couple of other of my factors to consider before betting. I do not advise people to bet on AFL, hold on to your money. Follow your team & enjoy what I believe to be The Greatest Show on Earth.
Now you’re just being a little sad. If you feel the need to post nonsense at 3.45am then go for it.

AFAIC it doesn't matter. The Cats had a fantastic run and my dear old Dad died a happy man.

We were at they're last GF win in 1963, and Dad who was in his late 80's when he passed away, kept saying all I want is to see one more flag before I go......he saw 3.

Stop being so defensive and putting down the results of Cats and Hawks........when your team has achieved what these (and mine) teams have achieved, then you will have something to spruik about.

...until then, your Tiges have done nothing to write home about. It was a great win, but someone has to win it each year, it was your turn......keep doing it and only then will you reach the heights of Lions, Hawks and Cats.
I love bigfooty
2017 GF -> 2018 PF
“Just because Richmond’s the best doesn’t mean your opinion is worth more than ours

Pre 2017 GF, post 2018 PF
“Shut up you go for Richmond, your opinion doesn’t count”

Have any Richmond supporters voted for a flag other than Richmond 2017? It’s the only explanation for them having any votes. Richmond 2018 was probably a better team than Richmond 2017 and they got demolished in the PF and when they had their one crack against West Coast got flogged by 47 points.

So with that being said, it’s clear that West Coast 2018 > Richmond 2017. They’re nowhere near the likes of Hawthorn, Geelong and Brisbane or Essendon 2000 or Carlton 1995.

I count 7

260801_5b9ff6d06c1b7593f08d15672dd47467.png

A few stars there and then players like Cam Mooney (not a star btw)

Lions had seven super stars. Rest are everyday stars. As is so often said about that once in a century team there were stars on every line. So so true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much as I'd love to say the Lions, I won't as I consider the strongest premiership side reflecting the whole season. We never finished top of the ladder so I'd definitely put the 2001-4 Lions up for consideration as the best finals side of the AFL era. But that's not the question.
I'd have to lean towards Carlton 1995 just edging out the 2000 Bombers.
It's such an interesting topic and sooooo difficult to split some all of these fantastic teams.
1999 was a big year for the Lions and the flag that possibly got away.
1999 AFL Season Ladder
Position Team Played Win Loss Draw Points For Against Percentage Streak
1 Essendon Bombers 22 18 4 0 72 2400 1905 125.98% Won 7
2 North Melbourne Kangaroos 22 17 5 0 68 2463 2129 115.69% Won 5
3 Brisbane Lions 22 16 6 0 64 2422 1671 144.94% Won 8

Qualifying Final
Fri 3 Sep West Coast v Western Bulldogs MCG 65-60
Sat 4 Sep North Melbourne v Port Adelaide MCG 100-56
Sat 4 Sep Brisbane v Carlton Gabba 138-65
Sun 5 Sep Essendon v Sydney MCG 123-54

Semi Final
Sat 11 Sep Brisbane v Western Bulldogs Gabba 126-73
Sat 11 Sep Carlton v West Coast MCG 124-70

Preliminary Final
Fri 17 Sep North Melbourne v Brisbane MCG 123-78 Imo Mick Martins cowardly attack on S.Black (finishing Blacks day early), cost us the game. Carlton would have been a soda in the GF. Sat 18 Sep Carlton v Essendon MCG 80519 104-103

Grand Final
Sat 25 Sep North Melbourne v Carlton MCG 124-89

There's 4 in five years not even counting the 2004 fiasco. Not sure if Cats or Hawks have legitimate hard luck stories? Anyway the three were pretty good :) hey.

On a side note and not relevant to this thread but am i right in saying 2016 Dogs went into all 4 finals as underdogs?
Your right. We calculated that if you kept letting the Dogs "offered odds" ride, game by game, you would have received just over 100/1 that Finals series. No matter what one believes in regards to the Dogs GF victory, it was a fantastic result & befitting of their underdog status.

That’s pretty awesome dude... but as stated previously, I don’t care how Brisbane fared against an average Collingwood side with one A-grader and Brisbane’s 2003 premiership side was not one of the most dominant in history.
We're not discussing the most dominant in history. Please at least be accurate in your comments.

Geelong 2007 to 2011 were the best team and it was over such a long period of time. They were simply brilliant and had stars on every line.
Yes the Cats were fantastic over that 5 year period. A good argument can be made the Lions 6 year period, 1999-2004, compares favourably.

We were at their last GF win in 1963, and Dad who was in his late 80's when he passed away, kept saying all I want is to see one more flag before I go......he saw 3.
My Father passed in his early/mid 60's in February 2005. After following Fitzroy then Brisbane Lions for all those years, we had the joy of witnessing the 3peat. If they have to go, sharing those sweet victories leaves a wonderful memory.
Same would have occurred for many Cats, Dogs, Swans, Eagles & Pies fans I'm sure.

Best individual season - Cats 2007 and Dons 2000 cant split them, both were in another stratosphere to the rest

Overall: Brisbane for mine, so many champions and match winners in their side

followed by Hawks and Cats(cant split them tbh). I always rated the cats as a better all round side - just liked their style of play a bit more and enjoyed watching them in full flight more, but you gotta respect a 3peat, pretty special.

Essendon '00. I rate their season but jeez when you look at their GF side, there's some real plodders in there. I don't actually remember a whole lot about the season but surely there must have been pretty weak opposition that year. About the only thing I remember is their only loss for the season, the ultimate flooding, keepings off game plan. I remember the smacking they gave Melbourne too in the GF.
Essendon of 2000 were like the LLeyton Hewitt of Tennis. Took full advantage when the older champions teams were on the decline and when the newer guard weren't quite there yet.

If you can believe it the Pies were favourites in 2003. Remember G.I Buckley & his team of losers strutting in full of arrogance. Then we humiliated them.

No way Collingwood should have gone into 2003 as favourites without Rocca. Similar to this year, bookies might have had Collingwood as favourites but I imagine most people tipped West Coast/Brisbane before the game.

Back