Poll: Will you willingly get a Covid vaccine in the next year or so?

Will you willingly get a covid vaccine in the next year or so?

• Yes

Votes: 246 65.6%
  • No

Votes: 129 34.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I suppose it comes down to what one defines as "force". While I feel people are justified in disagreeing I don't think making it a condition of employment qualified as force, if you aren't getting thrown in prison there is no force, just economic pressure.

Like it or not government's engage in social engineering and utilizing various techniques to try and control the populace it's simply a fact of life. It's just a matter of degrees.
For the record I actually think the vaccine is relatively ‘safe’ despite the long-term effects being unknown.
But we live in a democratic country & are being treated like an autocratic system

For the record I actually think the vaccine is relatively ‘safe’ despite the long-term effects being unknown.
But we live in a democratic country & are being treated like an autocratic system
In my view the government's vaccine policy is no more or less anti-democratic than its tax policy. It would only be autocratic is someone filed a case in the High Court and the government suppressed it.

Be a lot of road trips taken next year with the unvaxxed being unable to fly.

Good way to see some parts of the country you may not have seen for some time - good luck!
What if the Motels and Caravan parks have a QR code linked to a Vax passport as condition of entry ?

Fair play to those willing to debate online with the "anti vax do your own research" crowd but I find the better tactic is to think of the people you know in real life who have chosen this path and then ask yourself would you go to any of them for life advice?

Personally, I have about 20 known hold outs in my life, some of whom are pretty close, including one really good mate. I've enjoyed the company of them plenty of times over the years, but if I had a vexing issue in my life, not one of them would I consider turning to.

Fair play to those willing to debate online with the "anti vax do your own research" crowd but I find the better tactic is to think of the people you know in real life who have chosen this path and then ask yourself would you go to any of them for life advice?

Personally, I have about 20 known hold outs in my life, some of whom are pretty close, including one really good mate. I've enjoyed the company of them plenty of times over the years, but if I had a vexing issue in my life, not one of them would I consider turning to.
The only ‘hold out’ mate of mine just recently conceded he was pissing into the wind and is now booked in. Everyone else I know has had the jab.

Vaccine fears have plunged to a record low in a strong sign of support for the national plan to ease lockdowns, with only 9 per cent of Australians objecting to the jabs compared to 29 per cent in the early phase of the rollout.

The Resolve Political Monitor, conducted exclusively for The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age by research company Resolve Strategic, finds only 4 per cent of people say they are “not very likely” and 5 per cent say they are “not at all likely” to be vaccinated.

SMH

Should be able to do the 90% or close too

Vaccine fears have plunged to a record low in a strong sign of support for the national plan to ease lockdowns, with only 9 per cent of Australians objecting to the jabs compared to 29 per cent in the early phase of the rollout.

The Resolve Political Monitor, conducted exclusively for The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age by research company Resolve Strategic, finds only 4 per cent of people say they are “not very likely” and 5 per cent say they are “not at all likely” to be vaccinated.

SMH

I wonder how big of an effect the Melbourne protest have had. They managed to make vaccine opposition very unsexy which has a massive influence I think.

SMH

Gradually Darwin's theory will knock out some of that 9% so the total % vaxed will continually creep higher.

There are lots of things that we need to do as citizens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Friday, 1 October 2021

Media Statement from the Australian Football League

The AFL has this afternoon written to all Victorian based clubs to provide an update following the Victorian Government announcement that all workers on the Authorised Workers list in Victoria will require their first COVID-19 vaccine dose by Friday 15 October in order to continue to work onsite at their workplaces and will need to be fully vaccinated by Friday 26 November.

Under applicable Victorian Government directions relating to COVID-19, only Authorised Workers can attend their workplaces and are exempt from the general requirement that Victorian workers must work from home at this time.

AFL and AFLW players and football program staff of Victorian AFL Clubs are recognised as Authorised Workers and have been able to attend their Clubs and other premises to work (including by training and playing) under that exemption.

This new vaccination requirement for Authorised Workers will apply to all AFLW and AFL players and football program staff of Victorian AFL Clubs, as well as a small number of other people in the AFL industry.

The AFL is awaiting formal Government directions on next steps and the AFL will work with Clubs, the AFLPA and the broader AFL industry in the coming period so that we are ready for this important change, including with respect to the logistics of proof of vaccination.

More broadly the AFL is continuing to work with Clubs, the AFLPA and the broader AFL industry to finalise and release its own vaccination policy for all AFLW and AFLW clubs, players and staff nationally in the coming weeks.

-ends-

I wonder how big of an effect the Melbourne protest have had. They managed to make vaccine opposition very unsexy which has a massive influence I think.

That maybe a factor, but I suspect it's more related to a lot of people realizing that they're stance against 'mandated vaccination' by Government/related authorities 'who don't have the right to tell me what to put in my body' - is simply no longer practical if they want to continue to use transport services, attend concerts and/or sporting events, be allowed into pubs/restaurants etc. etc...

The reality of exclusion for not being vaccinated , like it or not, which I alluded to months ago, is here.

Last edited:
That maybe a factor, but I suspect it's more related to a lot of people realizing that they're stance against 'mandated vaccination' by Government/related authorities 'who don't have the right to tell me what to put in my body' - is simply no longer practical if they want to continue to use transport services, attend concerts and/or sporting events, be allowed into pubs/restaurants etc. etc...

The reality of exclusion for not being vaccinated , like it or not, which I alluded to months ago, is here.
And the reality for the vaccinated is a life of interrogation, how long do you think it will last before people are sick of getting asked for their vaccination status in just one day. Everywhere you go you will be interrogated and an unvaccinated person won't be, that's your reality like it or not.

Also if they don't check ID then an unvaccinated person can access anything and everything.

Imagine needing to not only show your vaccine proof but also your ID to prove your vaccine proof is actually you over and over and over and over everywhere you go.

Imagine needing to not only show your vaccine proof but also your ID to prove your vaccine proof is actually you over and over and over and over everywhere you go.
Imagine that you have the imagination to imagine that these problems are solvable.

Microchips and scanners? Or are you imagining some other solution?
Most building already have scanners
You get paper work checked at airports
Bouncers can ask for ID at events, pubs or night clubs
Tickets get checked at sporting arenas, cinemas, concerts and public transport
Businesses have to put up certificates of compliance and accreditation of it and its staff

Imagine you don't think things through, sorry you don't have to imagine.
Are you suggesting you get a fake covid pass on your phone and go about your "normal life" hoping you dont get caught or catch the Ronna is your go to plan.
It might work for a while but eventually you will get asked to leave or pay a fine or get sick or all 3.

SMH

They must not have asked anyone in WA. I've been back here for a few weeks and hardly anyone I work with has had even the first jab.

The most telling numbers for me are those that are 16+ who have had the first dose. WA, Qld, SA and the NT are lagging the others by 15 to 20% on first doses. Their fully vaccinated numbers have by and large been within 2.5 to 3% of the others but the single dose figures have hardly moved recently, I reckon they've just about topped out with those that are going to willingly get it without being forced or having it mandated. I've said for awhile now, they'll struggle to 70% and unless there's a big outbreak in any of those states / territories, I can't see them getting to 80% let alone 90%.

My employer are contemplating that by February, if you're not fully vaccinated you will no longer be allowed on site, we should know this month some time, but there is a s**t storm brewing around it. From a purely business point of view, I think they're mad if they go through with it, they're struggling to get bodies on the ground for shutdowns due to border closures, if they mandate vaccination, they'll lose a heap.

We have an internal chat board and a couple of posts have popped up in the past 8 days of people opposed to the vaccination, to the point of one of the OPs absolutely roasting her manager who entered the fray to offer some assistance.

A lot of the dissenters seem to be young people from WA, in particular females (it is a global chat board) who wouldn't know what's going on 2 suburbs away. I'm sure they don't understand the majority of what they're posting, they got it off fb or reddit or mamma mia or something but they are getting a lot of support, the first post that went up last Friday has had about 15,000 views and one that went up on Wednesday has had 6,000, so people are obviously interested in it and have a hunger to discuss it, it's just work isn't talking about it, there's just silence.

One of the main contentions is they perceive it as being coercion. I just say they have a choice if it ends up being mandated, get it and stay employed with our company or stand by your decision and leave, find another employer that won't mandate it.

I am committed to being in until at least the first week of December, it will more likely be early next year sometime (unless I win lotto in the meantime), it is entirely feasible that when I go back to my family in Victoria, that once I'm ready to come back to WA to work, I will need to be vaccinated to get on the plane from Melbourne to Perth, I will definitely need to be vaccinated to enter WA from Victoria, I will need to be vaccinated to get on the plane from Perth to work and I will need to be vaccinated to get onto my work site. If my employer doesn't get me, someone else will somewhere for some that I want to do.

Last edited:
They must not have asked anyone in WA. I've been back here for a few weeks and hardly anyone I work with has had even the first jab.

The most telling numbers for me are those that are 16+ who have had the first dose. WA, Qld, SA and the NT are lagging the others by 15 to 20% on first doses. Their fully vaccinated numbers have by and large been within 2.5 to 3% of the others but the single dose figures have hardly moved recently, I reckon they've just about topped out with those that are going to willingly get it without being forced or having it mandated. I've said for awhile now, they'll struggle to 70% and unless there's a big outbreak in any of those states / territories, I can't see them getting to 80% let alone 90%.

My employer are contemplating that by February, if you're not fully vaccinated you will no longer be allowed on site, we should know this month some time, but there is a sh*t storm brewing around it. From a purely business point of view, I think they're mad if they go through with it, they're struggling to get bodies on the ground for shutdowns due to border closures, if they mandate vaccination, they'll lose a heap.

We have an internal chat board and a couple of posts have popped up in the past 8 days of people opposed to the vaccination, to the point of one of the OPs absolutely roasting her manager who entered the fray to offer some assistance.

A lot of the dissenters seem to be young people from WA, in particular females (it is a global chat board) who wouldn't know what's going on 2 suburbs away. I'm sure they don't understand the majority of what they're posting, they got it off fb or reddit or mamma mia or something but they are getting a lot of support, the first post that went up last Friday has had about 15,000 views and one that went up on Wednesday has had 6,000, so people are obviously interested in it and have a hunger to discuss it, it's just work isn't talking about it, there's just silence.
Bali opens up in March

We democratically elect governments to make decisions on our behalf, if we don't like those decisions, we have a ballot box and the next election.

Bali opens up in March

The two blokes with whom I share my role, none of us are WA residents, one is SA and the other international (he's from WA).

First colleague :We don't know the long term affects of the vaccine, what if in 5 or 10 years time a third foot starts growing out of my head?

What if in the next 5 years you get COVID and die from it because you weren't vaccinated? You'd probably prefer that third foot.

Second colleague : If I'm vaccinated I can still catch it and pass it on.

Correct.

So if I'm vaccinated and catch it, I won't know I have it and I can come to work and infect all of you?

Do you understand that most of the people who aren't vaccinated don't realise they're infected either?

Wait, wat?

Back