Poll - Worst performing club that finished minor premiers since 2000

Under achieving clubs that finished minor premiers in respective years

• Essendon 2001 lost GF by 26 pts (2000 minor premiers and flag)

• Port 2002 and 2003 (lost both Prelims) (2004 minor premiers and flag)

• Adelaide 2005 (out in Prelim) 2017 (made GF lost by 48 pts)

• Geelong 2008 lost GF by 26 pts (2007 minor premiers and flag)

• StKilda 2009 lost GF by 12 pts

• Collingwood 2011 lost GF by 38 pts (2010 minor premiers and flag )

• Hawks 2012 lost GF by 12 pts (2013 minor premiers and flag)

• Freo 2015 (out in Prelim)

• Sydney 2014 (lost GF by 63 pts) and 2016 (lost GF by 22pts)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

The full package

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Looking at the minor premiers since 2000, being made "favorites" I wondered how much pressure that places on them, clearly Adelaide didn't handle the favorite tag in 2005 or the favorite and big stage in 2017. It got me thinking since 2000 who has been the worst performing minor premiers since 2000.

Essendon finished minor premiers and won the flag in 2000 but lost in 2001 after being minor premiers, because they did actually win a premiership with that team I see them as successful, Port same again, 2002 out in a prelim, 2003 lost the GF and the ultimate success coming in 2004, which I could imagine would have been very rewarding. 2005 saw Adelaide finish top but bombed out in a prelim by 16 pts. In 2008 Geelong finished top but had already hoisted the cup in 2007 so that team is already a success. Saints in 2009 finished top but didn't go all the way, they also made the 2010 grannies but didn't finish minor premiers that year. Collingwood 2011 lost by 38 but had already won in 2010 so again had tasted ultimate success. Hawks 2012 lost in the GF but came back to claim the three peat, Sydney was shocking in 2014 going down by 63 points and 2016 by 22 points but at least both times making the granny from minor premiers and that team winning a flag in 2012 and 2005, I still see a successful era, just could have been better. Move ahead to Freo in 2015 bombing out in a prelim but should be noted they made the GF in 2013. And finally 2017 saw Adelaide lose by 48 pts but unlike 2005, they went on to play in the GF.

In my book that leaves two clubs that have been the best H&A team but could go no further, Adelaide which have had no success with either teams 2005 and 2017 or Sydney in 2014 and 2016 but they won the 2012 flag. As other teams have done they have gone on again the following year to win the flag, Adelaide need to do that to shake the possible tag of worst performing club that were minor premiers.

I added the other clubs that finished top but didn't go all the way to the flag in that year, So you can poll and decide.

*The years that are missing were successful for the minor premiers.

2009 St Kilda looked like they were going to go undefeated, then lost the GF. Likewise Geelong in 2008 lost only one game, won convincingly in the finals then under-performed in the GF.

They are the 2 worst.

2009 St Kilda looked like they were going to go undefeated, then lost the GF. Likewise Geelong in 2008 lost only one game, won convincingly in the finals then under-performed in the GF.

They are the 2 worst.

Geelong didn't under perform in 2008, they were beaten by a better team on the day.

I reckon Geelong. Lost 1 game all year and the hawks while good were nowhere near them all year, noone was. Easily the biggest choke. Port and essendon had to contend with the great Brisbane, Adelaide werent that far ahead of the pack in their years, and neither were sydney who in one of those years had to contend with a great hawthorn team.

What was the lowest ranked team that knocked out/defeated one of the options above? Must have been Swans in 2016 losing to 7th?

They are the 2 worst.

Geelong were undefeated for a large part of the 2009 season too and went into the 2009 GF as favourites after demolishing Collingwood in their prelim so it wasn't like St Kilda were upset in the GF by an inferior opponent, they still should have won though with the amount of chances they wasted in front of goal.

that poll is hard to read..
OK, it refers to the year they were minor premiers and in brackets is what they achieved with the same team. Some teams won more flags than shown but I thought it was more relevant to show some teams did become minor premiers and win the flag either before or after they failed. IE if Adelaide came out and become minor premiers again in 2018 or 2019 and won the flag in the same year then you wouldn't say they are a flash in the pan like 2005.

Minor Premiers that don't make the GF go first, can break it down further if you like (lose to losest ranked team, not make prelim etc) but that's the starting point.

Agreed....and Port doing it twice in a row tops the list for me. Had something like 17-5 and 18-4 seasons. Some put down Port not winning more than one flag in that era to Brisbane. Port finished top and didn’t even get to facing Brisbane in those GF’s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed....and Port doing it twice in a row tops the list for me. Had something like 17-5 and 18-4 seasons. Some put down Port not winning more than one flag in that era to Brisbane. Port finished top and didn’t even get to facing Brisbane in those GF’s.
I always think Port got there in the end, if they didn't do it in 2004 they would have been the most disappointing teams since 2000.

BTW I agree, Brisbane weren't the reason they didn't win more flags but Brisbane did knock out port in 2002 prelim while Collingwood took care of them in 2003

Last edited:
I always think Port got there in the end, if they didn't do it in 2004 they would have been the most disappointing teams since 2000.

BTW I agree, Brisbane weren't the reason they didn't win more flags but Brisbane did knock out port in 2002 prelim while Collingwood took care of them in 2003

Agreed.....and in 2002 it was losing to Collingwood in week one that lost them a potential home prelim and sent them to Brisbane.

Guess in relation to the OP, you’re right in that Port did ultimately achieve that flag. But 03’ for me is the single most disappointing season from a minor premier. With the pain of 2002 (in addition to a 3rd place finish in 2001 also ending up fruitless), to again drop home ground prelim in week one by losing to Sydney and follow that up with a 7 goal prelim loss after finishing top....disappointing from such a talented side.

Fremantle. Not only did they not make the GF, but they were complete garbage from round 9 onwards, barely scraping wins over sides that finished bottom four and accumulating a lot of bad losses.

Definitely Fremantle 2015.

The others were still clearly top 4 of their year, at least.

Fremantle, on the other hand, by the time finals rolled around, were losing games by 11 goals to non-finalists. They only finished minor premier thanks to their 9-0 start to the season, an incredible number of close wins, and a bag of other freak results they had nothing to do with. In the last 9 games of the season, they went 5-4 with a percentage of 97%, the 10th best results over that period. (While Hawthorn went 7-2 at 174%.)

Then they managed to fall over the line in a home QF courtesy of getting an injury-ravaged Sydney who kicked 7.18.

Definitely Fremantle 2015.

The others were still clearly top 4 of their year, at least.

Fremantle, on the other hand, by the time finals rolled around, were losing games by 11 goals to non-finalists. They only finished minor premier thanks to their 9-0 start to the season, an incredible number of close wins, and a bag of other freak results they had nothing to do with. In the last 9 games of the season, they went 5-4 with a percentage of 97%, the 10th best results over that period. (While Hawthorn went 7-2 at 174%.)

Then they managed to fall over the line in a home QF courtesy of getting an injury-ravaged Sydney who kicked 7.18.
Now this is what I'm talking about. Clear and sensible post, backed up by straight up facts. Sorry Freo but its you:thumbsdown:

Back