Polls Thread Mk III

Remove this Banner Ad

I had always been under the impression that the NSW Liberals were relatively competent whereas the NSW ALP was the most dysfunctional branch in the nation.

Is that perception incorrect?
So, at the federal level, all of the worst factions of the Liberal party originated in NSW.

At the state level, the NSW LNP was nearly as shambolic and corrupt as Labor historically.

After Labor's collapse, the LNP quickly made up ground. The state party is pretty much run by a small cadre of developers and gambling interests.

Exactly.

I mean Queensland Labor hardly counts as Labor as well.

I think that Annastasia's government has shifted to the centre since the late Beattie/Bligh days (refraining from selling assets), but it's definitely to the right of Victoria's ALP branch.

RE the NSW Liberals, apparently the O'Farrell government was relatively competent, simply by virtue of building infrastructure (not unlike Andrews). Their overall performance was still mixed though.

I think that Annastasia's government has shifted to the centre since the late Beattie/Bligh days (refraining from selling assets), but it's definitely to the right of Victoria's ALP branch.

RE the NSW Liberals, apparently the O'Farrell government was relatively competent, simply by virtue of building infrastructure (not unlike Andrews). Their overall performance was still mixed though.
Andrews government is pretty damn good, it just has to juggle two key internal impediments, which are some institionally important old timers. Think Labor Bronwyn Bishops.

Then due to years of neglect, poaching and low turnover, there are some real shitheaps throughout the public service.

PTV leadership is a shocker and their malinvestment, beligerence, suplication to private contractors, general incompetence and political power have ****ed the state's ability to invest in requisite machinery and training to get PT infrastructure built quickly.

It's probably a big teasre why Andrews didn't even consider renationalising the rail service.

Last edited:
The latest Guardian Essential poll shows Labor’s two-party-preferred lead over the government has blown out again to 54% to 46%.

A fortnight ago Labor was ahead 52% to 48%, which suggested a tightening in the contest.
The correction after the state election.

Pollster tinkering because the margins looked too big, now put right or simply post an LNP national security bump?

When News stayed at 10 points, being released just after the Vic election it was clear that the brief narrowing across a couple of other federal polls (and state) may have been a case of pollsters not wanting to be embarrassed given previous huge margins and federal and state level. I reckon Trump/Brexit etc. would have been on their minds.

It will be interesting to see if the same thing happens before a federal election. Not a natural tightening of polls, but a cautious gating of data. However, argument that it was instead a NatSec bump could be the way the Libs are now trying to use the data encryption bill as a wedge.

That disapproval for Shorten is a sure sign the Libs are on the right track

muttley-gif-12.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man why does people hate Bill Shorten so much? I noticed the same thing with Hilary in America. Both over trivial issues and yet hated by so many. Murdoch must've done a good job in both countries. If you talk to anyone they just hate Hilary and Shorten.

I'm surprised the entire state of Victoria didn't turn on Andrews over the redshirts affair. That was also trivial and despite Murdoch giving it a good go, people didn't grow to hate Andrews.

Short answer: Because he is a campaigner.
And ScoMo isn't? FFS ScoMo is one of the biggest tossers in Parliament. Thoroughly unlikable, he's like Turnbull but with all the likeability and charm removed so just comes across as an arrogant smarmy prick (much like Turnbull himself did when talking on any subject that you had knowledge of and you realised he was just full of s**t).

And ScoMo isn't? FFS ScoMo is one of the biggest tossers in Parliament. Thoroughly unlikable, he's like Turnbull but with all the likeability and charm removed so just comes across as an arrogant smarmy prick (much like Turnbull himself did when talking on any subject that you had knowledge of and you realised he was just full of s**t).

You have fallen into the usual trap on this forum with simple binary thinking. Criticism of one side is interpreted as support for the other.

I used to cop this s**t when I criticised Rudd and Gillard etc in govt. I was even accused of being an Abbott staffer at one point.

Review my posts here - do you think I think highly of ScoMO? The guy is a village idiot, religious nut job campaigner.

But that doesn't make Showbags Bill a better person. Or the pissweak ALP a wonderful alternative govt.

How often have the 'Messiah' complex PMs turned out to be a vast dissapointment?

Be glad when events conspire to elect an 'operator' like Shorten who doesnt really capture the imagination. I dont know where the comparisons with Hillary Clinton come from, she wasnt exactly unknown

Man why does people hate Bill Shorten so much? I noticed the same thing with Hilary in America. Both over trivial issues and yet hated by so many. Murdoch must've done a good job in both countries. If you talk to anyone they just hate Hilary and Shorten.

I'm surprised the entire state of Victoria didn't turn on Andrews over the redshirts affair. That was also trivial and despite Murdoch giving it a good go, people didn't grow to hate Andrews.

A lot of it is about charisma and perception of that charisma.

Shorten just isn't a very charismatic person that radiates leadership. If he was anything like JFK or Obama he'd have romped it in for sure in 2016.

A lot of it is about charisma and perception of that charisma.

Shorten just isn't a very charismatic person that radiates leadership. If he was anything like JFK or Obama he'd have romped it in for sure in 2016.

He also doesn't seem to have a vision and just wants to be prime minister. Even one of our worst pm's John Howard was elected due to having a strong vision. But mainly pretending to be a friend of the worker.

He also doesn't seem to have a vision and just wants to be prime minister. Even one of our worst pm's John Howard was elected due to having a strong vision. But mainly pretending to be a friend of the worker.

The last point. Howard or Shorten.

Howard’s vision was to be relaxed and comfortable? Maybe he sensed reform fatigue.

GST was plucked out to be seen to do something. Not many pollies anywhere got re elected proposing a new tax

I'm going to disagree with Dry Rot and suggest it's more to do with the media.

This has been one of the longest used Murdoch plays, ignore the party and policy if your messaging is bad, just target the person.

Six years of smear campaigns with a slightly wooden public persona and you get those kind of approval ratings. Simply look at how the UK media go after Corbyn or how Fox news is already zeroing in on AOC.

Character assassination is maybe the most powerful tool in the rightwing media arsenal, but the less effective it gets in changing votes, the more rabid the coverage. Thus people may have poor broad approval ratings but ultimately them or the party do well at the ballot box.

. Simply look at how the UK media go after Corbyn

God I hate conspiracy theories about the media which mention Murdoch.

Yes, let's look at UK media. DOMINATED by the BBC which is filled with naturally left-leaning individuals. The other main TV outlet, ITV, also influenced by the wildly left-wing Robert Peston.

The Sun? Practically a tiny portion of media consumption in comparison.

Even the biggest newspaper, the Daily Mail, is now edited by a rusted on Remainer.

There is criticism of Corbyn because he is a far-left fruit loop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back