Polls Thread Mk III

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh to be a fly on the wall in Mal's office today. Deliver an ALP crap budget and then wonders why his core refuses to comes back.

I wonder if he still listens to Textor?

If Mal gets rolled as leader and does what I expect, resigns, do the libs win the by election?

If you're interpreting the failure of the budget to boost poll numbers as a sign of the electorate's desire for a return to Abbott era right wing austerity style politics I'd suggest you're mistaken. That Australians want well funded public public healthcare, and education has come as a somewhat inconvenient truth for the Liberal Party.

If you're interpreting the failure of the budget to boost poll numbers as a sign of the electorate's desire for a return to Abbott era right wing austerity style politics I'd suggest you're mistaken. That Australians want well funded public public healthcare, and education has come as a somewhat inconvenient truth for the Liberal Party.

What I find amazing is that oppinion polls only seem to matter when the delcons arent in power.

I mean if they think these numbers are bad, they should review what they were under Abbott.

What I find amazing is that oppinion polls only seem to matter when the delcons arent in power.

I mean if they think these numbers are bad, they should review what they were under Abbott.

They are worse than Abbott. One Nation and Bernardi were not around to suck votes away back then though.

Today reports that we may have negative growth................., its only getting better for Mal.

They are worse than Abbott. One Nation and Bernardi were not around to suck votes away back then though.
In raw numbers perhaps, but only if all context is removed.

Abbotts approval was in the low 20's. The overall lib vote was held up by a hostility towards labours last term fresh in the electorates minds. Abbott had no honeymoon period either. Given all variables, the numbers under the last delcon were horrific.

In raw numbers perhaps, but only if all context is removed.

Abbotts approval was in the low 20's. The overall lib vote was held up by a hostility towards labours last term fresh in the electorates minds. Abbott had no honeymoon period either. Given all variables, the numbers under the last delcon were horrific.

Yet he destroyed the media darling Gillard and swept to a land slide and he was unpopular at that point. Abbott is a very good campaigner, works very hard and had Shorten and the ALP set up with the union royal commission. He would have won the last election quite easily (just as Rudd would have beaten Abbott easily if the ALP had not shat the bed). Turnbull on the other hand was terrible. Lazy, hardly got off his arse to campaign and thought he could just be 'nice' and people would vote for him.

His upset over the Mediscare was comical, he is in a street fight and tried to play by a set of rules that just don't exist.

I see no point in going back to Abbott BTW, he is yesterdays man. The liberals need to face reality, they have lost the next election and its about saving seats from here. They have no alternative leader who can cut through, move to Bishop for example, the conservatives will not come back, move to Dutton and the wets will move away, pretty much leaving them where they are now.

Off course people will tell you that preferences will see the one nation and Bernardi votes comes back to them, don't count on it. A great example is Wyatt Roy, have a look at the results from his seat last election. The informal vote was off the charts (as it was in many liberal held seats) as conservative voters just chose to vote for no one in the lower house and vented in the upper where they can cause damage.

Expect this to continue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It takes a special kind of delusional thought to contend that Abbott would have improved on Turnbull's election performance in terms of seats won.

Yes Abbott would have done the attack dog schtick better. But he was coming from such a level of unpopularity (according to just about every poll available) that he still would have been crushed regardless of his actual abilities on the campaign trail.

Without Turnbull putting lipstick on the pig, the Coalition would have been in opposition as we speak.

Ordinarily the would be kings of the Libs would be lining up to sink the dagger in and take charge after a damning lack of post-budget bump, but it looks like they've all decided that the polls are terminal, and nobody wants to spend 2 years leading a ship that's already sunk.

Dutton seems to be the only stupid one.

It takes a special kind of delusional thought to contend that Abbott would have improved on Turnbull's election performance in terms of seats won.

Yes Abbott would have done the attack dog schtick better. But he was coming from such a level of unpopularity (according to just about every poll available) that he still would have been crushed regardless of his actual abilities on the campaign trail.

Without Turnbull putting lipstick on the pig, the Coalition would have been in opposition as we speak.

Shorten nearly won and who popular was he? First time PM's hardly ever lose, both the ALP and Libs were idiots for rolling Rudd and Abbott. Rudd was stinking it up but the electorate would have drifted back as the election got closer, same for Abbott. Its just the way it works but in both cases there were ambitious people who used it to stab their leaders in the back. The rest is now history. Both Gillard and Turnbull had near on the same results.

Shorten nearly won and who popular was he? First time PM's hardly ever lose, both the ALP and Libs were idiots for rolling Rudd and Abbott. Rudd was stinking it up but the electorate would have drifted back as the election got closer, same for Abbott. Its just the way it works but in both cases there were ambitious people who used it to stab their leaders in the back. The rest is now history. Both Gillard and Turnbull had near on the same results.

Rudd's position in the polls before being knifed was much better than Abbott's numbers pre knifing. Rudd's numbers were not as good as 2007 but they were still indicating Rudd being returned with a reduced majority.

Abbott was regularly posting 55-45 type TPP numbers, which would indicate an electoral landslide to the ALP.

The ALP were stupid to replace Rudd when they did. The Liberals made the right decision and were returned purely on the back of Turnbull's personal popularity.

No, that Abbott won isnt in dispute.

The murdoch press killed her from day 1. Your claim she was their darling is so bizzare I'd normally assume that you were too young to be there. But it was only a few years ago.

They left her alone until she blew up with her lies and then went after her.

Fairfax and the ABC were so kind to Abbott.................

We can both play this game. Its kind of pointless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back