Polls Thread Mk III

Remove this Banner Ad

Abbott is a very good campaigner, works very hard and had Shorten and the ALP set up with the union royal commission. He would have won the last election quite easily (just as Rudd would have beaten Abbott easily if the ALP had not shat the bed).
Interesting piece of revisionism. Abbott was 54-46 in the polls and had been at best 52-48. His personal popularity was in the toilet, no one was listening to him any more and the electorate were sharpening the knives.

It doesn't matter what sort of campaign he may have ran, he was viewed as out of touch and overly agressive which means his style of campaigning would have further alienated him from the electorate. The LNP put Milquetoast Malcolm in to save the furniture which he managed to do.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

We can both play this game. Its kind of pointless.

Except for the part where everything you're saying is a complete fabrication, sure. Murdoch media was full bore against her from day 1, and in full on campaign cheer leading mode for Abbott, trying to suggest she was in any way a media darling is just simple minded historical revisionism.

They left her alone until she blew up with her lies and then went after her.

Fairfax and the ABC were so kind to Abbott.................

We can both play this game. Its kind of pointless.

Im not playing a game. I didnt claim she was trated unfairly. Or that Abbott had a fair go. You're arguing with a strawman.

You claimed she was a media darling. A preposterous lie.

Last edited:
Im not playing a game. I didnt claim she was trated unfairly. Or that Abbott had a fair go. You're arguing with a strawman.

You claimed she was a media darling. A preposterous lie.

I should have put 'left' wing media. All they hyperbole over her misogmy speech, how wonderful it was. How did that turn out for her?

I should have put 'left' wing media. All they hyperbole over her misogmy speech, how wonderful it was. How did that turn out for her?

So the left wing media supported her. And the right wing media pilloried her (which is the majority of media ownership in this country)

Glad we cleared that one up.

I thought her misogyny speech was brilliant. It was well received around the world and made some people take note. Abbott should never had used the words "died of shame" about her government, it was the lowest thing that turnip ever did. I can't help but think that if it was say Julie Bishop's father who had died and the ALP used those same words, the right wing nutjobs would be up in arms about it as well.

I thought her misogyny speech was brilliant. It was well received around the world and made some people take note. Abbott should never had used the words "died of shame" about her government, it was the lowest thing that turnip ever did. I can't help but think that if it was say Julie Bishop's father who had died and the ALP used those same words, the right wing nutjobs would be up in arms about it as well.

He didnt say that irt was jones I think. Abbott said something which echoed it, implied he agreed with it

and can we not forget the 'faceless men' jibe every other day? trouble is after a couple of time the faceless men were well known

Same as how he wasn't the one holding up the "ditch the witch" signs, but he was standing smugly in front of them
Actually as much as I detest Abbott, the people holding the signs moved behind him as he was speaking.
Did make a good photo and story though and he didn't distance himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LNP 48-52 ALP

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
In all likelihood it will swing back to a 6 to 10 point lead given time.

Turnbull will again find a way to demonstrate he is all show and no substance.

Interestingly, a leadership struggle plays well for him, especially on climate change.

And the press just want to love him. But it will collapse in a heap, just like the NBN and he will no doubt make some tonedeaf gaff, like his attack on Weatherill or Andrews.

No budget bounce

Newspoll: PM fails to turn corner with power battle

The Coalition is struggling to climb out of a dangerous slump after trying to win back voters on school funding and energy prices, with the government trailing Labor by 47 to 53 per cent in two-party terms. Malcolm Turnbull has kept his lead over Bill Shorten as preferred prime minister but has failed to revive the government’s primary vote, a key measure that has flatlined at 36 per cent for more than 10 weeks.

The latest Newspoll, conducted exclusively for The Australian, shows Labor has kept its commanding lead over the Coalition with the help of a small gain in its primary vote, from 36 to 37 per cent, since the last survey three weeks ago...After the release of controversial plans for a clean energy target, a growing debate on school funding and a renewed focus on national security in the wake of terrorists attacks in London and Melbourne, the Coalition’s primary vote is now at a level that would cost 13 seats and drive it from power at an election.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...e/news-story/79ce414773ab471673e3cf1e1935f1f6

Browned off and switched off: Malcolm Turnbull nears the danger zone.

!4 polls behind, 16 to go. Good analysis here. Lib govt is doomed.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...ll-nears-the-danger-zone-20170619-gwtz2r.html

Labour should really be lambasted for their hypocracy too. Standing against the Gonski proves that they too stand for nothing.

Ditto the greens with every climate deal they vote against.

The establishment does not work. And when people are desperate enough for something; anything to happen, we'll get our Trump.

This government is getting pounded in the polls, senior members are being hauled before the courts, who've just ordered the government to pay millions over it's offshore detention program, and it can't get it's legislation through the Senate. At some point if it wants to reverse these polls it might have to look inwardly rather than lashing out, and blaming everyone else.

At some point if it wants to reverse these polls it might have to look inwardly rather than lashing out, and blaming everyone else.

Apparently they are, starting at the top

Disaffected Libs keen for PM to walk a shorter plank

The first attempts are being made to discount Malcolm Turnbull’s own benchmark of leadership failure — 30 losing Newspoll surveys in a row.There is disaffected grumbling from those within the Liberal Party trying to lower the threshold for leadership removal by claiming it will be fewer than 30 and pointing to the even longer period since the Coalition was in front — 16 surveys ago on the weekend of the election last year....

From some within the Coalition the discount to Turnbull’s benchmark for failure is 30 per cent, suggesting there will be trouble for him if the Newspoll losing streak — now at 14 in a row — goes above 20.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opi...k/news-story/51885026e4de19541ddd9e1ba72f5dbd

Who takes over that doesn't guarantee electoral oblivion though DR? Right now I see the lack of a realistic contender as Turnbull's biggest advantage.

No one really wants it because they have little to no hope hence why Abbott as a Rudd type, save some furniture is probably the only option. But as I said elsewhere its a poor alternative. They are both tarnished by what has happened, same as Rudd and Gillard were.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back