Injury Polly Farmer Had CTE

Remove this Banner Ad

I want to see fast, skilful, tough football, of the sort we played in 2007/2008.

I think most people would say the same.

But I don't want to see people die prematurely for it; and I don't want to see players suffering from the premature "living death" of dementia or of the similar/associated CTE either.

And I don't know what the solution is.
Did you enjoy Friday night?
I appreciate that will never be the norm now, but for pure footy skills, it was spectacular.

Tackling is fine, none better than Danger on Friday.
It's the shirtfronts that fracture collar bones or cause head high tackles.
Our players are not protected like the Grid- Iron players, and our injury rates continue to escalate as the speed of the game increases.
Spoke to many A League people this weekend who ordinarily don't love AFL, but so many were super impressed by the display of gut running, speed, skills and goal scoring on Friday night.
It was easy to watch.
The only negative comments were how ridiculously long that game was. Finished by about 11 pm. Unnecessary 32 minute quarters for a display game.
Don't see too many shirtfronts anymore.
Each to their own I guess. I don't enjoy the really tackle happy games much.
They used to be a good novelty once in a while back when the grounds were boggy and it rained.
But I prefer it to be a bit more open.

Not sure how many would support the bruise free comment, Vdubs. Certainly there needs to be more protection for the head.

Enormous credit to the Farmer family for allowing the autopsy. Possibly has done more to focus attention on head trauma than any other single act.

Hip and shoulder as a weapon has seen its day. The North player the other day for example , but it has to remain physical , there has to remain some risk or it just become diet football, sugar free , fat free, taste free , risk free... to the point its entertainment free. The non State of Orign game was good, not something I'd want to watch week in week out. Rep footy must be brought back , but for it to work there has to be some heat to the contest.

The trouble with the All Stars is its an allighned side. Perhaps a Vic V Allstars at u18's every year could develop a history of it. I suspect the other states will want to play in their jumper eventually , and then the whole concept falls over. The NRL version works well cause there is only two states.

I want to see fast, skilful, tough football, of the sort we played in 2007/2008.

I think most people would say the same.

But I don't want to see people die prematurely for it; and I don't want to see players suffering from the premature "living death" of dementia or of the similar/associated CTE either.

And I don't know what the solution is.

Fred , tackling and sheparding can still be employed..and to some degree , some head issues are inevitable. Perhap get concussed from kness in a mark contest, and thats unavoidable. To some degree whats required is a greater care and reduced risk but also an understanding that there will be some who may have a bad outcome, thru bad luck or personal attributes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back