Polygamy

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there a big demand for this or something? Usually it's just little religious groups out in the wilderness.

It's a pseudo argument against SSM.

If you change marriage for X then why can't you change marriage for Y?

The logic holds, but the community support is about 0.01% as opposed to somewhere between 50 and 100% for SSM.

Hence the separate topic...

in that case, sure.

The legal issue can be dealt with relatively easily but the social issue, especially in divorce, will need consideration. The state doesn't like paying for kids from relationship breakdowns and the child care maintenance tries to carefully balance out incomes and costs of living. Imagine an average income trying to support 8 homes with the breakdown of 7 marriages and 7 kids?

To avoid the risk of this, through history, we (Anglo culture) have established the one wife principle. However most wealthy guys, especially from Asian cultures, have mistresses and maintain multiple homes. In Asia these mistresses have rights, so there is no reason why these rights can't be established here (if they don't already).

It probably works better financially where women have multiple male partners. DINKS already have it good.........imagine TINKS and FINKS.

There's plenty of evidence that it happens here anyway. I don't how government departments deal with those sort of relationships, but maybe it's time to recognise these them in common law if they aren't already, and if there's a push for marriage to be afforded these relationships in time then we can look at that then.

There's plenty of evidence that it happens here anyway. I don't how government departments deal with those sort of relationships, but maybe it's time to recognise these them in common law if they aren't already, and if there's a push for marriage to be afforded these relationships in time then we can look at that then.

Sure people have affairs, consensual or not but I doubt this is all that common.

As to the Government aspect. Part of me thinks why does (too late now)/did the Government get involved in the first place? If people want to sign a civil contract that contains their rights as next of kin etc go for it and the Government can legislate separately for issues of Child Support/Parental rights etc.
in that case, sure.

The legal issue can be dealt with relatively easily but the social issue, especially in divorce, will need consideration. The state doesn't like paying for kids from relationship breakdowns and the child care maintenance tries to carefully balance out incomes and costs of living. Imagine an average income trying to support 8 homes with the breakdown of 7 marriages and 7 kids?

To avoid the risk of this, through history, we (Anglo culture) have established the one wife principle. However most wealthy guys, especially from Asian cultures, have mistresses and maintain multiple homes. In Asia these mistresses have rights, so there is no reason why these rights can't be established here (if they don't already).

It probably works better financially where women have multiple male partners. DINKS already have it good.........imagine TINKS and FINKS.

I suppose because at its core marriage is the primary relationship for bringing up children. If people want to rack up the numbers go for it but biologically a kid can only have 2 parents hence most laws are based around that then division of assets (which is the same for a defacto couple). That is not to say marriage has to be the same for every couple (older couples, no kids, gay couples if it gets legalised etc).

Why should a mistress be granted rights exactly? They make a free choice and in the case of the rich dudes are essentially been looked after/paid anyway.

Yeah if I was going to go down this path I'd probably add an extra husband rather than an extra wife. Then me and the hubby can just **** off to the pub whenever the wife is giving me/us the shits.
It's this kind of pragmatism that's sorely lacking in these debates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marriage or rather monogamy is in part ensuring all a males resources are directed to the family and men know any children they have are theirs 100% It is instinctive
and just imagine how much better it would be to have two men around the house. One could hold the ladder, one could hold the torch, they do the guy stuff together they enjoy like two best friends and then go to bed with the same woman.

Guys work really well in teams, girls not as much. If she can find two guys who look closely alike then they can both be daddy!

Family holidays without the kids would be great too because as a couple one of you might not actually want to do anything that day, but as a three then the one who feels like sitting with her feet up can do that while the guys go off on their adventure.

And the guys don't need to be into each other sexually either.

and just imagine how much better it would be to have two men around the house. One could hold the ladder, one could hold the torch, they do the guy stuff together they enjoy like two best friends and then go to bed with the same woman.

Guys work really well in teams, girls not as much. If she can find two guys who look closely alike then they can both be daddy!

Family holidays without the kids would be great too because as a couple one of you might not actually want to do anything that day, but as a three then the one who feels like sitting with her feet up can do that while the guys go off on their adventure.

And the guys don't need to be into each other sexually either.

Good for her. I myself would demand a DNA test.

I have lived with male room mates myself. Not cool.

I don't have the time or the energy to disappoint two women.
It doesn't take any time or energy to disappoint them if you don't even want to try

Surely having two or three girlfriends will be quite common in the future. Probably different levels of commitment with each one, but if you're on the same page with all of them, it sounds like it could be a pretty good time.

Wonder what you'd do Christmas Day though? Or is it possible by then you'd be skipping the big family celebration to have a piss-up anyway?

You can't just have everything.

People who think this will work subscribe to the notion they will have the best of every partner: a girl who loves you in the morning, one who is artistic and interesting, one who is sexy af and pulls off tight dresses, one who is blonde and one who is brunette... one who loves a night out and one who wants to sit inside and make a nice dinner... it doesn't work like that. You can't just get the best of everything.

A relationship is teamwork. It's about the good and the bad - getting over things, being a team.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You can't just have everything.

People who think this will work subscribe to the notion they will have the best of every partner: a girl who loves you in the morning, one who is artistic and interesting, one who is sexy af and pulls off tight dresses, one who is blonde and one who is brunette... one who loves a night out and one who wants to sit inside and make a nice dinner... it doesn't work like that. You can't just get the best of everything.

A relationship is teamwork. It's about the good and the bad - getting over things, being a team.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
A team of 3 will beat a team of two every day of the week (and twice on Sundays).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back