Pompey 1 'Pool 0

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2002
Davoren Park
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth FC
Great result tonight altho the ref tried and tried to swing it Liverpool's way it just weren't gonna happen in the end!:D
First he gave a penalty for handball when the only hand that touched the ball was Milan Baros', the assistant over-ruled him on that occasion (altho have to give the ref credit for admitting his mistake and reversing the decision). Then he gives another penalty for an apparently blatant dive by Baros. Luckily we had Super Shaka too keep out Owen's kick and save the refs blushes again.
Richie Hughes, you supersub you! Great time to bob up and score his first goal of the year and send the whole ground wild.
Great stuff Pompey well earned victory against an opposition that, according to Gerard Houllier should have beaten us in the previous two games. No doubt he thinks the same about tonight!;)
Bring on the Gooners!!:eek: :confused: :)
Now to concentrate on the league for a few weeks.

:mad: :mad: :mad: Absolutely Gutted :mad: :mad: :mad:

I hope Houllier has signed his own Depature Papers with this one...

No need to wait until we DON'T get the 4 th Spot in the league b4 sending him on his way..

agreed. i'm starting to think that liverpool's performances are up there with Richmond's, and that hurts me to say it.

We have to sack him...not even march yet and the league cup, FA and league are all gone. UEFA only thing left....

We are actually further away from a league title now than we were when he took over. Owen has to score penalties though...:(

Originally posted by Weaver
Martin O'Neill -> Liverpool

That'll be sensational. MON will buy in another battering-ram like Crouch, Sutton or Hartson to partner Heskey and he'll fill the midfield with crocks.

Can't wait.

Can't blame St Mike for missing the penalty, everyone misses them, including Van Horse... Can't blame him for being AWOL most of the game, coz he has to play as the lone man upfront when another striker in the team in the name of Emile "Donkey" Heskey was playing on the LEFT...

Gerard "Danny Frawley" Houllier, time to go, mate... before you comtemplate putting Heskey in defence...

Don't trust O'Neil... some other guy

Someone else, someone else

:p Wouldn't mind O'Neill, has done good things at Celtic.

We shall see - I just wish the Liverpool board would hurry up. Imagine if we drop out of the UEFA Cup, finish 4th and he keeps his job because we made CL. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same excuses from GH in the post-match press conference, "Unlucky", "The players tried hard", blah blah blah, but this time he actually said, "the players are to be blamed", that is the FIRST TIME he said it this season, but then he also said, "I expected to get slaughtered", and so you should be...

Anyone heard of Jose Mourinho? The Porto Manager? Apparently hot property from all big European clubs, one of the most promising managers around, and he said he'd prefer managing Liverpool ahead of Chelsea, though he'd like to manage Arsenal or Man UTd instead (bloody unlikely).

He has a great record as a Porto manager, plays great attacking style of football, pretty good record in Europe as well (at least he beat Celtic)...

Originally posted by Jars458
O'Neil or Curbishly are the men to replace him.

O'Neill is fool's gold. Anyone can manage an Old Firm club to regular silverware north of the border - just ask Walter Smith. If you look at O'Neill's gameplan while at Leicester and the Hoops he relies on mediocre midfielders (Savage, Izzet, Kaamark, Lennon, Thompson) and big men upfront (Heskey, Elliott, Hartson, Sutton) with a pacy poacher to pick up scraps (Cottee, Larsson).

If you want a similar gameplan/style to what you already have then by all means hire him.

As for Curbishley, there's no doubt he's talented but moving from Charlton to Liverpool where has to deal with big money and bigtime Charlies on a week to week basis would be completely foreign to him. You just have to look at the all-round handling of the Parker affair to see he'd take a fair while to adapt to managing a big club.

Originally posted by Cooldude
Same excuses from GH in the post-match press conference, "Unlucky", "The players tried hard", blah blah blah, but this time he actually said, "the players are to be blamed", that is the FIRST TIME he said it this season, but then he also said, "I expected to get slaughtered", and so you should be...

Its been the same crap from him for 4 years. Pool will win next game and he will say 'oh I think we are starting to hit form, ahhhhhhhhhhh i think Emile is proving how good he is,ahhhhhhhhh.'

he is the biggest tosser in football and this is why he should continue to manage Liverpool.

Originally posted by dodgey
:mad: :mad: :mad: Absolutely Gutted :mad: :mad: :mad:

I hope Houllier has signed his own Depature Papers with this one...

No need to wait until we DON'T get the 4 th Spot in the league b4 sending him on his way..

Dodgey, have you changed teams mate?!! :confused:

Originally posted by JuniorBurger
Great result tonight altho the ref tried and tried to swing it Liverpool's way it just weren't gonna happen in the end!:D
First he gave a penalty for handball when the only hand that touched the ball was Milan Baros', the assistant over-ruled him on that occasion (altho have to give the ref credit for admitting his mistake and reversing the decision). Then he gives another penalty for an apparently blatant dive by Baros. Luckily we had Super Shaka too keep out Owen's kick and save the refs blushes again.
Richie Hughes, you supersub you! Great time to bob up and score his first goal of the year and send the whole ground wild.
Great stuff Pompey well earned victory against an opposition that, according to Gerard Houllier should have beaten us in the previous two games. No doubt he thinks the same about tonight!;)
Bring on the Gooners!!:eek: :confused: :)
Now to concentrate on the league for a few weeks.

All these posts in this thread and hardly one person wants to concentrate on your insignificant little club. ;)

Seriously, well done on the win. It will be good to reflect on a good cup run while you are in division 1 next season.

See you on March 20. :p

Originally posted by dyertribe
O'Neill is fool's gold. Anyone can manage an Old Firm club to regular silverware north of the border - just ask Walter Smith. If you look at O'Neill's gameplan while at Leicester and the Hoops he relies on mediocre midfielders (Savage, Izzet, Kaamark, Lennon, Thompson) and big men upfront (Heskey, Elliott, Hartson, Sutton) with a pacy poacher to pick up scraps (Cottee, Larsson).

If you want a similar gameplan/style to what you already have then by all means hire him.

I can only agree with that assement, however I think O'Neill biggest plus (and to me the biggest reason Celtic are as good as they are) is that he brings a history of getting a great team spirit into a club VERY quickly, you only have to look at his first season at Celtic, took over a team that was at odds with each other and couldn't beat the Ger's for love or money, within 2 months he had Celtic, not only playing good football, but working as a team (that and beating Rangers 6-2 always helps). Of all the British managers on offer, he is the best option, plus it won't cost Liverpool much to get him to brake contract (on a rolling contract)

However looking at the Liverpool squad O'Neill's 3-5-2 set up at Celtic is perfect for Liverpool. All you need to do is get a few strong Centre backs and your set, plus Cisse would only help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back