Roast Poor conversion

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking of poor conversion.

Reminds me of a Dad joke I heard on radio the other night. Can't remember which station.

A Dad texts his daughter from the supermarket saying:
"I've just returned the 100 sultanas and got only 50 raisins back. The currant exchange rate is no good".

Boom tish.

All the ^^ is excellent convo, no doubt there is an element to a fair bit of it regarding different sports.

But last weekend (and various times previously) we are missing shots from dead in front and/or shanking out on full not even scoring. That's clearly not skill related, it's mental as Twinkletoes alluded to.

Can't keep blowing opportunities left, right and centre with the list we have. It's very solid, especially inside, but if we can't finish that good work in an elite way we aren't winning a flag considering the talent against us coming up.

Seriously need to get better, and convert the opportunities we get when we have the run of play IMO :thumbsu:

Last edited:

All the ^^ is excellent convo, no doubt there is an element to a fair bit of it regarding different sports.

But last weekend (and various times previously) we are missing shots from dead in front and/or shanking out on full not even scoring. That's clearly not skill related, it's mental as Twinkletoes alluded to.
This is why it's so important to have a routine that does not change and is solely focused on kicking for goal.

This is why it's so important to have a routine that does not change and is solely focused on kicking for goal.

Yes I get that and agree, but it's more than that with us.

It's not just skill based. It's IMO related from a very mature/talented team that too often struggles to produce under (serious) pressure. We need that to change - practice will help, but I suspect increased confidence even more so.

Last edited:
All sports science people in the afl should piss off. And be banned from games for ever!!
Lets get back to some serious training, which actually practices kicking as a skill.

Most of our players are too "nice" when it comes to marking on an angle. Without being directed by the umpire, they head towards the boundary line instead of inboard. Hawthorn players and Sydney players have to be dragged away from the better angle a centimetre at a time. Usually the umpires give up after a while and they're left on a slightly better angle. Centimetres matter.

Even though they're easily within range, our blokes often don't go back far enough. They run in too close to the man on the mark and kick the ball too high and it falls short. Or it's touched by the man on the mark. Ben Brown is not included in this criticism.

LT is spinning the ball in his hands as he runs in. When he runs in a straight line he usually kicks it straight. He often veers to his left like Buddy.

I'm sure other supporters have noticed "little things" about our kicking for goal that might be the difference between a win and a loss.

Yes I get that and agree, but it's more than that with us.

It's not just skill based. It's IMO related from a very mature/talented team that too often struggles to produce under (serious) pressure. We need that to change - practice will help, but I suspect increased confidence even more so.
I agree. My point is, a set routine where you are only focused on the process helps to remove the pressure. It's just another kick that you will do exactly the same as the thousands of times before.

Most of our players are too "nice" when it comes to marking on an angle. Without being directed by the umpire, they head towards the boundary line instead of inboard. Hawthorn players and Sydney players have to be dragged away from the better angle a centimetre at a time. Usually the umpires give up after a while and they're left on a slightly better angle. Centimetres matter.

Even though they're easily within range, our blokes often don't go back far enough. They run in too close to the man on the mark and kick the ball too high and it falls short. Or it's touched by the man on the mark. Ben Brown is not included in this criticism.

LT is spinning the ball in his hands as he runs in. When he runs in a straight line he usually kicks it straight. He often veers to his left like Buddy.

I'm sure other supporters have noticed "little things" about our kicking for goal that might be the difference between a win and a loss.
I've been told the spinning of the ball is done as a way to relax the arms. Personally I hate the habit and think it's a big influence on a crazy ball drop.

Ben Brown has the right idea. Consistent approach, maintains consistent results, like Jordan & (hate to say) Lloyd. The perfect example was last Saturday, Ben's shot on goal from the boundary was terrible, because he ran out on an angle instead of the consistent straight and fkked the kick up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Set shot practice must be one of the most basic, most often repeated training drills. Why do players miss easy set shots? Pressure is one reason. I'm sure stress levels are high, heads are throbbing with adrenaline surges and crowd noise, weight of expectation etc. gets to them during matches.

Solve that without reducing intensity and you will make a killing as a coach.

The supreme players exude confidence which helps to manage the stress.
I always assumed that was partly the point of the goal kicking competition where the loser has to do some silly dare. Put something at stake on a weekday.

Sometimes teams have problems penetrating the forward 50 into the corridor so have a lot of shots from a long way out, snaps rather than set shots or from deep in the pockets so you can have poor conversion without it being unexpectedly poor. You can't have a high expectation of conversion from low probability shots. Some of our games our accuracy was a result of the leading of forwards, the movement speed of the ball and the delivery into the forward 50.

However, we are missing a lot of what should be high probability shots in the 30-40m range in the last few months, that is the disappointing aspect, easy misses can often be momentum shifting from positive to negative.

Can't keep blowing opportunities left, right and centre with the list we have. It's very solid, especially inside, but if we can't finish that good work in an elite way we aren't winning a flag considering the talent against us coming up.

Seriously need to get better, and convert the opportunities we get when we have the run of play IMO :thumbsu:

All of our problems since we took our foot off their throat against Hawthorn in 2014 have been mental imo (except the ones that aren't like injuries). Since maybe even before that game. That is when it really stood out to me tho.

I totally agree with what kangatime and mr reliable said as well tho. Concentrate on getting the ball drop right and the rest of the kick should take care of itself. And have kids playing kick to kick in front of goal. We used to do it and take turns when the guy in goal got the irrits with not having shots.

Another potential rule change. I can hear the salivation at AFL house right now.

And of course it will be made up as they go along.
Yes sir. Reminds me of when I climbed Mt Hotham for the first time. One of the sherpas stated no oxygen tanks were to be used on the way up. I spat near his feet. He soon got it. It was then oxygen tanks all round.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back