Travel Popular Travel Destinations & Holidays You Didn't Like

Remove this Banner Ad

Oi doint you bag Florida mate.

/says the person who stayed inside her hotel for 3 days in Miami.
I almost made it 90 minutes on South Beach without seeing a dead body (murdered). Almost.

Have you been anywhere else on the planet? You might be disapointed. Paris is the best tourist city there is.
Traveled all through Europe and the US.

It's a shithole mate, I felt less safe there than I did in Chicago. You've obviously never stepped outside the tourist bubble and seen the city for what it really is

It's a shithole mate, I felt less safe there than I did in Chicago. You've obviously never stepped outside the tourist bubble and seen the city for what it really is

You felt more safe in Chicago? i am starting to doubt that you have been to either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I go there for the luxury, safety and because there is so much for the kids to enjoy. I stroll around numerous neighbourhoods at 11 oclock at night with my little kids feeling 100 percent safe. Where were you staying? The fringe areas near a dodgy train station?

paris has the best parks and playgrounds on the planet, the best restaurants, the best historical sites, the best comfort food and one of the most attractive layouts and rivers. It also has more events then anywhere else on the planet.

the only downside of paris is the expense. But that doesnt exactly make it a sh**hole. The opposite in fact as sh**holes are cheap.

I go there for the luxury, safety and because there is so much for the kids to enjoy. I stroll around numerous neighbourhoods at 11 oclock at night with my little kids feeling 100 percent safe. Where were you staying? The fringe areas near a dodgy train station?

paris has the best parks and playgrounds on the planet, the best restaurants, the best historical sites, the best comfort food and one of the most attractive layouts and rivers. It also has more events then anywhere else on the planet.

the only downside of paris is the expense. But that doesnt exactly make it a sh**hole. The opposite in fact as sh**holes are cheap.
We stayed sort just South of the Sacre-Coeur.

Just found everywhere to be dirty, beggers everywhere, people were very rude. The architecture in the tourist area was nice enough but as soon as we stepped out into the suburbs it got grim really quickly.

Went to a football match at Stade de France, boy oh boy you would not want to take your kids walking around that area after dark, jumkies on the street everywhere and was just seedy in general.

The only redeeming quality of Paris I found was the food, which admittedly was fantastic (next time you go to Paris I recommend heading to Le Petit Canard, was incredible)

Just found everywhere to be dirty, beggers everywhere, people were very rude. The architecture in the tourist area was nice enough but as soon as we stepped out into the suburbs it got grim really quickly.

Went to a football match at Stade de France, boy oh boy you would not want to take your kids walking around that area after dark, jumkies on the street everywhere and was just seedy in general.

The only redeeming quality of Paris I found was the food, which admittedly was fantastic (next time you go to Paris I recommend heading to Le Petit Canard, was incredible)
We were there for 6 weeks (albeit nearly 10 years ago) and i went to all the places youre mentioning and saw none of that.

Thats not to discount your experience its just to say people have different experiences.

I walked home from the Red Light district at 2am about 7-8kms to the hotel with my wife, felt completely safe. Also did a game at Stade France which finished late and felt completely safe there also.

Can add Rome to my list also.

Hot, dirty, too full of tourists and the locals were rude. Venice (Italy) was also quite disappointing.

Florence was beautiful though, the one place in Italy I actually liked.

Didnt love Rome, Venice is stunning if wildly overpriced.

On Paris too, yes the locals are short and curt but i dont think they are rude, they just do the whole "youre on my time, not the other way round".

We had a friend in Paris (living for 2 years) before we went, she warned us that the locals dont really care about tourists, not they dont like them, they just have a completely different approach to service. Locals in both Rome and Paris (as well as the smaller places we went to in France and Italy) were actually very helpful if you really needed help, they just dont pander to tourists.

Didnt love Rome, Venice is stunning if wildly overpriced.

On Paris too, yes the locals are short and curt but i dont think they are rude, they just do the whole "youre on my time, not the other way round".

We had a friend in Paris (living for 2 years) before we went, she warned us that the locals dont really care about tourists, not they dont like them, they just have a completely different approach to service. Locals in both Rome and Paris (as well as the smaller places we went to in France and Italy) were actually very helpful if you really needed help, they just dont pander to tourists.
Must be a cultural thing tbh, in comparison I found the people very friendly all over the US

Must be a cultural thing tbh, in comparison I found the people very friendly all over the US

Ahhh NYC they werent, in fact i thought NYC was wildly overrated. Its a great city but its dirty, noisy, expensive and the people are awful.

Literally everywhere else in the US theyve been great, the hospitality in the South is as legendary as its reputation implies.

Having read through this thread there's a few places I liked that others didn't

Barcelona - loved it! Found it to have a nice relaxed vibe, food was good (Can Paixano is still probably the best bar I've been to), weed was legal.

Berlin - great vibe albeit quite gritty, awesome coffee, fun nightlife, aesthetic streets

LA - Awesome. Hollywood strip was s**t but Venice, West Hollywood, Silver Lake, Echo Park, Highland Park were all great place. Venice in particular I loved.

NYC - Don't get how you could ever call NYC dull. We stayed in East Village which was full of cool bars and food, Brooklyn and Greenwich were beautiful, Williamsburg was cool. I loved being able to walk 2 blocks and enter a completely different neighborhood with a completely different vibe. The only place I didn't vibe with was around the times square area, was pretty meh.

why would you go into the outer suburbs? I dont go to broadmeadows in melbourne or the gang controlled suburbs in major american cities. Even Canberra has dodgy outer suburbs that you avoid.

And who stays at the bottom of the hill near Sacre-Coeur? Thats inner city but all major inner cities have some dodgy areas and the train stations down the bottom of the hill is a place even first timers know to avoid at night.

it seems like you have a problem with immigrant outer areas of paris and not actually paris.

this thread is about dodgy places to go on holidays. Not a discussion about the non touristy parts of the cities that are easily avoided. A city is a sh**hole if it has nothing to provide for people on holidays or Its unsafe in the touristy Areas or there are no attractions or limited culture. There is also lots of great neighbourhoods of paris that would be fantastic places to live.

Last edited:
Can add Rome to my list also.

Hot, dirty, too full of tourists and the locals were rude. Venice (Italy) was also quite disappointing.

Florence was beautiful though, the one place in Italy I actually liked.
It seems like you dont like city travel in europe for the most people like city to travel. To see amazing ancient cities.

the crowds are annoying in rome i agree. But you figure out ways to avoid it. Go walk up a hill. Most tourists dont seem to like hills in rome. get up early in the morning. The place is literally deserted even as late as 8am. the west side of the river also seemed a lot better most of the time and is just as stunning.

rome is my favourite city to take the wife. Paris my favourite city to take the kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back