Review Porf vs. Nort

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't get this either considering your club gave him the flick in the first place. What's the bloke supposed to do?

It was pretty obvious he was emotional playing against his old club at their home ground for the first time, and had his worst quarter of footy (1st) for the year as a result. I reckon he was good after that. We're wrapped with him. Definitely been the best of our 2018 trade bunch so far, and he was only the steak knives in the deals.

It was obvious Scott instructed your mob to be aggressive. Pittard had a point to prove but did it the wrong way is why he was heckled. Plus he’s put us supporters through trauma over the years so we had to vent on the bloke.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He began the game lining up on the wing in front of me, spent the entirety of Never Tear Us Apart looking around at the crowd and soaking in the atmosphere, he nearly missed the first bounce. Money isn't everything Jared. Hope you and your wildly out of your league wife are enjoying the cash though.

You must be near where I sit. Also saw Hoff give a very reluctant handshake before the first bounce.

I felt really sad for a bloke who gave us all he had while he was here. It wasn't enough for him to stay but the booing was deplorable.

In comparison, Polec got a way better treatment from the crowd.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Pittard made his bed by targeting a 5 game player and knocking him over a couple of times off the ball.

Have loved the look of our backline these past couple of weeks. Howard, Clurey, Houston and Burton have been immense playing the aggressive and confident brand of footy as a unit which is a common trait of premiership contending sides.

The final ten minute fade out cannot merely be attributed to any individual(s) and was more scarily an example complacency on a whole team scale. The commentators on Fox did note post game that we've been shithouse in all our final terms this year so maybe we for whatever reason we're not fit enough? Or do we think it's all mental (which is what I believe)?

Midfield was good for the most part. Boak outstanding again, Rockliff is now through his teething phase with us and I disagree with the complaints about Wines' game that have been interspersed throughout the thread. But must be some culpability for the lack of run there at the end (even though we seemed to continue to fare ok in the clearances).

Up forward the smalls & mid sizers in S.Gray, Rozee and Ebert were excellent. Not sure what the best approach for Robbie will be, as others have speculated maybe needs a rest as is struggling to get anywhere near enough of it at the moment and isn't having his usual impact when he does. Certainly want him to remain in for the Collingwood game though, feel we will need his experience and the nature of the game may bring a special performance out of him. Marshall not great but needs to remain in and be persisted with considering the absence of Dixon. If he nailed those couple of gettable shots would be a different story told about his game last night.

I dunno what to think. It was an ok performance for the majority of the night, but those last few minutes put a sour taste on what should have been a convincing victory. So to me, that indicates that not much has improved mentally which is concerning. But hey, four points and more experience for the super impressive group of young kids we're enjoying seeing contribute so much in their introduction to league footy. It's not all doom and gloom.

Pittard made his bed by targeting a 5 game player and knocking him over a couple of times off the ball.
Exactly.
X players always cop a few boos, but when you pick on one of our young studs you're just begging to be booed...doesn't matter who you are. Brad Scott would've asked/told Pittard to target Rozee.

Pity you missed the fantastic effort(s) of Drew to win the ball in the first place.
Tends to get overlooked in the razzle-dazzle of the other three, but makes just as much of a contribution.
I agree. I felt bad cutting it off, but the gif is too long as it is.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few of the players were unwell with a virus and ran out of gas because of it.

Flu has been getting around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Bonner was ******* s**t. The guy has no urgency whatsoever. He's so poor defensively. I'm certain we could drop him with Lienert now in the side when Jonas returns.

I'm not seeing what the Bonner detractors are seeing. 17 touches at 94% efficiency, his run off half back and kick to Wines on the lead was about the best use of the ball a player not named Steven Motlop has given us in years. We already lack enough run without losing Bonner.

I'm not seeing what the Bonner detractors are seeing. 17 touches at 94% efficiency, his run off half back and kick to Wines on the lead was about the best use of the ball a player not named Steven Motlop has given us in years. We already lack enough run without losing Bonner.

He's just laconic with actual defending. I'm not talking about one on one defending, but simply running to shut down an obvious switch on his side of the ground. Last week we managed to keep the Eagles under control for the entire game because our defenders would slide across the ground to cover if they made a switch. I don't understand why we can't do the same thing on the smaller Adelaide Oval.

If our running defenders (Bonner and Byrne-Jones) aren't going to use their run to push up the ground, they need to run to shut off those attacks.

I'm willing to give them a pass because of the effort they put in last week, but there's a reason why North Melbourne found it easy to get out the back. We do that against Collingwood and they will crucify us.

I'm not seeing what the Bonner detractors are seeing.

It's less about what he does than what he doesn't do. Too often, when winning a ball (either directly or by sacrificing for a teammate) demands that Bonner put his body on the line, he shies away from the contest.

We already lack enough run without losing Bonner.

Maybe, maybe not. Lienert's no slouch, so we may not lose too much raw run, and there's also the run that a harder player can create through willingness to win contested balls that Bonner will not.

Exactly.
X players always cop a few boos, but when you pick on one of our young studs you're just begging to be booed...doesn't matter who you are. Brad Scott would've asked/told Pittard to target Rozee.
Yep. Ex's get booed, but mainly good natured unless they were ****heads before hand. Scott would have told Jasper to try to rough Rozee and Butters up, but they seem to thrive on being targeted and play even better. And then the boo's are fair dinkum.

For those saying Marshall had a bad game or are calling for him to be dropped, consider this: According to AFL Player Ratings, which rates the player's impact on the game, Marshall had his best performance of the season. Marshall's impact was in the top half of all players on the field last night. I didn't watch the game but having gone through the gameday thread and looking at the qtr by qtr break down in the image below, it's fairly obvious that North massively tighened up on Marshall in the second half, shutting him out of the game. That's something Marshall is going to have to learn to deal with and improve as he matures. He shouldn't be dropped because the opposition locked him down. If that was the standard, we'd be dropping our best players every time the opposition keeps them quiet.

Take note, Burton was in the bottom 5 players for the 3rd or 4th week running (and barely rated a mention in the gameday thread, expect when it appeared he was injured). Bonner lifted his impact though.

Also, in typical Ports fashion 2 North nobodies had career best games.

Marshall.jpg

For those saying Marshall had a bad game or are calling for him to be dropped, consider this: According to AFL Player Ratings, which rates the player's impact on the game, Marshall had his best performance of the season. Marshall's impact was in the top half of all players on the field last night. I didn't watch the game but having gone through the gameday thread and looking at the qtr by qtr break down in the image below, it's fairly obvious that North massively tighened up on Marshall in the second half, shutting him out of the game. That's something Marshall is going to have to learn to deal with and improve as he matures. He shouldn't be dropped because the opposition locked him down. If that was the standard, we'd be dropping our best players every time the opposition keeps them quiet.

Take note, Burton was in the bottom 5 players for the 3rd or 4th week running (and barely rated a mention in the gameday thread, expect when it appeared he was injured). Bonner lifted his impact though.

Also, in typical Ports fashion 2 North nobodies had career best games.

Marshall.jpg
Not sure about that graph... I would have thought some of the players under Marshall played quite a bit better than he did.
Marshall wasn't useless but he was far from great.
(Fwiw..I like Marshall...always have)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back