Review Porf vs. Nort

Remove this Banner Ad

More to the point, what kind of a kick was that from Westhoff?
He can't think. If he thinks, he misses. When he uses only his instincts, he finds the open player and hits him perfectly.

Unpopular opinion but I kind of enjoyed the game for the following reasons:

I never felt truly threatened. Every time north got the ball they just ****** around with it. Watching Aaron Hall literally run around in circles before hoofing it was a highlight.

The theatre of Pittard and Polec was entertaining.

There was a number of great marks during the game.

It was more or less comfortable from start to finish.

Duursma and Rozee were great to watch.

North were going the biff and it added some fun and heat to the game.

Cunnington was an absolute beast to watch and I wish he was a Port player. He's such a 90s Magpie.

I walked away relatively disappointed with the scoreline but I felt like I enjoyed it enough for other reasons than the scoreboard.

I enjoyed the first three and a half quarters, but the end of Q4 was frustrating enough to kill my mood.

I think the booing of Jasper was the result of a perfect storm of a player who caused so much grief and frustration over the years + some people will just boo former players regardless + the early whack of Rozee + screw you AFL media I’ll boo as much as I like.

I didn’t like it, didn’t partake, but I wasn’t worried about it either.

After his spot on Channel 10 after the GWS game where he moaned and said booing affects him, it would’ve been a dereliction of duty not to boo.

You’re dead right about ‘frustration over the years’ component. The underperforming footballer with a nervous stomach typifies the Port Adelaide we’ve worked so hard to become since winning the 2007 Prelim.

And he wasn’t alone last night. There are still plenty on the list.

Last edited:

The booing of Jasper was really just a bit of fun. Sometimes it was Simpson-esque Springfield v Shelbyville stuff. There was a lot of laughter going on.

But watching the replay at the moment I really feel sorry for Jasper. He's a good, very human guy, was a really strong clubman, and still has a lot of friends at the club.

I almost wanted to give him a hug after the game. His human frailty is really his only undoing as a footballer.

The booing of Jasper was really just a bit of fun. Sometimes it was Simpson-esque Springfield v Shelbyville stuff. There was a lot of laughter going on.

But watching the replay at the moment I really feel sorry for Jasper. He's a good, very human guy, was a really strong clubman, and still has a lot of friends at the club.

I almost wanted to give him a hug after the game. His human frailty is really his only undoing as a footballer.

One day he's going to pull a Troy Chaplin-esque game sealing goal on us, and unlike when that twat Chaplin did it I won't be able to help having a wry smile on my face. Part of me wouldn't hate seeing him stick it up the portion of our supporter base who abused him for so many years.

Sam Powell-Pepper does so much bullocking work around the contest to open up space for his teammates. Knows exactly when to make the play himself and when to do the support stuff.

His improvement this year has flown under the radar a bit behind Boak and Rockliff turning back the clock. He's been great. 6-6-6 suits him to a tee.

His improvement this year has flown under the radar a bit behind Boak and Rockliff turning back the clock. He's been great. 6-6-6 suits him to a tee.

Sometimes it's really easy to forget he's only 21 and still learning the game at this level. One day he will just go BANG!

I noticed there were large number of our guys getting around both he and Polec post match. I certainly don't hold anything against him, flawed as he was he always had a crack and demonstrated bravery that perhaps went unrecognised by many. Even though we barely even received steak knives in the deal, I feel that it was the best move for the club as we are seeing Houston and Burton play some very good footy back there (& have Hartlett and Broadbent as potential inclusions later on down the track).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Polec/Pittard trade with North looks better as each week passes. Jasper would be playing for the 2s right now if he stayed. Polec is playing bruise free footy for North. He just refused to put his body on the line Friday night. That lack of commitment would drive me nuts if he playing for Port, and even his good outside game wouldn’t make up for that.

The Polec/Pittard trade with North looks better as each week passes. Jasper would be playing for the 2s right now if he stayed. Polec is playing bruise free footy for North. He just refused to put his body on the line Friday night. That lack of commitment would drive me nuts if he playing for Port, and even his good outside game wouldn’t make up for that.

Polec noticeably heard footsteps in a second quarter marking contest on the outer wing and ducked his head.

If only he didn't have that awful lean back kicking style.

Polec noticeably heard footsteps in a second quarter marking contest on the outer wing and ducked his head.

lol in the post match interviews, I think it was Ollie - said that they gave Polec some s**t for ducking his head and being a bit of a "cat"

This is a couple of nice moments but would have made me very bloody mad if I were watching at the time.

Four on one in our 50, a real paper over Ken's cracks play.

Five on one, there was at least one field umpire. Nicholls was ready to blow the whistle for unrealistic attempt as the non-controlling umpire.

It is my understanding Polec didn't have too many friends at Port.

He reminds me of Pete Klaven in I Love You, Man.

He’s a perfectly nice fella, but he’s always been a ‘girlfriend guy’.

He’s the sort of player that needs to be offered shorter term contracts. He’s cruising knowing he’s on a big fat deal

I'm not seeing what the Bonner detractors are seeing. 17 touches at 94% efficiency, his run off half back and kick to Wines on the lead was about the best use of the ball a player not named Steven Motlop has given us in years. We already lack enough run without losing Bonner.

Agreed. I thought it was his best game of the year. Run and carry, use of the footy, and his tackling/harassing was good too.

Sometimes people see what they want to see.

He’s the sort of player that needs to be offered shorter term contracts. He’s cruising knowing he’s on a big fat deal
He has almost nothing to play for right now given he’s at the start of a long contract and North are garbage. I reckon under a new coach we might see him forced to play through the midfield and maybe become a star but right now he is being played in a way that brings out his worst.

I’m honestly shocked he chose to go somewhere he’d be playing this pure outside role, he must’ve seen it as a chance to prolong his career or something. I thought he was leaving to get more midfield time, but it looks like he just wanted the money and longevity - maybe eyeing off the seagull role Harvey played. He could be such a better player than he is showing right now.

I’m still disappointed we lost him as I reckon under Schofield we would’ve seen him reach his best. It wasn’t to be though, and Butters is such a great pick up that it’s hard to really care all that much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back