Club History Port 150 documentary

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched it...and now I feel so flat that there's no footy for who knows how long.
Part of the reason why it was so good Saturday night, was it was straight after a bloody good win and the young guns all showed a lot.

Watching it myself, sent it to the lads back home. Hopefully the link works over there.

****, any Hinkley apologists watching that and still don’t think he should be skewered and toasted are just lying to themselves!

We’ve won fu** all being nice to the primaddonas. Time to turn up the heat.

EFCCB7CD-29C6-414B-B6C7-ECCE126A154E.jpeg

It definitely skimmed over some harder on field stuff.

Off the top of my head, amongst other too recent events that there would be a conflict of interest commenting on.

The drought and being Sturt's bridemaid.
Sacking Motley.
Sacking Ebert.
The choking years.
The Primus years.
The identity crisis.
John McCarthy.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Off the top of my head, amongst other too recent events that there would be a conflict of interest commenting on.

Sacking Motley.
Sacking Ebert.
The choking years.
The Primus years.
The identity crisis.
John McCarthy.

I think somewhere I mentioned that it felt like a quick-ish editing down of something, materials in total that were maybe twice as long in "directors cut" single movie form. Which makes me think that 150 years deserves a mini series, by era, bit like John Wood did back in the day.

Sacking Motley.
Sacking Ebert.
The choking years.
The Primus years.
The identity crisis.
John McCarthy.

It's a celebration, not a detailing of every tumultuous event.

I love how he changes when he talks about Port winning culture. He seems a laid back easy going light hearted guy most of the time, but when that comes up, he gets serious. His eyes change. His demeanour changes. He's not joking and you'd be silly to make a joke about it.

Compare that to Hinkley, have fun, someone has to lose, hahaha, Boaky Westy Robbie the boys good times, best win ever.

after hearing TG talk about winning my gf called it "scary" and "intense" and i was just laughing like "that's good". you're right it is unbelievable how Tim Genever turns from the guy with the loudest laugh in the room and the most happy-go-lucky attitude you've ever seen turn into a calculated leader of such a high calibre. that mentality and attitude of leading and accountability is what so many people have no idea about these days it's scary. not in footy, not in life.

It's a celebration, not a detailing of every tumultuous event.
All they need to do is play the Titanic recorder theme video of our 2 West Coast games if they want to sum up modern day Ports.

I assume the 2nd doco being made for the Adelaide Film Festival and was going to show and talk about our start to WWII more than the 1st one will be put on hold partly uncertainty and partly staff and money issues. Like the Olympics might have to be delayed for a year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone mentioned a series. That would be awesome. It could be as simple as text, narrator, images (pics, videos, cartoons, etc.)
Daniel Norton interviewed 45 people for the doco. So there is plenty of material. It's now a case of man power. Has Norts and another technical video person been left on skelton staff to work on it and gIve us stuff over the next 8 weeks??. I hope so but don't know what the club can and will do. People are being stood down at the moment so probably won't know until next week.

Norts at the 150th Gala Dinner told me that club wants to do something with all this footage they have but hadn't made up their mind when we spoke 4 weeks ago.

I assume the 2nd doco being made for the Adelaide Film Festival and was going to show and talk about our start to WWII more than the 1st one will be put on hold partly uncertainty and partly staff and money issues. Like the Olympics might have to be delayed for a year.
So, was the version that aired on tv a modified version of the one (also made by 57 Films) that was going to screen at the Adelaide Film Festival in October? Or is it indeed the same cut? Did the possible cancellation of the Festival force the club to reassess its distribution and release it on Channel 7, or was that always the strategy? Just wondering.

The broader issues that weren't covered in this 'celebratory' piece and that were raised in edgie's post are certainly worth documenting somewhere.. maybe not in a film of this type or in the official 150th book, but in something. I know many are sensitive issues (still), but too often we whitewash history. We can still present the facts whilst being respectful, non-judgemental and presenting events in context.

So, was the version that aired on tv a modified version of the one (also made by 57 Films) that was going to screen at the Adelaide Film Festival in October? Or is it indeed the same cut? Did the possible cancellation of the Festival force the club to reassess its distribution and release it on Channel 7, or was that always the strategy? Just wondering.

The broader issues that weren't covered in this 'celebratory' piece and that were raised in edgie's post are certainly worth documenting somewhere.. maybe not in a film of this type or in the official 150th book, but in something. I know many are sensitive issues (still), but too often we whitewash history. We can still present the facts whilst being respectful, non-judgemental and presenting events in context.
Norts told me they would be 2 distinct different productions. He said there will be some double up, there has to be about 1990, 1997 and 2004 in particular, but the next one will have more pre WWII stuff.

I know they had kept on working on the Onward to Victory one after the 150th Gala on 28 February when I spoke to Norts, but I don't know how much the virus situation changed what they put into it.

I agree a feature film type doco has to look at all 360 degree not just the positive stuff.

I have watched half of it now, and it is simply amazing!

But, so, Cos Cardone was responsible for leaking our meetings with AFL. I am in awe...
How can he tell that with a clean face? "We did what we did..." What does he mean by that?!

Geez...

Roots ever firm into the ground; relentlessly moving upwards onto the sky. It is the Port Way.

Yes. Leaves have fallen every Fall, and many Winters may have felt endless; but Port always keeps going on. That's why we are full of colourful Springs and fruitful Summers, and why "there will be a Port Adelaide Football Club forever."

Well done, Port. Well done!

My biggest takeaway from the doco was an amazement at how far standards have lowered over the last 5 years in terms of on-field performance. You look at guys like Cahill, Ginever, Williams, Abernethy, Tredrea etc. They personify what it means to be Port Adelaide. Uncompromising in its relentless pursuit of premierships.

It really hurts that it feels as though the "leaders" of the club appear settled to being mired in mediocrity such to ensure the club will be afloat without reaching any sort of greatness.

Was jarring how the doco was all "success success success" for most of it then suddenly pivoted away to all the tokenism of our current non-successful era. Skipped straight over the 2007 GF lol.
2007? What happened again in 2007?

734ee9e52cf748cc67cd074d69de27ec.jpg

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 5G using Tapatalk

I have watched half of it now, and it is simply amazing!

But, so, Cos Cardone was responsible for leaking our meetings with AFL. I am in awe...
How can he tell that with a clean face? "We did what we did..." What does he mean by that?!

Geez...

Frank = SANFL
Shadynasty = Cardone
Reggie = Ports
Geno = Adelaide media
The Gang = Ports BF board

Just watching the replay on 7HD right now — the events of 1990 and the SANFL.

Remember when we were going under 10 years ago and Rucci was writing gushing articles about ‘the kingmaker’ Gary Metcalf and the supposed clout of Kris Grant and Bohdan Jaworskyj?

rofl

Just watching again and Lynch trying to clobber Wakelin. Shaun Burgoyne starts heading over there and I remember him saying back then he was heading over to break it up and Akermanis grabbing him by the elbow and saying Nah you don't want to go there. Let them go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back