Port Adelaide…Contenders or pretenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree it is not their year. But take nothing away from Geelong, the forward structure they now have in place is arguably the best in the competition. I wouldn't be suprised if they end up holding the cup this year.

Pretenders. Further from a flag than the crows which is saying something. Someone in the match day thread aptly described them as between two generations but they will persist with the old guys for the next couple of years instead of trying to build a dynasty.

Of course with Hinkley it's a moot point they ain't going anywhere.

They're the gatekeeper side this year, where they beat up on all the pretenders, and never quite have enough to get past the genuine contenders.
This!.....They sit exactly in their rightful spot, in the top 8, but they’re not a top 4 team!

They won’t win a flag under Hinkley. Lost to Melbourne, Bulldogs, Geelong and GWS at home
I think this is a very good point, they’ve got to play all of the Dees, Cats & Dogs at home also & have still lost....They couldn’t have asked for anymore, pretty much the definition of a pretender.

Pretenders. Further from a flag than the crows which is saying something. Someone in the match day thread aptly described them as between two generations but they will persist with the old guys for the next couple of years instead of trying to build a dynasty.

Of course with Hinkley it's a moot point they ain't going anywhere.
Keep telling yourself that. Port are one change away from a flag.

Shame no one has the spine or knowledge to sack Hinkley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port traded for a premiership in the last few years and they have a lot of players in the pointy end of 30s or nearing 30s.

Motflop
Boak
Gray
Jonas
Dixon
Hartlett

Take these guys out in 1-3 years and this team will have massive holes.

They've traded most of their decent picks to get the better quality young guys and to lure over players.. no issue if you can achieve the premiership, but if they don't I think Hinkley will be goneski

Port traded for a premiership in the last few years and they have a lot of players in the pointy end of 30s or nearing 30s.

Motflop
Boak
Gray
Jonas
Dixon
Hartlett

Take these guys out in 1-3 years and this team will have massive holes.

They've traded most of their decent picks to get the better quality young guys and to lure over players.. no issue if you can achieve the premiership, but if they don't I think Hinkley will be goneski
I mean they have Marshall, Georgiadis, Butters, Duursma as good replacements. Motlop is meh, Hartlett isn’t even playing and they have got younger guys. I don’t think it’s that bad.

I mean they have Marshall, Georgiadis, Butters, Duursma as good replacements. Motlop is meh, Hartlett isn’t even playing and they have got younger guys. I don’t think it’s that bad.

If that's the case why aren't they winning?

Dixon is quiet = Georgiadis should be kicking bags. Marshall doesn't deserve to play AFL

I think everyone seriously underrates the impact these guys have on the team. How many games has Gray or Boak turned a game in their favour? Theres a few I can think of.

At absolute full strength they could yet win it, but they're starting to fall over.

Richmond at absolute full strength would stand a better chance.

-A fair bit if talent but overall an overrated list with too many missing pieces.
-Poorly Coached by a bog average Coach.

The next guy in charge will do better once the new breed come though but I think last year was their slight "window" with this line-up.

If that's the case why aren't they winning?

Dixon is quiet = Georgiadis should be kicking bags. Marshall doesn't deserve to play AFL

I think everyone seriously underrates the impact these guys have on the team. How many games has Gray or Boak turned a game in their favour? Theres a few I can think of.
Because they’re 19-20 and it takes time for them to step up to the top level?

Not many blokes are consistently lifting the load at that age.

I remembered last year port fans were saying that they’d be competing for flags year in year out for a few years. Thing is you got to strike while the iron is hot as you never know what happens the next year. Port had the same issue in 2014 where they almost beat us and thought they would be back but never did.

Port do have some key players who are over 30 or close too 30.

Dixon & Gray - To me are by far the best forwards
Jonas - Best defender
Boak - Best mid with Wines
Lynette, Motlop, Hartlett, Rockliff, McKenzie

but to there credit they do have sone great youth coming through in Butters, Rozee, Georgiadis etc it’s just interesting if they will blossom to elite or at least consistent players while the above are still playing to a high level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back