Port Adelaide…Contenders or pretenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Port has beaten these teams in 2021
8, 9, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 18

Can’t see them winning the flag this year.
So we’ve beaten teams below us and lost to those above. Therefore our ladder position acutely reflects our performances.

insightful.

threadworthy

Massively missed Lycett, Butters, Duursma, Fantasia and Marshall tonight. They've got some decent kids for depth filling those spots but they aren't the same thing as the big guns.

I'm not going to bash Kenny because he does a pretty good job but I reckon he had to adjust more than the plan which seemed to be to go sideways to try to spread the Cats. It ended up being turnover after turnover that they weren't in position to defend.

Jones forward was worth a go but it was blaringly obviously they didn't have enough beef up forward and really he needed to do more than that.

The backline had a shocker. The defensive work rate on turnovers was abysmal. A pretty ordinary night all round from Port.

They remain a flag chance because they've got a heap of talent at full strength and they've got plenty of changes they can make.

Lycett and Butters being out hurts us a lot not to mention Clurey, we’re a very different side with those guys. Our depth while solid is not the caliber of player those guys are, especially in big games. We also have quite a few players out of form. Hartlett, DBJ, Jonas, Marshall, Rozee and Dixon before tonight, all have had lacklustre years. If they find form leading into finals, and we get the energy of Butters and Duursma back, we’re a different beast. We’re ticking along ok-ish considering. Beating teams we should beat and are finally at least showing up against sides like Geelong. I’m confident we still push for top 4 in the back half of the year and at worst get a home final.

That’s a lot of what if’s though and if we do any worse than a prelim, Hinkley will be feeling the heat. There’s no reason this side shouldn’t be at worst pushing for a Grand Final appearance.

Yeah the only contenders are Melbourne Bulldogs Geelong and probably Brisbane this year. Doubt Richmond can make top 4 and if not cant see them in with a shot. Hoping it's a Melbourne vs Brisbane/Geelong grand final
Leave Geelong out of things imo - I would like to see a Melbourne v Brisbane GF with Brisbane taking out the cup due to them having been there abouts for the last couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leave Geelong out of things imo - I would like to see a Melbourne v Brisbane GF with Brisbane taking out the cup due to them having been there abouts for the last couple of years.
If Geelong doesn’t make it I want Demons to play and win. 56 years is a long time!

Should have sacked Hinkley years ago.

Criminal how they've wasted the careers of Boak and Gray with these years of mediocrity.
They finished 1st on the ladder and with a bit more luck make the grand final last year. Surely he can't be that bad and almost make a grand final?

If Geelong doesn’t make it I want Demons to play and win. 56 years is a long time!
yep, all aboard the Demons train if it isn't Geelong. Give their supporters something to finally cheer about

We’ve been pretenders for years and have some big deficiencies. If they are not fixed, we won’t achieve anything against the best teams.

Our forward line structure is pathetic and has been for the duration of the Hinkley period and we are seriously undermanned in defence.

Until they are rectified, we just aren’t at that top level. Unfortunately, the stubborn coaching panel has refused to try and fix this for a number of years and wasted the best years of some of our ageing stars with a false sense of hope.

Missed Fantasia and Butters tonight, Farrell and Woodcock just don’t compare. Both had under 6 touches.

Doesn’t seem like it’s our year, only hope is we get our players back and start to find form and do a bulldogs and win it from outside the 4.. but unlikely

They are behind the top 3 or 4 sides, but close enough to still win it if they hit their strides at the right time.

They have a pretty easy run home too looking at their fixture.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back