Port Adelaide…Contenders or pretenders

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon they are a pretty decent team, ran into a very determined Cats outfit tonight and showed at times they were their equal, just had some key disposal blemishes when they could least afford to.

Agree. I think what’s being overlooked is the fact that Port Adelaide have some significant outs due to injury.

Beating teams we should beat and are finally at least showing up against sides like Geelong.

Finally showing up against Geelong? You basically always show up against Geelong.

You beat us in the QF last year, beat us the previous time we played you at AO before that and the last time you played us at Geelong (2017) you got within a goal.

Port’s non-show against us in round 12 last year was definitely an outlier - you play well against us every other time including last night.

Pretty easy run home, should win 7 or 8 (Sydney in Adelaide being the test) means they'll be thereabouts at the pointy end of the season.

From there a good run with injuries and form could see them push things pretty hard.

They were 7pts from making the GF last year after all, and would have met the team they'd beaten in the Qual if they'd got there.

They finished 1st on the ladder and with a bit more luck make the grand final last year. Surely he can't be that bad and almost make a grand final?

Last year is weird for obvious reasons, but even with that considered, they've won one final in six years.

2020 bought him this season at least, but how many other coaches survive five years with one feeble finals appearance to show for it - especially with where their list is at?

They're a solid 3rd-6th type of team with a good coach and plenty of B+ and A- players, but do they have any genuine top 10 in the league kind of guys, the type who can drag you over the line in September?

If this squad was going to make a grand final I feel like last year was the best chance.

I feel ladder position reflects what they are, a side not quite as good as the Top-4 but clearly finals material.

Guess they'll finish 5/6. On their day they've got enough talent to get over the line, but I wouldn't put them in as favourites against the Top-4 sides.

Think we'll see Richmond pop up to the 5/6 region, Sydney and WCE to finish 7/8. GWS the only dark-horse that might snag enough wins to bridge the gap if Sydney or West Coast trail off.

Yeah this team just can not beat a quality team....

It's getting embarrassing

Port against the top 8

West Coast 37 point loss away
Brisbane 49 points loss away
W.Bulldogs 19 points loss home
Geelong 21 points loss home
Richmond 2 point win at home

It's not a strong form line against the top half of the ladder

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, we're probably not going to win the premiership or finish Top 4 from here. Best we can possibly hope for is 5th-8th and maybe make a Semi Final, or just hope that Melbourne, the Dogs, Geelong or Brisbane fall off a cliff in the second half of the season and we Bradbury our way into Top 4.

We have badly missed Lycett, Butters, Duursma and also recently Fantasia, Clurey and Marshall. We'll look pretty different with all those players back in the team.

Port against the top 8

West Coast 37 point loss away
Brisbane 49 points loss away
W.Bulldogs 19 points loss home
Geelong 21 points loss home
Richmond 2 point win at home

It's not a strong form line against the top half of the ladder
Richmond was undermanned for that game and missing Martin too if I recall correctly?..

Port need to finish top 2 and get home finals to be any chance this year..

If I was gonna put my money on it.. Its gonna be a Dees/Dogs GF..

But my heart says the Tigers will be there abouts again too.. they seem to be able to find a couple of extra gears in the second half of the season in recent years..

Their best 22 is good enough to beat anyone. I think the depth is the issue. There were a couple of guys playing last night that looked well below AFL level.

I think they are missing Butters and Lycett in a big way.

They have us in a couple of weeks. I'm not writing us off at all. We play Adelaide Oval pretty well and there's quite a few doubts around Port. Will be a good indicator of both where we and they are at I reckon.

After Eagles, Bulldogs and Lions it was clear that they aren’t quite up to it this season. Great footy outfit, but the other contenders have turned them into witches hats at times, and they can’t seem to win at home against contenders. A high-functioning pretender season, just not their year, and I’d be disappointed if they snuck into the top 4 after 23 rounds. No alarm bells though.

When I hear those lyrics ("Two worlds collided" especially),
I get tingles, hair standing up on my arms, the back of my neck, also other places.
I feel really good to be Australian, I think about this Great Southern Land.
I get a montage running through my "third eye", like when they show Rocky Balboa training in the first and second Rocky movies and the one with the evil Russian guy that's pumped full of steroids too.
Except this isn't a montage of "Italian Stallion", this is me doing really Australian things, like fist-pumping to 1980s Australian rock legends like the Oils, Divinyls, Acca Dacca, eating pie with sauce.
I think about this bird I picked up from The Lighthouse Hotel back in 1989.
She had a mullet and a tattoo of a rose on her arse, "she could make a sailor blush!"

I can't even imagine how amazing it must feel if you're a Port Adelaide supporter, holding up that scarf while the lights go on and off, on and off, in time with the music.

do do do DO DO DO DO DO DO DO!
<pause>
do do do DO DO DO DO DO DO DO!
WE COULD LIVE... FOR A THOUSAND YEARS!!!!!!!

I swear I get chills just thinking about it! Amazing.

Anyway they'll be fine.

I think they are missing Butters and Lycett in a big way.

They have us in a couple of weeks. I'm not writing us off at all. We play Adelaide Oval pretty well and there's quite a few doubts around Port. Will be a good indicator of both where we and they are at I reckon.
Think the swans showed us where they are at last night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back