Port Adelaide 2017 draft/trade period - making it look easy

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
IN: Rockliff (FA), Motlop (FA), Watts (traded for pick 31)
OUT: Trengove (FA), Impey (traded for pick 34)

Ah Chee was also traded out for a late pick swap, and Krakouer and Monfries retired. Small potatoes but would've freed up a few hundred k on top of replacing them with 3 draftees.

Current draft picks: 34, 49, 62 (out of the first round from last year's trades).

Effectively traded Impey for Watts and retained a pick in the second round. Motlop and Trengove (who was on the outer) effectively cancel each other out, so they only need to accommodate the salary of Rockliff moving forward into the new CBA. If they can offload Lobbe for a token pick they'll be absolutely laughing.

Has a trade period ever gone so smoothly?

Has a trade period ever gone so smoothly?

Cats a few years ago brought in Dangerfield, Henderson, Scott Selwood and Zac Smith with absolute minimum fuss.

Cleared out some dead wood in Walker and Jansen, moved on Stevie J for a token pick.

We were left with bargain-basement draft picks, but still ended up with Menegola (#66) and Buzza (#69), plus Parsons and Ruggles from the Rookie Draft that year.

Time for Ken to deliver.
This.

He's got a fat new contract and Cripps has assembled an excellent list with plenty of talent.

In the past few seasons, they've picked up Ryder, Dixon, Motlop, Watts and Rockliff- while holding onto all of their good players. No excuses anymore. They've plugged every hole that they needed to. Time for Ken to deliver.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#NeverTradeUsApart
3 wanted to go home, 2 of those wanted more opportunity and Lobbe also wants more opportunity.
Motlop & Watts, Geelong and Melbourne couldn't get rid of them quick enough.
Rockliff is a gun though.
Easy to put it like that but remember both swans and cats wanted watts and crows wanted Motlop.

Neither demons or cats could suit their weakness. Port can, Port only need Motlop to break lines not tackle we have to many bulls to do that already. Even on Motlops most inconsistent nights he still breaks lines. Port only needs watts to drag a key defender away form Dixon so he isn't double teamed, create in the forward 50 with his elite kick and score. Demons needed him to be a contested marking beast which he wasn't.

Now all we need to do is free Lobbe to Brisbane. Maybe Essendon will give us Francis for a set of steak knives?

Lobbe out to clear up the cap space (his contract is from his best year - it'd be a fair whack I reckon) and Young for a usable pick would top it off.

Rockcliff is a gun, Motlop and Watts are ok when they feel like it and are better than who they replace so Port should be better next year

There's no doubt Port have improved their list this trade period, some really nice moves. You can't really ask for anything more from your list manager in trade period than to find you some good players that will improve your side, get rid of some dead wood and manage your salary cap appropriately. I reckon they have ticked all those boxes.

I wasn't a huge fan of them in 2017 to be honest - they belted all the crap sides and then lost nearly every game vs top 8 sides. However with some nice new additions to the midfield plus Watts who I quite rate there might be a fair bit more substance to them next year.

Nabbing FA is the way to go. Costs cap space but don't lose valuable picks.

It's a good strategy. There's always a Trengove type you can move on for more cap space.
Not always. Look at the Pies last year. The fact that FA can be overpaid on long contracts can cause issue's. Call it the Mayne effect.

List changes look interesting, I get Motlops run will help on what I've seen.
Really scary thought is the SA sides could dominate next year.

Big footy cracks me up. We didn’t have a first round pick this year. Have managed to replace 235 games of experience of 3 players that weren’t in top 22 for most of the year, replace them with 400 odd games of 3 players that have all in some stage of their careers been quality players, yet some of the experts on here are calling it speculative trading. Hilarious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back