Club Focus Port Adelaide 2023 - Woodland, Scholz sign on via PSP

AFLW club focus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Approved signings:
PORT ADELAIDE
  • Laquoiya Cockatoo-Motlap
  • Litonya Cockatoo-Motlap
  • Angela Foley (from the Adelaide Crows)
  • Gemma Houghton (from Fremantle)
  • Maria Moloney (from the Brisbane Lions)
  • Justine Mules (from the Adelaide Crows)

Erin Phillips not among them, might be a trade or might still be pending...

RussellEbertHandball how you feeling about the build so far?
I don't know a lot of the women but I like we have a decent mix so far of experience and youth and also a decent spread of positions.

3 multiple premiership players from Adelaide inc the best player Erin Phillips, a 4th premiership player in Indy Tahau and Gemma Houghton from Freo are a good base to build a team around IMO. Then we have picked some good ordinary footballer types with AFLW experience. Every team needs these type of players.

I don't know if its because of age restrictions or they have set aside these players for the draft, but I was hoping to see a few girls from our U/18 NGA signed up but that hasn't happened.

In 2021 Port had a 15 year old Lauren Young in our NGA and she made the All Oz team at the U/19 championships and she won the 2021 SANFLW's B&F award. She had to get special permission to play in the U/19 championships. Think Covid meant they adjusted it to and U/19 championships last year.

She turned 16 after the season ended and in late 2021 tore her ACL at training and is having 2022 off. Not sure if she is eligible for the 2023 season starting in August or she has to wait until 2024. When the season was Jan to March she was eligible for the 2024 season.

There is nobody as good as her in our NGA but there are 3 or 4 players in our NGA who are next in level down after her who have achieved a bit in the SANFLW and at the U/18 championships this year.

Bold players recruited from an AFLW club

Erin Phillips - forward / mid
Ange Foley - half back / utility
Justine Mules - mid
Maria Moloney - mid

Gemma Houghton - key forward
Laquoiya Cockatoo-Motlap - forward pocket
Litonya Cockatoo-Motlap - half back
Indy Tahau - defender / utility
Ebony O'Dea - defensive mid
Hannah Dunn - defender
Maggie MacLachlan - defensive forward / utility

Jade De Melo - half forward ****** has played 2 games for Freo drafted from North Adelaide was close to BOG in the 2022 SANFLW GF recently
Jade Halfpenny - tall forward
Jessa Doumanis - forward
Abbey Dowrick - mid
Alex Ballard - half back
Liz McGrath - ruck
Kate Surman - mid / forward
Jacqui Yorston - inside mid
Britt Perry - small forward
Cheyenne Hammond - defender

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know a lot of the women but I like we have a decent mix so far of experience and youth and also a decent spread of positions.

3 multiple premiership players from Adelaide inc the best player Erin Phillips, a 4th premiership player in Indy Tahau and Gemma Houghton from Freo are a good base to build a team around IMO. Then we have picked some good ordinary footballer types with AFLW experience. Every team needs these type of players.

I don't know if its because of age restrictions or they have set aside these players for the draft, but I was hoping to see a few girls from our U/18 NGA signed up but that hasn't happened.

In 2021 Port had a 15 year old Lauren Young in our NGA and she made the All Oz team at the U/19 championships and she won the 2021 SANFLW's B&F award. She had to get special permission to play in the U/19 championships. Think Covid meant they adjusted it to and U/19 championships last year.

She turned 16 after the season ended and in late 2021 tore her ACL at training and is having 2022 off. Not sure if she is eligible for the 2023 season starting in August or she has to wait until 2024. When the season was Jan to March she was eligible for the 2024 season.

There is nobody as good as her in our NGA but there as 3 or 4 players in our NGA who are next in level down after her who have achieved a bit in the SANFLW and at the U/18 championships this year.

Bold players recruited from an AFLW club

Justine Mules - mid
Maria Moloney - mid

Hannah Dunn - defender

Jade De Melo - half forward ****** has played 2 games for Freo drafted from North Adelaide was close to BOG in the 2022 SANFLW GF recently
Jessa Doumanis - forward
Abbey Dowrick - mid
Alex Ballard - half back
Liz McGrath - ruck
You're more across Port's build than I am!

Took me ages to find and I still don't have a concrete answer, but the AFLW draft last year had a cut off of turning 18 on or before 31 December 2021. So I would expect it to be the same this year (I feel like someone would have said something if it had changed). NAB AFL Talent Pathway

From what you're saying it sounds like Young turns 17 later this year, so she should be draft eligible in 2023 I think.

So if I rearrange those names a bit:

Forward
Jessa Doumanis - forward

Ruck
Liz McGrath - ruck

Mid
Justine Mules - mid
Maria Moloney - mid

Abbey Dowrick - mid

Defender
Alex Ballard - half back
Hannah Dunn - defender

Looks like good coverage of different parts of the ground.

You're more across Port's build than I am!

Took me ages to find and I still don't have a concrete answer, but the AFLW draft last year had a cut off of turning 18 on or before 31 December 2021. So I would expect it to be the same this year (I feel like someone would have said something if it had changed). NAB AFL Talent Pathway

From what you're saying it sounds like Young turns 17 later this year, so she should be draft eligible in 2023 I think.

So if I rearrange those names a bit:

Forward
Jessa Doumanis - forward

Ruck
Liz McGrath - ruck

Mid
Justine Mules - mid
Maria Moloney - mid

Abbey Dowrick - mid

Defender
Alex Ballard - half back
Hannah Dunn - defender

Looks like good coverage of different parts of the ground.
The AFL / AFLW on several issues have hinted at certain policies and then never set them in place or changed them.

There have been 3 or 4 articles over the last couple of years on Port's website about NGA talent but never definitive how Port get access to those NGA players, unlike the men's NGA rules, that whilst constantly changing, at least are announced and locked in well before any relevant draft.

A cut off of turning 18 on or before 31 December 2021 makes sense for a season starting in January. Common sense says that a 30 June or maybe 31 July cut off for a season starting in August would be appropriate. But the issue for the girls like the boys is finishing year 12. Turning 18 in June and then leaving year 12 to play AFLW in August might cause issues. If you have finished year 12 as a 17 year old or left school before year 12 then its not an issue.

Young was still 15 when she won the equivalent of the SANFLW Magarey Medal on 1st June 2021 but had turned 16 by late November when she tore her ACL at training for West Adelaide.

The OP in this Port board thread is consistently updated.

The AFL / AFLW on several issues have hinted at certain policies and then never set them in place or changed them.

There have been 3 or 4 articles over the last couple of years on Port's website about NGA talent but never definitive how Port get access to those NGA players, unlike the men's NGA rules, that whilst constantly changing, at least are announced and locked in well before any relevant draft.
AFLW Rules, where different from the AFL, are in the AFLW CBA (which is a very odd place to put it but yeah). There is afaik one supplementary document that the CBA refers to which isn't published anywhere, but the clubs seem to have it.

We didn't have a replacement one for the second 2022 season until like three weeks ago, and they haven't actually published it... and then it's only for a year so probably change again next year :sweatsmile:

But they are talking about combining the AFL and AFLW CBAs into one CBA so that would be nice. I won't have to have two resource threads then for starters 🤣

Some of the stuff like free agency rules and compensation and stuff that isn't fully elucidated in the AFL in any particular policy document but is occasionally published by journalists who ask questions to the right people is quite similar for AFLW though, except there's less journalists asking questions and therefore less answers.

I’m still surprised they haven’t poached more crows girls
I know they went hard after 2022 GF MVP and triple premiership player Anne Hatchard, but she said no, despite growing up a Port supporter. The crows are pretty tight group given how much success they have had together. Port would have spoken to many others.

Pretty sure they had 7 players x 3 flags and 5 x 2 flags who played in the 2022 GF and 2 x 2 flags on the inactive list - Foley did her ACL in 2021 GF and Van Haggen who refused to get the Covid vaccine jab, before Port signed triple premiership players Phillips and Mules and dual premiership player Foley.

Last edited:
I know they went hard after 2022 GF MVP and triple premiership player Anne Hatchard, but she said no, despite growing up a Port supporter. The crows are pretty tight group given how much success they have had together. Port would have many spoken to others.

Pretty sure they had 7 players x 3 flags and 5 x 2 flags who played in the 2022 GF and 2 x 2 flags on the inactive list - Foley did her ACL in 2021 GF and Van Haggen who refused to get the Covid vaccine jab, before Port signed triple premiership players Phillips and Mules and dual premiership player Foley.
I would have targeted Ponter, Stevie Lee Thompson, Eloise Jones, Sarah Allan and Richelle Martin

Maybe you did but they decided to stay but those were the ones that wouldn’t be getting top dollar at crows but are all quality

PORT ADELAIDE

B:
Indy Tahau, Alex Ballard
HB: Cheyenne Hammond, Ange Foley, Jacqui Yorston
C: Ebony O'Dea, Hannah Dunn, Justine Mules
HF: Gemma Houghton, Jade Halfpenny, Kate Surman
F: Erin Phillips, Britt Perry
Foll: Liz McGrath, Maria Moloney, Abbey Dowrick
Int from: Tessa Doumanis, Litonya Cockatoo-Motlap, Laquoiya Cockatoo-Motlap, Maggie MacLachlan, Jade De Melo, Olivia Levicki, Julia Teakle

Structurally, Port Adelaide has built a fairly solid side. The tall defensive stocks are a little slim, and 19-year-old Tahau will have to take the No.1 forward, as she did at Brisbane earlier this year. Phillips, Houghton and Surman all have genuine match-winning ability in attack, and the Power should bring in some strong South Australian draft talent, particularly through the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back