Club Focus Port Adelaide 2023 - Woodland, Scholz sign on via PSP

AFLW club focus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Signings so far:

AFLW: players
Open Age: players
NGA Zone: nil

Last edited by a moderator:

THE FOUR expansion clubs will be able to sign up to 14 current AFLW players in a special 'expansion signing period', in proposed rules released by the AFL on Monday.

Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and Sydney will join the NAB AFLW competition ahead of the 2022-23 season, rounding out all 18 clubs.

The AFL hasn’t yet confirmed rules around the number of players per existing club who can move to new clubs.

Last expansion round, Brisbane and Fremantle could lose up to eight players, given Gold Coast and West Coast were entering the competition, with other teams losing up to four.

The new clubs can also acquire players through the following methods:

• Open-age signings: players who have previously nominated for the NAB AFLW Draft and aren’t on a list
  • Under-18 talent from their NGA region. There will be a limit on this category, which is yet to be determined
  • Sign and trade period: following the expansion signing period. Expansion clubs cannot on-trade players they have signed through other mechanisms
  • NAB AFLW Draft
The expansion clubs will receive the first eight picks of the state-based draft, with the order to be determined at random.

They will then receive remaining picks at the end of each round, following the existing 14 clubs.

A number of Essendon and Hawthorn VFLW players nominated for the 2021 draft, making them eligible for signing as an open-age player.

Bombers VFLW skipper and competition best and fairest Georgia Nanscawen opted not to nominate for the 2021 draft, but should be eligible as an open-age signing as she has previously gone through the drafting process.

The AFL has said final list build rules will be determined in 2022.

Port don't have a SANFLW team so there isn't an existing team to raid when building their AFLW team for 2022-23. Instead, Port has invested in their academy programs, which they will have some access to through their NGA region. Other sources of players include the draft, existing AFLW players via trade and free agency, and open-age signings.

One Port Adelaide NGA player, Lauren Young, played in the actual grand final for West Adelaide last year so didn't play in the curtain raiser.

12 other Port Academy U17 players featuring in the SANFLW grand final curtain raiser last year (a mix of 2022-23, 2023-24 and 2024-25 season eligible draftees).

Some more names include: Grace McNicol (West Adelaide), Alissa Brook (South Adelaide), Bethany Sigley (West Adelaide), Lucy Boyd (West Adelaide), Taylah Roberts (Norwood), Jemma Whitington-Charity (Eagles), Deriney Headon (South Adelaide), Brooke Boileau (South Adelaide), Marlie Fiegert (Eagles), Jayde Hickey (Norwood), Shineah Goody (Eagles) and Chloe Whitington-Charity (Eagles).

PMBangers Pie 4 Life any thoughts on who they should keep an eye on?

Kelli Underwood on Offsiders this morning reckons Erin Phillips will be going to Port Adelaide and bringing a couple of other crows with her.

I know it’s been mooted for many years, and at one point was described as an agreement if Port got a license one day back in 2015;

But I think that’s the first MSM journo to say it out loud since Port’s license bid was confirmed? Is that right Ford Fairlane?

If so then I reckon it’ll be a couple more weeks until an announcement, once Adelaide’s finals campaign is over.

Eight PA academy players in the SA squad.

Goody probably going to get best on ground in a strong team against WA today
Goody is a bottom-ager though.

Syme, Kustermann, Waters, Scutchings and Ellis the draft-eligible players. The former two are the way I'd go (if limited to say two). I'm most interested to see what the Crows do re: Ewings. They will need to sell a big piece to get ahead of Port Adelaide, on top of what Port will already raid (and we've learnt that only when they take more than needed in expansion ala Conti, that you get decent compensation).

Interesting though it may have just been a slip of the tongue/mind blank for Waters today. I chatted to her and she's like "I'd love to play for the Crows, or any side that would love to have me, I just want to play at the top level.". For me, she might have blanked that Port are coming in for the next draft, or it could well be she's a Crows fan, but yeah just found it interesting.

Port seems to think they’ll have first dibs on their NGA/Academy prospects throughout (similar to the boys). Which if true, means they’ll be able to access Lauren Young and Shineah Goody for no cost next season…

Would be remarkable if so.

For those playing at home that’s pick one and two (at this stage) for next year.

petits

Team Captain
Feb 8, 2022
AFL Club
GWS
And now will they announce some other players? Or are they waiting for the actual sign & trade period to be announced.

And now will they announce some other players? Or are they waiting for the actual sign & trade period to be announced.
Yep! Clubs are just having a free for all atm, the AFL drags their heels actually announcing dates and mechanisms for the list build so it’s just whatever haha.

Second signing is Ange Foley!

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yep! Clubs are just having a free for all atm, the AFL drags their heels actually announcing dates and mechanisms for the list build so it’s just whatever haha.

Second signing is Ange Foley!
4 new teams and it’s like a player news every second or third day.

Very slow.

Better to rip a bandaid from a hairy leg straight away, it’s painful to do this so slowly.

4 new teams and it’s like a player news every second or third day.

Very slow.

Better to rip a bandaid from a hairy leg straight away, it’s painful to do this so slowly.
Port should be a bit quicker now that they’ve begun, I suspect they wanted to announce Phillips first so they waited on others.

Essendon has one announcement every week or two, Hawthorn and Sydney similar in terms of announcements but then Sydney will announce several at once so they’re up to 12 or 13 now.

Few other moves and speculation bubbling along but I think the dam wall breaks when the dates are nailed down and they have deadlines and a framework for getting it done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
I'm little surprised Port haven't announced more signings from the SANFLW particular the more experienced kind/ ones that have previously nominated for the draft and we're over looked

Maria Moloney (Brisbane) becomes the fourth player to commit to Port Adelaide.

Another famous name joins Port Adelaide
PHILLIPS isn’t the only famous name returning to Port Adelaide as part of its inaugural AFLW list build, with twins Laquoiya and Litonya Cockatoo-Motlap committing to the club.

The pair's uncle is former Port Adelaide forward Che Cockatoo-Collins.

Despite possessing similar attributes, Litonya plays largely across the half-back line, while Laquoiya is a handy forward pocket.

“Family is really important to us and I think it’s really special now that my sister and I are the first girls in our family to get picked for Port Adelaide,” Litonya said.

Laquoiya added, “all my mother’s brothers – Uncle Che, Uncle David and Uncle Donald all played for Port Adelaide in the SANFL, and Uncle Jason Cockatoo. Uncle Che also played for the Power. We have a strong family history with the club and for my sister and I, it just made sense to continue our family’s legacy…our uncles are like father figures to us.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back