Club Focus Port Adelaide 2022 - Horne-Francis, Jr. Rioli, Evans, McCallum, Scully, Marshall, Williams

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

I'm finding Port's plans in this trade period really fascinating.

Now that the AFL has ruled out them being able to trade both first and second round futures, they're almost certainly going to have to trade a player worth at minimum an early second round pick to get all their deals done. Who could it possibly be?

I'm finding Port's plans in this trade period really fascinating.

Now that the AFL has ruled out them being able to trade both first and second round futures, they're almost certainly going to have to trade a player worth at minimum an early second round pick to get all their deals done. Who could it possibly be?

Won’t they just give up on Rioli and/or Ratogolea?

I don't think so.

They'll find it hard to get players to nominate them in future years if they do that.
We left Daniel Gorringe at the altar a few years back and it made absolutely zero difference to our ability to attract players in future years.

It can have an influence though. If you want a player, you're better off trying to get a fair deal done than trying to "win" every trade.
Trying to force out existing players who don't want to leave is just as likely if not more likely to have a negative effect on club culture than missing out on a trade target or two IMO.

I think most Port fans would be happy to get a fair deal done rather than trying to 'win' the trades. Unfortunately North fans seem to think a 'fair deal' is a billion first round picks and a reanimated peak Russell Ebert, which doesn't leave us much to get the lower priority deals done, especially given the AFL's utterly pointless decision today.

It can have an influence though. If you want a player, you're better off trying to get a fair deal done than trying to "win" every trade.
Which trade on our current offers do you have Port as "winning" out of curiosity? Is it the two firsts+ whatever for JHF?

Which trade on our current offers do you have Port as "winning" out of curiosity? Is it the two firsts+ whatever for JHF?
What is the "whatever" going to be though? That's what I can't get my head around.

As of right now I think you're in a bit of a pickle trying to get trades done for two contracted players + a bloke that West Coast were very dirty about losing.

You don't have enough picks to get all these deals done and the only player that has been spoken about going out the other way has been Bonner, who is 25, averages 11 games a year and really isn't worth much at all. I just think someone on the level of a Sinn, Bergman, Durrsma, etc. is going to have to get involved in order for you to get this done.

What is the "whatever" going to be though? That's what I can't get my head around.

As of right now I think you're in a bit of a pickle trying to get trades done for two contracted players + a bloke that West Coast were very dirty about losing.

You don't have enough picks to get all these deals done and the only player that has been spoken about going out the other way has been Bonner, who is 25, averages 11 games a year and really isn't worth much at all. I just think someone on the level of a Sinn, Bergman, Durrsma, etc. is going to have to get involved in order for you to get this done.
There's Esava who hasn't publically said anything, and Rioli who could potentially go through to the PSD if needed (wouldn't be ideal and not the way Port seems to like to operate but it's an out of the ordinary situation with JHF).

So to me you just go for JHF first, if we get the others or not whatever. And again surely what we've offered should be enough to shake JHF free - it wont be that different that was offered for Peak Judd, and we're talking a 19 year old that doesn't want to be at the club.

Bonner is worth a similar amount to Rioli. Maybe slightly less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neither of those players is worth as much as JHF.
I respectfully disagree. Both of those players will have a greater impact in your midfield next year that jhf will have on ours. Taranto is a former pick 2, b and f winning all Australian mid. You got him for a steal. Only difference is Jhf is under contract. But even if they aren’t worth as much, you are still getting both of them for less than we are trying to get jhf, Rioli and ratagulea, both of whom don’t add the same value as hopper.

Possibly not. 2 firsts, a second (which we got by giving up a player of note like is being asked), 2 thirds and a player worth potentially a late second. It’s a fair bit to work with.
I'm not sure Geelong will even trade a contracted Ratugolea for a third. They already traded out two third round picks, citing the fact that they weren't going to use them as the reason for doing so. I think they'd just hold him to his contract as they're already light on for key defenders.

I respectfully disagree. Both of those players will have a greater impact in your midfield next year that jhf will have on ours. Taranto is a former pick 2, b and f winning all Australian mid. You got him for a steal. Only difference is Jhf is under contract. But even if they aren’t worth as much, you are still getting both of them for less than we are trying to get jhf, Rioli and ratagulea, both of whom don’t add the same value as hopper.
It doesn't matter what you or I believe their worth is. North has already said they won't trade JHF for 8 and your future first, so therefore he is worth more than Taranto/Hopper who will both be got for a late first and a second combo (with Soldo as steak knives).

Port have done well, even more so if they can turn pick 33 into Ratugolea. They are building a very promising young squad now. They have some stars in Wines and Aliir, some handy role players in Houston, Burton, SPP, Fantasia, Finlayson and Rioli and a great group of young talent developing together including Rozee, Butters, Marshall, Georgiades, Bergman, Duursma, Hayes, Jones, JHF and Sinn. If they can land Kosi Pickett next year and add him to the Wines, Aliir, Butters, Rozee, Marshall, JHF and Sinn mix then they will have a very bright future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back