Club Focus Port Adelaide 2022 - Horne-Francis, Jr. Rioli, Evans, McCallum, Scully, Marshall, Williams

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

FNmpx26akAIE6mT

Young guns extend their time at Alberton

No doubt Jones and Amon will sign at some stage. Amon would have some decent offers from interstate though. Looking at who is left i can see Motlop and Mayes as definate last seasons for us, Gray would be a wait and see how the body goes and Similar with Mckenzie, then theres a big group that need to show something this year or get cut. Mcentee, Frederick and schofield the biggest risk of being cut.

Would assume Pasini, Mead, Skinner and Dumont will all get an extension

Port aren’t about to “start a rebuild” we did a mini rebuild on the run years ago. We need to fill holes in the list, not “rebuild” it.

Fogarty will make it at Adelaide, or get delisted.

Maybe a team takes a punt on him if he’s delisted but no one is trading Adelaide anything for him.

There’s every chance Adelaide targets one of the kfs in this draft and will roll with thilthorpe, himmelberg and player x as their future.

Port aren’t about to “start a rebuild” we did a mini rebuild on the run years ago. We need to fill holes in the list, not “rebuild” it.

Maybe a team takes a punt on him if he’s delisted but no one is trading Adelaide anything for him.

There’s every chance Adelaide targets one of the kfs in this draft and will roll with thilthorpe, himmelberg and player x as their future.
Looking at your age profile I think you're delaying the inevitable.....Who replaces key players Boak, Gray, Dixon, Tom Jonas and Scott Lycett? Sam Hayes is likely the Lycett replacement but who replaces the others class wise?

Looking at your age profile I think you're delaying the inevitable.....Who replaces key players Boak, Gray, Dixon, Tom Jonas and Scott Lycett? Sam Hayes is likely the Lycett replacement but who replaces the others class wise?
Sam Hayes is already shown he’s an upgrade on lycett (in his 2nd game he got more hitouts :47 which is easily more than lycett has ever had in a game In his career.

Robbie gray has been a cream on top player for several years now. At 34 years old He hasn’t consistently played in the midfield for years and has just made it through the last few seasons on class. We’ve been playing with Robbie gray being 1/4th of the player he was for a while. Losing him completely isn’t going to be any more an issue than it already has been.

We’ve drafted Georgiades Marshall and lord while bringing in finlayson. We’re as set for life after Dixon as we ever could be really. We’ve done the hard work there already

Jonas. Lol. Jonas is a workmanlike player who at his best was a good stopper but the last couple of years he’s just been passable. We’ve brought in Alir. We have Jonas Alir clurey and McKenzie as key defenders. 4 guys for 3 spots and the only reason Jonas is an automatic inclusion over any of them is he is captain, and that will finish at the end of the year obviously. Pasini has been absolutely killing it in the sanfl this year and is ready. Just like losing lycett has been beneficial to our team cause we’re playing a better younger player now, losing Jonas could allow us to play a better younger player in his spot.

We’ve already either replaced these players you mention or lost their top end abilities ages ago.

The biggest loss will be boak, and we’ve drafted a heap of very good midfield prospects in the last few years. you could single out any team in the league and ask how they will cope losing a gun. Nearly every team in the league, no matter where they are on the ladder has a boak type gun at the end of their career. Adelaide, freo, pies.

Is there holes we need to address? Hell yes. But we’re not “at the start of a rebuild”

Sam Hayes is already shown he’s an upgrade on lycett (in his 2nd game he got more hitouts :47 which is easily more than lycett has ever had in a game In his career.

Robbie gray has been a cream on top player for several years now. At 34 years old He hasn’t consistently played in the midfield for years and has just made it through the last few seasons on class. We’ve been playing with Robbie gray being 1/4th of the player he was for a while. Losing him completely isn’t going to be any more an issue than it already has been.

We’ve drafted Georgiades Marshall and lord while bringing in finlayson. We’re as set for life after Dixon as we ever could be really. We’ve done the hard work there already

Jonas. Lol. Jonas is a workmanlike player who at his best was a good stopper but the last couple of years he’s just been passable. We’ve brought in Alir. We have Jonas Alir clurey and McKenzie as key defenders. 4 guys for 3 spots and the only reason Jonas is an automatic inclusion over any of them is he is captain, and that will finish at the end of the year obviously. Pasini has been absolutely killing it in the sanfl this year and is ready. Just like losing lycett has been beneficial to our team cause we’re playing a better younger player now, losing Jonas could allow us to play a better younger player in his spot.

We’ve already either replaced these players you mention or lost their top end abilities ages ago.

The biggest loss will be boak, and we’ve drafted a heap of very good midfield prospects in the last few years. you could single out any team in the league and ask how they will cope losing a gun. Nearly every team in the league, no matter where they are on the ladder has a boak type gun at the end of their career. Adelaide, freo, pies.

Is there holes we need to address? Hell yes. But we’re not “at the start of a rebuild”
Thanks for the insight. Were you this confident prior to flogging the bottom decimated team?

It's quite possible, especially if we don't trust Himmelberg to be a legit player. We've got Thilthorpe and Gollant who'll end up as mainstays and I imagine Lemming/Keeler would be really tempting to pair with those two. As much as I'd prefer another midfielder to pair with Rachele and Cook in time and I'm warming to the idea of retaining Tex for another year.

McKenzie is how old and not too many would class him as a key defender, he's more a 3rd tall type anyway?

You're seeing a lot more in Marshall and Finlayson than I am and is Georgiades going to stat long term?

McKenzie is how old and not too many would class him as a key defender, he's more a 3rd tall type anyway?

You're seeing a lot more in Marshall and Finlayson than I am and is Georgiades going to stat long term?
There’s no more reason to think Georgiades is going anywhere than any other player at any other club. We’ve got a great record at keeping players. He’s contracted anyway.

Anyway we’re probably moving off topic here.

It's quite possible, especially if we don't trust Himmelberg to be a legit player. We've got Thilthorpe and Gollant who'll end up as mainstays and I imagine Lemming/Keeler would be really tempting to pair with those two. As much as I'd prefer another midfielder to pair with Rachele and Cook in time and I'm warming to the idea of retaining Tex for another year.
If you guys go anything other than a genuine full time mid with class you are nuts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s no more reason to think Georgiades is going anywhere than any other player at any other club. We’ve got a great record at keeping players. He’s contracted anyway.

Anyway we’re probably moving off topic here.
The only place I have seen rumours of Georgiades leaving is the Crows board where it has somehow weirdly morphed into a certainty in the echo chamber.

I'm pretty happy with the young talent with have been able to recruit while still being up the pointy end.
If anything these young's players were the reason we had a good couple of yrs and the older players the reason we didn't go any further along with Ken obviously.
Have we made mistakes absolutely Howard and Lahdams were sold to cheap and positions we could definitely use going forward.
Also not having our 2nd rnd pick this yr will hurt.

I'm pretty happy with the young talent with have been able to recruit while still being up the pointy end.
If anything these young's players were the reason we had a good couple of yrs and the older players the reason we didn't go any further along with Ken obviously.
Have we made mistakes absolutely Howard and Lahdams were sold to cheap and positions we could definitely use going forward.
If amon leaves you'll get a 2nd rounder back..bundle that with next years 2nd and tell GC take it or leave it when Lukosius says he is leaving and wants to go to port at years end

If amon leaves you'll get a 2nd rounder back..bundle that with next years 2nd and tell GC take it or leave it when Lukosius says he is leaving and wants to go to port at years end
In which case they'll of course leave it and we won't get him.

Gold Coast won't take a 2nd rounder for Lukosius and would be mad too. The PSD is hardly ever used and teams always find a compromise his value isn't what he was drafted at but given he has shown a bit at the level and the potential is still there a 10-15 pick is still what he is worth

In which case they'll of course leave it and we won't get him.
A few iffs here but....If he is OOC which he may well be and he tells them he wants Port which there has been speculation on these boards he prefers and you guys have had a lean year and finish below them (still to be determined), they don't have a huge hand to bargain with. Still if you have a couple of 2nd rounders - it might be possible to do what Adelaide did and turn it into a back end 1st rounder and that should get the deal done. What is their alternative if he wants out?

A few iffs here but....If he is OOC which he may well be and he tells them he wants Port which there has been speculation on these boards he prefers and you guys have had a lean year and finish below them (still to be determined), they don't have a huge hand to bargain with. Still if you have a couple of 2nd rounders - it might be possible to do what Adelaide did and turn it into a back end 1st rounder and that should get the deal done. What is their alternative if he wants out?
Do what they did with Jack Martin and send him to the PSD. Gold Coast have a history of standing their ground.

Not many young player featured in Ports best and fairest last year. I'd argue they were still very reliant on most of their older players

1. Ollie Wines (27)

2. Travis Boak (33)

3. Aliir Aliir (27)

4. Karl Amon (26)

5. Tom Jonas (31)

6. Ryan Burton (25)

6. Daniel Houston (24)

8. Darcy Byrne-Jones (25)

9. Charlie Dixon (31)

10. Scott Lycett (29)

Not many young player featured in Ports best and fairest last year. I'd argue they were still very reliant on most of their older players

1. Ollie Wines (27)

2. Travis Boak (33)

3. Aliir Aliir (27)

4. Karl Amon (26)

5. Tom Jonas (31)

6. Ryan Burton (25)

6. Daniel Houston (24)

8. Darcy Byrne-Jones (25)

9. Charlie Dixon (31)

10. Scott Lycett (29)
Top ten best and fairest is a s**t way to measure quality of young players.

Also of the top 10 you named 3 players 25 and under and 3 players in the 26/27 age group. These guys will be around for a while yet.

Also butters would absolutely have been in there if not for injury last year. Three of our best young players were injured last year.

Of those older players we had 4 in the top 10,

lycett, who we’ve already replaced with a far better young ruck,
Jonas, who plays a position we’ve already got more players than first 22 spots and a young key defender being held out waiting for his chance

Dixon, who hasn’t been playing and we’re fielding 3 genuine afl quality kfs still.

And boak, who made way for rozee in the midfield the last game and a half and we saw what happened there.

This smacks of someone not really knowing ports roster.

We’ve already got butters, rozee , duursma, Farrell Georgiades Marshall Spp, Hayes drew Jones and Bergman all contributing and looking very good in the afl side and still have guys like mead, pasini, lord, sinn Williams Burgoyne and others that yet can’t crack our side and show signs

Wouldn’t saints best and fairest be dominated by their older and in their prime players too?

And tho you have some kids I like, I’m still not remotely convinced you’ve got young mids the quality of butters, rozee, drew, Houston, Bergman sinn Farrell and duursma coming through?

Top ten best and fairest is a s**t way to measure quality of young players.

Also of the top 10 you named 3 players 25 and under and 3 players in the 26/27 age group. These guys will be around for a while yet.

Also butters would absolutely have been in there if not for injury last year. Three of our best young players were injured last year.

Of those older players we had 4 in the top 10,

lycett, who we’ve already replaced with a far better young ruck,
Jonas, who plays a position we’ve already got more players than first 22 spots and a young key defender being held out waiting for his chance

Dixon, who hasn’t been playing and we’re fielding 3 genuine afl quality kfs still.

And boak, who made way for rozee in the midfield the last game and a half and we saw what happened there.

This smacks of someone not really knowing ports roster.

We’ve already got butters, rozee , duursma, Farrell Georgiades Marshall Spp, Hayes drew Jones and Bergman all contributing and looking very good in the afl side and still have guys like mead, pasini, lord, sinn Williams Burgoyne and others that yet can’t crack our side and show signs

Wouldn’t saints best and fairest be dominated by their older and in their prime players too?

And tho you have some kids I like, I’m still not remotely convinced you’ve got young mids the quality of butters, rozee, drew, Houston, Bergman sinn Farrell and duursma coming through?
It doesn't smack of someone not knowing Ports roster at all

It smacks of someone replying to a post that read "If anything these young's players were the reason we had a good couple of yrs and the older players the reason we didn't go any further"

I disagree with that

Not one player in the top 10 under 24

3 are over 30 and another one is almost there

The players in the middle are neither young or old

I'm not suggesting Port don't have young players coming through but I am saying that Port have relied very heavily on some older players over the last few years

Not sure why you are trying to turn it into a Saints v Port thing. The thread is about Port

I think neither of you are really disagreeing with each other, you're just not both arguing about the same thing.

Were Port heavily reliant on a few older players last year? Yes.

Do Port also have promising young replacements for those older players? Also yes.

It doesn't smack of someone not knowing Ports roster at all

It smacks of someone replying to a post that read "If anything these young's players were the reason we had a good couple of yrs and the older players the reason we didn't go any further"

I disagree with that

Not one player in the top 10 under 24

3 are over 30 and another one is almost there

The players in the middle are neither young or old

I'm not suggesting Port don't have young players coming through but I am saying that Port have relied very heavily on some older players over the last few years

Not sure why you are trying to turn it into a Saints v Port thing. The thread is about Port
Again, a bnf top ten is a ridiculous means of providing evidence.

Anyone who really knew port would know that using the fact that Jonas and lycett finished top ten in our bnf to suggest that we are reliant on them or that they are irreplaceable players is laughable.

Not only are we not reliant on them, but port fans have been calling for both to be dropped / replaced in the side for a while now.

But Hinkley is a stubborn bastard who loves his favourites and is famously slow to blood anyone unless they’re a 1st round draft pick.

thanks to an injury forcing hinkleys stubborn hands we replaced lycett with a young ruck who in his 2nd game exceeded lycetts career highest hitout tally, easily.

They would also know that butters would easily have been in our top few in the bnf if not for injury last year.

This is why I accuse you of not knowing port.

We’re no more reliant on our prime age and older stars any more than most teams in the league.

You could make a case for the dogs (considered a young team) to be reliant on a couple of players at the end of their careers.

Melbourne? Aren’t Gawn McDonald and may key players?

Also, how many under 24s do you expect should make a bnf top 10?

Saints had 1 last year if I’m correct?
And Houston only missed your cutoff of under 24 by a few months, but butters certainly would have been there if not for injury.

Not too mention every team is going to field top 10’s bnf players of varying quality.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back