Port Adelaide accused of Anniversary Club Logo Theft

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's a reasonable question. If you're going to claim the good from the sanfl then you've got to take the bad as well, none of this selective history.
Yeah and what did I just post? You’re going around in circles. I agreed, now off you run home. I can’t be bothered talking to a known bay 13 troll.

We are one club with two teams in two competitions. Not hard to understand. 36 SANFL premierships + 1 AFL premiership.

Port constantly say “we are proud of both of our teams” etc. don’t know why you’re confused. Just like how your AFLW team is still an adelaide crows team. The club was est 1990 but the team women’s team was est in the 2010s (I don’t what year it was)

After all these years I still don’t quite understand exactly the whole Power and PAFC relationship thing.

Are they one club individually? ..2 clubs as one? or 2 clubs that see each other individually but when it comes to counting flags they see themselves as one ?

There’s no much confusion.

Who is the real Port Adelaide football club?

I don’t think they’re supporters even know.

It’s all rather strange really...

The PA monogram and prison bars are also trademarked, correct? Suing would insinuate he has ownership or permission over both, is that a game you'd really want to play?

Someone doesnt understand copyright law.

The guy has all but said he wont sue, but he could. The afl may own club identities, but he has automatic copyright on whatever he creates, even if he cant use it himself for commercial purposes. You cant just steal and profit from someone else's work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm. Seems to me there is probable grounds for a lawsuit here.
Can't see it myself. The only innovation is the PA letters intertwined, and that may prove to be generic, just like the shape of the logo, the stripes, etc.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've noticed most of this thread has just been piss-taking between the two rival clubs and not as much about the actual logo itself. I like the logo and as mad as I would be if my logo design was used without credit I don't think it should be the end of the world. And let's be honest if this person really cared about Port he wouldn't be trying to rid the club of its money, especially with the debt rumours going around.

I've noticed most of this thread has just been piss-taking between the two rival clubs and not as much about the actual logo itself. I like the logo and as mad as I would be if my logo design was used without credit I don't think it should be the end of the world. And let's be honest if this person really cared about Port he wouldn't be trying to rid the club of its money, especially with the debt rumours going around.
This person isn’t a port fan and doesn’t care for Port. Taking their money (as deserved) wouldn’t bother him I reckon.

This person isn’t a port fan and doesn’t care for Port. Taking their money (as deserved) wouldn’t bother him I reckon.
If he's not a Port fan then yeah, he would be more likely to file a lawsuit without any reluctance.
But why do you call it deserved?

This issue I have with this is that Port Adelaide and the AFL have worked together on a logo, probably at great expense, where a piece with similar artistic value was created for free by a random guy on the internet.

Talk about wasting money, throwing thousands of bucks at something you could get for a hundred on Fiverr.

Bureaucracy makes simple things expensive:

Hmm. Seems to me there is probable grounds for a lawsuit here.

I doubt it. He's using other IP in an unsolicited manner.

Someone once wrote an unauthorised Rocky 4 treatment that Sly used ideas from.

Here is what happened:

If he's not a Port fan then yeah, he would be more likely to file a lawsuit without any reluctance.
But why do you call it deserved?
Because Port have paid a company a large sum of money to effectively do very little design work and take someone else’s work and claimed it as their own without contacting the designer. Maybe it’s legally fine, but it’s morally wrong.

Because Port have paid a company a large sum of money to effectively do very little design work and take someone else’s work and claimed it as their own without contacting the designer. Maybe it’s legally fine, but it’s morally wrong.
Well, there's always the small chance that it was a simple coincidence and the club had no knowledge of the existence of the design, but it's very unlikely.
I suppose you're right, yet another mistake to stack on the pile of s**t that our current board has made.

Similar, sure, but still pretty different

Crest is a different shape & point and the font is different too. At the end of the day it's a shield layout logo - there's always going to be similarities. I'd be annoyed if I was the one who mocked something up, but there are no new designs, everything is just a re-hash of something else with a few tweaks to make it different from its predecessor. There's a phrase amongst designers - steal with pride. Take something awesome and make it even awesomer.

On the other side of the spectrum, PAFC may never have even seen the mock up that third kit created - it happens.

I'm still interested to see how this plays out

I am not across copyright law. Is there some database where you register designs and if so did this person do it? If not is an organisation expected to trawl through every social media account on social media to see whether someone has put together a design that might look similar. Does it stop there? What if someone comes forward because they put together a design 10 years ago on Microsoft Paint that has been sitting on a computer for 10 years and now have come forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back