AFLW Port Adelaide AFLW (Team to enter in 2022 season)

Remove this Banner Ad

Meanwhile Port says we want a team by 2023...pathetic
No we didn't. Go back and read Richo's statement. It says we are ready for Season Seven ie 2022/23 season.

“We are well placed to enter the AFLW competition in Season Seven which will commence in late 2022.

“As a club we are well-prepared to enter the AFLW competition in Season Seven and welcome this opportunity to provide a formal submission to the AFL.”

No we didn't. Go back and read Richo's statement. It says we are ready for Season Seven ie 2022/23 season.

“We are well placed to enter the AFLW competition in Season Seven which will commence in late 2022.

“As a club we are well-prepared to enter the AFLW competition in Season Seven and welcome this opportunity to provide a formal submission to the AFL.”
Ah ok I must have misinterpreted. My BP has returned to normal.

You would think the Crows having won 2 flags from 3 GF’s in the 4 years of the comp (5 but lost one due to COVID) would mean the AFL would want to dilute that by getting us in to take away some talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably only way is to make some of them a marquee signing.

I don't know exactly how it happened but Brisbane lost 16 players after they played in their 2nd consecutive GF, and only 8 players from 2017 squad were still there this year and I think 7 played in the flag side. Some of it could have been $$$ related others ASA's and job opportunities.

Crows wont loose that many players to us and the other 3 new sides in one or two years.

But 3 players have been critical to crows success, Phillips, Chelsea Randall and Ebony Marinoff. All are 3 times All Oz players and cover most bases, champion KPD, champion KPF and can play anywhere and a star midfielder. Take them away and the crows are average and come back to the pack.

I have said for many years the difference between a top 4 side and bottom 4 side is basically 4 All Oz or All Oz quality players, a KPD, a KPF, a mid fielder and a ruck. Rucks aren't as vital in the women's game at this stage of their development.

You would think the Crows having won 2 flags from 3 GF’s in the 4 years of the comp (5 but lost one due to COVID) would mean the AFL would want to dilute that by getting us in to take away some talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Had a look at the rules re expansion teams. Looks like Port and Sydney will be able to sign up to 8 players from crows and GWS and Hawks and Essendon sign up to 4 players from any Vic club. The 4 clubs will be able to sign up to 12 players each. There was no compo picks for players lost in previous expansion period signings.

2018 draft for 2 x 2019 expansion teams
Expansion club signing period
From 11 May expansion clubs Geelong and North Melbourne were given a ten-day window to sign existing players from 2018 AFLW lists.[2] These clubs could sign a maximum of four players between them from any existing club. No compensation was offered to those clubs losing players under this process, but the each player's existing club could make a counter-offer to the player.[3] A number of deals were agreed to in principle and acknowledged by clubs prior to the opening of this window.[4]
( could also sign any undrafted players from local leagues)

2019 draft for 4 x 2020 expansion teams
There was a First signing period and that's for undrafted players in local leagues and in club academies

First period
Prior to the completion of the 2019 season, future expansion clubs Gold Coast, Richmond, St Kilda and West Coast were permitted to pre-list up to 10 players from their women's academies or designated development zones. A maximum of seven of these players could be open-age signings who had nominated for the 2018 AFL Women's draft but not been selected. A final three spots were reserved for three junior players of minimum draft age (born in 2001) and who hailed from the clubs' designated development regions.[1]

Second period
From 8 April expansion clubs Gold Coast, Richmond, St Kilda and West Coast will have an 11-day window until 18 April to sign players who played for existing clubs during the 2019 season.[23] These clubs can sign a maximum of 12 players each through this mechanism. All existing clubs other than Brisbane and Fremantle could lose no more than four players to the mechanism while Brisbane and Fremantle can each lose a maximum of eight due to the entry of Gold Coast and West Coast into their previously exclusive state-zones.[23] No compensation will be offered to those clubs losing players under this process, but the player's existing club are permitted to negotiate to re-sign the player. Players can be signed under this mechanism to one or two year contracts.[24]

Unless of course the AFL applies rule 1996 where Port Adelaide gets * all because it is an established club.

The AFL are saying none of the four clubs will be admitted in 2022 unless they can show they are prepared. A pity they didn't apply that rule to the Gold Coast who were clearly not up to it. I reckon we will be far much better prepared than the Theme Parkers were.

The interesting thing will be to see what Erin Phillips does. She may hold off retirement to play a season for Port. If not it would be good to find something for her at Port just to stick it up the Cows.

Of course the sanfl would do everything they can to stuff us around here too.

REHcking Ball!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans tweeted an hour ago they are putting in an application to join in Season Seven 2022/23 like the other 3 clubs.

:laughing:

And they seemed so excited about it too.

We will apply for a licence to join the AFLW competition in Season Seven, commencing in late 2022.

sddefault.jpg

The battle for Erin is going to be massive.

It is a huge PR win for whoever gets her.

Old Monobrow's getting worried...

Old Monobrow's getting worried...

Just more of the panicked entitlement we’ve come to know and love.

Is there any requirement that Clubs' AFLW uniforms match the AFL ones? Good opportunity to put the Bars on the national stage?

Even if there wasn't, AFLwood will likely make it so and be all over it. I can just imagine it ... the AFL overlook this detail at first and the club sees an opportunity to have the women's team run-out in the PB which gets Eddie in an uproar that his words slipup and he says an offensive statement against women.

Had a look at the rules re expansion teams. Looks like Port and Sydney will be able to sign up to 8 players from crows and GWS and Hawks and Essendon sign up to 4 players from any Vic club. The 4 clubs will be able to sign up to 12 players each. There was no compo picks for players lost in previous expansion period signings.

2018 draft for 2 x 2019 expansion teams
From 11 May expansion clubs Geelong and North Melbourne were given a ten-day window to sign existing players from 2018 AFLW lists.[2] These clubs could sign a maximum of four players between them from any existing club. No compensation was offered to those clubs losing players under this process, but the each player's existing club could make a counter-offer to the player.[3] A number of deals were agreed to in principle and acknowledged by clubs prior to the opening of this window.[4]
( could also sign any undrafted players from local leagues)

2019 draft for 4 x 2020 expansion teams
There was a First signing period and that's for undrafted players in local leagues and in club academies

First period
Prior to the completion of the 2019 season, future expansion clubs Gold Coast, Richmond, St Kilda and West Coast were permitted to pre-list up to 10 players from their women's academies or designated development zones. A maximum of seven of these players could be open-age signings who had nominated for the 2018 AFL Women's draft but not been selected. A final three spots were reserved for three junior players of minimum draft age (born in 2001) and who hailed from the clubs' designated development regions.[1]

Second period
From 8 April expansion clubs Gold Coast, Richmond, St Kilda and West Coast will have an 11-day window until 18 April to sign players who played for existing clubs during the 2019 season.[23] These clubs can sign a maximum of 12 players each through this mechanism. All existing clubs other than Brisbane and Fremantle could lose no more than four players to the mechanism while Brisbane and Fremantle can each lose a maximum of eight due to the entry of Gold Coast and West Coast into their previously exclusive state-zones.[23] No compensation will be offered to those clubs losing players under this process, but the player's existing club are permitted to negotiate to re-sign the player. Players can be signed under this mechanism to one or two year contracts.[24]

Sounds like promising conditions, do you agree? I hope the AFL don't worsen these conditions by the time we enter. Adelaide would be the type to feel threatened, have a whinge and suggest the AFL make changes. We may not be wanting to sign-up 8 crows but we may get those that still hold Port at heart and are eager to help us get off to a good start.

On the Port AFLW Team song

Disclaimer: My posts are mostly half-joke, half-serious anyway. So, please, take this one accordingly.

---

This morning I have awaken inspired. I have made a sketch of a song's lyrics for our future AFLW team. English is not my first language, and I have no musical talent, so I would like your help to improve it.

Before that, I believe I should put it into some context. If you want to know what have motivated me, what is behind the lyrics, just check the spoiler below.

---

The Port Adelaide Football Club has a clear identity. This identity is anchored in our constitutional documents (which, by the way, have nothing to do with the actual club constitution). To avoid confusion, let's call those documents as "The Port's Gospel".

The Port's Gospel has 4 parts: (a) "Creed" ["We, the Players and Management of the Port Adelaide Football Club..."]; (b) "Statement" ["Any club worth its salt..."]; (c) "Motto" ["We exist to win premierships..."]; and (d) "Slogan" ["We are Port Adelaide"]. They make who we are.

The documents are listed in order of relevance. However, the order of presentation should be the reverse. In brief, “We Are Port Adelaide” encapsulates everything. For a deeper grasp of its meaning, then one should look into the motto, than the statement, and finally the creed.

Thus, our identity is deeply entrenched into the name "Port Adelaide". To that, I would also add the colours black and white.

So far does it make sense? If it is ok, then let's move on.

---

The “Port Adelaide” name and the colours black and white should be common to everything we do. With that settled, everything else can change.

That's why our AFL team can be known as "Power" and have teal and silver also as its colours; while our SANFL team remains the "Magpies." That's why our AFL team and our SANFL team can have distinct team songs. That's why despite those differences they are all parts of "One Club," the Port Adelaide Football Club.

This is why I believe that our AFLW team should be "Port Adelaide" and black and white, but also having its own monicker, own colours, and own team song.

Again, is my point clear? Is it possible to understand from where I'm coming and to where I'm heading? If so, segue.

---

Port has a history. Even though the AFLW side is a new venture, we "accept the heritage which players and administrators have passed down to us." In the same way that our AFL side is connected to the club's past as a symbol that we "shall strive with all our POWER to further this club's unexcelled achievement," the AFLW team needs to have a link to our history.

Why not then call it the Port Adelaide Magentas and having magenta and blue as its secondary colours (black and white being the primary ones, of course)?

"Magentas" not only is a Port's past monicker, but it also has the advantage of sharing the same starting syllable with the "Magpies." This would allow, for instance, the girls to be known as the "Maggies" – if that is something our supporters wish to do.

This would also take pressure away from teal. Along with silver, teal would become solely our AFL colour. The common features between AFL, SANFL, and AFLW would be the name "Port Adelaide" and the colours black and white.

---

With new monicker and new colours, it would be natural for our AFLW team to have its own song. Without further ado, here it goes...

---

We know why we exist
It is useless to resist
In no way we’ll desist

Not enough is falling short
Football's more than a sport
It is passion. It is Port!

One will never see us beg
'Cause resilience makes a Mag
Always fighting for the flag

Not enough is falling short
Football's more than a sport

It is passion. It is Port!

---

Again, feel free to contribute. There may be mistakes. My American English may have rhymed words that don't rhyme in Australia. I don't know.

At least, I hope you all enjoy my attempt.

---

P.S.: The last line of the chorus is not mine. I took it from Ruppert McCall's poem It is Port.

Last edited:
On the Port AFLW Team song

Disclaimer: My posts are mostly half-joke, half-serious anyway. So, please, take this one accordingly.

Since we are at it, these could be their jumpers:

Home
Port AFLW-Home.png

Away
Port AFLW-Away.png
Inspiration:
Magentas.png

Last edited:
Adding Pink because women is trash. Fremantle are guilty here.
Magenta. And it is a colour from the club's past. I am not using it for its own sake.

And I would totally do a similar guernsey for the AFL side (either training or preseason).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back