AFLW Port Adelaide AFLW (Team to enter in 2022 season)

SgtSchulz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2014
Bob McLean Sportsbar
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Mark Webber
We need to make sure that we take this seriously and have a team in the competition at the same time as the Crows at the absolute latest. It is great that the club already has a program for Women. Nonetheless as arguably the most progressive club in the AFL we should try and be the first interstate team in the competition.

Up to six AFL clubs could field women's teams by 2017, as part of the AFL's major push to boost elite women's football.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ue-in-2017-20150815-gizses.html#ixzz3iyq98mBi

1661050_595183170571266_2340514_n.jpg

Last edited:

SuperEgz

Team Captain
Aug 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just looking at their website and I saw this:
"In 2012 The Port Adelaide Women’s Football Club (PAWFC) are very proud to announce that The Port Adelaide Football Club has invited the Women’s Club to join them as part of their “one Club” philosophy

This exciting move is allowing the Magpie Women to use the Nazar Reserve facility, located on Swan Terrace, Ethelton as a training base and home ground. This will also see PAWFC being invited to use the facilities at Alberton for training & home games on occasions throughout the coming seasons.

The partnership is evolving and is a great opportunity for the PAWFC to create its own piece of “Magpie” History as part of this iconic South Australian Football Club."

So will the club need to formally merge with them next or would we just start our own team and let them carry on in the local league?

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was told that the women's Magpies team has put its season on hold recently. I was told that the sanfl is wanting to form a league to align with the teams of the sanfl but will not invite the Port team into this league despite 8 or 9 of the Port players representing the state team.

I would like somebody to confirm what I was told.

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was told that the women's Magpies team has put its season on hold recently. I was told that the sanfl is wanting to form a league to align with the teams of the sanfl but will not invite the Port team into this league despite 8 or 9 of the Port players representing the state team.

LOL will it ever end, Straight to the Womens AFL comp for our girls then

Feb 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I started a thread on this earlier in they year and agree entirely that this is a really important and exciting opportunity for us to seize for many reasons: opportunity for positive PR, increasing female fan following of the club, and also providing leadership in what will be a crucial area for the AFL into the future.

I really hope the club is already looking into this behind the scenes!! Can someone tweet this to Kochie?

SgtSchulz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2014
Bob McLean Sportsbar
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Mark Webber

SANFL = Fat cats with grudges
Screen Shot 2015-08-16 at 11.05.15 pm.png

Investing in a womens team would be a poor business decision, lets be honest. However there are intangible benefits to the game and the community. I'm not confident we will see much investment though.

You can already see how half arsed the whole thing will be

Unfortunately if it doesn't bring revenue it doesn't get funding. As kochie said at an AGM a few years back - you've got to spend money to make money. Except spending money in this case will almost certainly not make us money.

Apr 7, 2013
Burn City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Unfortunately if it doesn't bring revenue it doesn't get funding. As kochie said at an AGM a few years back - you've got to spend money to make money. Except spending money in this case will almost certainly not make us money.
I was thinking from a national perspective. The AFL will need to be at the fore for funding and they will half arse the whole thing imo.

I was thinking from a national perspective. The AFL will need to be at the fore for funding and they will half arse the whole thing imo.

For the same reasons nonetheless.

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Even some of the girls playing seem of this opinion ie. not convinced it will even happen by 2017

The AFL need to do it properly or not bother, it's how you look at i guess it's not gonna make them money directly but on the other hand it can bring more women to game etc.

SuperEgz

Team Captain
Aug 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
WTF SANFL! I can't think of any legitimate reason why they would exclude the PAFC from a girls competition. Do they somehow think that it would give our SANFL and AFL teams an unfair advantage? Because that makes NO SENSE!

If it does happen, Instead of PAWFC it should be PAFC Women's

AFL - PAFC Power
SANFL - PAFC Magpies
SANFL Reserves - PAFC Academy
AFLW - PAFC Women's (Hopefully with Prison Bars as home and the BiB (black or white depending on situation) as a away/clash, surely Eddie wouldn't care)

SuperEgz

Team Captain
Aug 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Even some of the girls playing seem of this opinion ie. not convinced it will even happen by 2017

The AFL need to do it properly or not bother, it's how you look at i guess it's not gonna make them money directly but on the other hand it can bring more women to game etc.

Yea do what Cricket is doing with the female Big Bash this year. give every club a female team.

blaargh

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2009
Elsewhere
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lol. Sanfl can continue to write their death wish - as if talented teenage girls will choose to play for Sturt (who?) or the reigning AFL champs port adelaide?

Great move. Will continue to strengthen community bonds with the club.

Aug 31, 2010
Port Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
We need to make sure that we take this seriously and have a team in the competition at the same time as the Crows at the absolute latest. It is great that the club already has a program for Women. Nonetheless as arguably the most progressive club in the AFL we should try and be the first interstate team in the competition.

Up to six AFL clubs could field women's teams by 2017, as part of the AFL's major push to boost elite women's football.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ue-in-2017-20150815-gizses.html#ixzz3iyq98mBi

View attachment 163057
My daughter would have a crack, although I'm telling you she would come to fisty cuffs at some stage. She was a hard bastard. Played basketball for her state and never took a backward step.Mumma on the sidelines never taking a backward step...........Jesus. Sweet baby Jesus please no!!!

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Investing in a womens team would be a poor business decision, lets be honest. However there are intangible benefits to the game and the community. I'm not confident we will see much investment though.
Any cost would be minimal. And for engagement (read holding more female fans and attracting them), that'd offset it. And for going to sponsors every additional community type thing like this we do increases our appeal. Just economically I'd say it'd pay for itself.

Dalphonso

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2009
Alice Springs NT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Territory Thunder,Waratahs FC
WTF SANFL! I can't think of any legitimate reason why they would exclude the PAFC from a girls competition. Do they somehow think that it would give our SANFL and AFL teams an unfair advantage? Because that makes NO SENSE!
Maybe they are thinking we won't be around as an SANFL team for too much longer?

Back