News Port Adelaide AGM 31 January 2020

we should all get our money back for that "inside look" convention last year

I'm sending them an invoice for my 'outside look'.

The AFL are probably still guarantor for the rest of our debt.
Bingo. If you read AFL annual reports you know they are guarantor for $5m, ( and many other clubs) as well as the bank debt is secured against land and buildings. Why both? AFL is about cash flow, security about a wind up.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
So they finally admitted what we've known for over 21 months is that they've attempted to do a rebuild while externally never being transparent about it.

Cool, everyone from Hinkley up should be forcibly removed from the club and replaced by a more competent house plant.

Lying dogs.
I am more inclined to believe they are lying now rather than then. "Since we have failed, call it a 'rebuild'."

Last edited:

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Koch stated that Hinkley needed to rush home for Donna's birthday, thus Hinkley did not remain behind for questions after his speech (which I think is disrespectful to the members). There is nothing to report about Hinkley's speech anyway because although he squeezed in a lot of words at warp speed he said nothing of value. Nothing.

KT didn't talk again for the second year in a row and sat in the front row where the few board of directors sat as well. Cardone was present.

From Koch's speech and Q&A all I got from it was that Vanstone is out and Day is in. Haslam is out but a nameless new member is in. Ransom is possibly away for two years studying at Harvard and will communicate via video conference. We have a 2 million dollar debt left with the AFL. The club decided to embark on a new football direction (rebuild) at the end of 2018. Thus Hinkley was given credit three times for accepting the new direction of going with youth (what a guy).

Lokan was MIA. I didn’t see Wanganeen. I don't know which other board members were present. It appeared that most were not present.

There wasn't a lot of BS but there wasn't hardly any deep information shared.

Not a lot of questions were fired at Koch and mostly the questions were petty. Mostly the sheep were in attendance.

No pre-questions from members were addressed.

It was a pointless AGM. Says a lot about how much the custodians of the club value their members.

It reconfirms that we need change at the top but this club could possibly be like this forever.
Good summary

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ahahah this is now a meme.
And a pathetic excuse to avoid question time after copping it last year from the members. AGM very orchestrated from start to finish. At least Koch was prepared to answer questions but so over the spin by Curtin. Board members sitting with audience was an interesting change.

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
But that wasn't your initial argument, you said it was 40% of the list. Technically it's not anyway, it's more like a third seeing as you have to consider 9 new players after the first year in the denominator.

Anyway, I don't think there's been a rebuild. Maybe more a focus on restructure, but our turnover is no greater than anyone else's. It's not like we are a particularly youthful side which is the story they're telling.

That's the lie. It's a deflection from on field performance to justify some of the decisions that have been made.
Yep, the main theme was to focus on the young players brought in over the last 2 drafts and to emphasise that we are a young developing team.

I've been to any number of AGM's over the years and they always play out the same.

If you pay any sort of attention to information and commentary throughout the year, you won't hear anything new. Heck we apparently have a new JMS signed and they wouldn't even name them. Or the second new corporate partner at a lower level.

If you ask any sort of critical question, the hand fed audience will usually turn on you. And really what are you going to ask? Why is Hinkley still there? Because it's a young squad and you have to expect inconsistent results. No we're not happy with the past few years and that's why we have gone down the youth path. Yada yada.

Next question please, yes Mavis?

I've been to any number of AGM's over the years and they always play out the same.

If you pay any sort of attention to information and commentary throughout the year, you won't hear anything new. Heck we apparently have a new JMS signed and they wouldn't even name them. Or the second new corporate partner at a lower level.

If you ask any sort of critical question, the hand fed audience will usually turn on you. And really what are you going to ask? Why is Hinkley still there? Because it's a young squad and you have to expect inconsistent results. No we're not happy with the past few years and that's why we have gone down the youth path. Yada yada.

Basically why I didn't ask a question. I only went to talk to a couple of directors, who weren't there. Ended up talking to a third one that was a 20 minute chat, and found out we had a few common connections.

Oct 7, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

100% correct. I remember going a couple of years back and someone asked a critical question and made critical comments. He barely got out of there alive
These are the same people that will give Ken a raucous applause when he is introduced

One thing that I don't think has been reported so far, is that Koch said the China game was a mistake - the 2017 version.

He said that at the Mr Gui MOU announcement in April 2016, Turnbull said something about how great it would be that a game would be played in Shanghai next year. The AFL thought Port had set them up and got Turnbull to make the announcement, but it was a slip of the tongue by Turnbull.

It sort of drove the club to try and make it happen in 2017. 2018 would have been better for the first game, I said it back in 2016 that 2017 is too early, but so be it.

I remember how proud KT and others were after the game ended, that the club had pulled it off in 2017, despite all the long term and last minute dramas. I also remember talking to KT after the game, he was on the ground, I was in the stand and the shear relief that it worked was on his face as we talked about putting the game together.

The Chinese say you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but straight after the game and later given we finished 5th and had a home final against WCE, I thought we could in 2017. Figured if we were good enough at putting on the game in China a year early than expected, then we could give 2017 flag a decent crack.

But no, Hinkley went with his bullshit selections and tactics for a final against an very experienced and ageing WCE. The non selection of Trengove to help Charlie and Paddy, but to select a pants wetting Impey, who never played for the club again was a disaster.

And since then, the old Chinese expression that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear has proven to be correct for Port's efforts on and off the field.

I wanted Hinkley sacked after that game. The players stuffed up with ratshit kicking but his selections and tactics were poor.

I was prepared to accept 2015 we got ahead of ourselves after being so low only 3 years earlier.

I was ropable that we didn't plan for the worst case scenario with Ryder and Monfries and didn't pick a back up ruckman, but I didn't blame Hinkley solely for that, that was a complete * up, non thinking, hoping the AFL were good blokes, by all of the leaders of the club, in the footy department, admin and board.

Hinkley's not taking questions at the AGM was pathetic. In line with his abilities to solve our problems.

But make no mistake, Hinkley has been told to minimize how much he speaks to our fans. His media commitments will be restricted to his compulsory contracted commitments and post match pressers. The club knows he is poison to a large % of the fans. Maybe not the majority of members and fans, but a significant part of the club, including past players who brought so much success to this club and got us into the AFL. Have a private conversation with them, and you are left in no doubt about their thoughts.

Last edited:

PowerLil

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2012
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
One thing that I don't think has been reported so far, is that Koch said the China game was a mistake - the 2017 version.

He said that at the Mr Gui MOU announcement in April 2016, Turnbull said something about how great it would be that a game would be played in Shanghai next year. The AFL thought Port had set them up and got Turnbull to make the announcement, but it was a slip of the tongue by Turnbull.

It sort of drove the club to try and make it happen in 2017. 2018 would have been better for the first game, I said it back in 2016 that 2017 is too early, but so be it.

I remember how proud KT and others were after the game ended, that the club had pulled it off in 2017, despite all the long term and last minute dramas. I also remember talking to KT after the game, he was on the ground, I was in the stand and the shear relief that it worked was on his face as we talked about putting the game together.

The Chinese say you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but straight after the game and later given we finished 5th and had a home final against WCE, I thought we could in 2017. Figured if we were good enough at putting on the game in China a year early than expected, then we could give 2017 flag a decent crack.

But no, Hinkley went with his bullshit selections and tactics for a final against an very experienced and ageing WCE. The non selection of Trengove to help Charlie and Paddy, but to select a pants wetting Impey, who never played for the club again was a disaster.

And since then, the old Chinese expression that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear has proven to be correct for Port's efforts on and off the field.

I wanted Hinkley sacked after that game. The players stuffed up with ratshit kicking but his selections and tactics were poor.

I was prepared to accept 2015 we got ahead of ourselves after being so low only 3 years earlier.

I was ropable that we didn't plan for the worst case scenario with Ryder and Monfries and didn't pick a back up ruckman, but I didn't blame Hinkley solely for that, that was a complete fu** up, non thinking, hoping the AFL were good blokes, by all of the leaders of the club, in the footy department, admin and board.

Hinkley's not taking questions at the AGM was pathetic. In line with his abilities to solve our problems.

But make no mistake, Hinkley has been told to minimize how much he speaks to our fans. His media commitments will be restricted to his compulsory contracted commitments and post match pressers. The club knows he is poison to a large % of the fans. Maybe not the majority of members and fans, but a significant part of the club, including past players who bought so much success to this club and got us into the AFL. Have a private conversation with them, and you are left in no doubt about their thoughts.
I love your posts REH and was sorry not to speak with you more after the AGM.

I was ropable that we didn't plan for the worst case scenario with Ryder and Monfries and didn't pick a back up ruckman, but I didn't blame Hinkley solely for that, that was a complete fu** up, non thinking, hoping the AFL were good blokes, by all of the leaders of the club, in the footy department, admin and board.

But make no mistake, Hinkley has been told to minimize how much he speaks to our fans. His media commitments will be restricted to his compulsory contracted commitments and post match pressers. The club knows he is poison to a large % of the fans. Maybe not the majority of members and fans, but a significant part of the club, including past players who brought so much success to this club and got us into the AFL. Have a private conversation with them, and you are left in no doubt about their thoughts.
I heard Rucci on SEN on Monday morning say, towards the end of his eight or nine minutes, that he had been surprised by Koch’s lengthy praise and endorsement of No-Ken in the chairman’s speech ... surprised, too, by the complete absence of media reference to it (apart from his own).

How did you read this, REH?

Sounds to me like an agenda of some description.

I heard Rucci on SEN on Monday morning say, towards the end of his eight or nine minutes, that he had been surprised by Koch’s lengthy praise and endorsement of No-Ken in the chairman’s speech ... surprised, too, by the complete absence of media reference to it (apart from his own).

How did you read this, REH?

Sounds to me like an agenda of some description.
Just had a listen. Very dramatic and operatic interpretation by Rooch. Plus a short memory. Koch was blubbering all over Ken 2013- 2015 years. Nothing unbelievable about his speech on Friday night IMO compared to Rooch's opinion.

Yes Koch praised him and you got the impression that Koch wont change things because we are rebuilding - but we cant say we are rebuilding. Koch said - we will not bottom out - according to my notes.

Rooch might be staggered that not reported, but its because we know Koch is a bullshitter and we don't know if its a front to bullshit and cover over the massive gaps before Koch acts on the coach, or Koch really believes it.

That's what happens when you have a history of bullshiting and exaggeration. People don't believe what you say and have to apply a correction factor.

Maybe Ken knows he is probably going to get cut, so go down saying, I'm playing the kids, I'm playing the kids, look all 17 other clubs they sacked me, when I was doing the best for the long term development of the club, not trying to protect my pay packet, so give me a go, because I'm not all about saving my arse over the club's.

But yes the way Rooch embellished that it was an "unbelievable speech" sounds like someone's agenda is being fluffed up by Rooch.

Edit - from 6.40 into the segment

Last edited:
Just had a listen. Very dramatic and operatic interpretation by Rooch. Plus a short memory. Koch was blubbering all over Ken 2013- 2015 years. Nothing unbelievable about his speech on Friday night IMO compared to Rooch's opinion.

Yes Koch praised him and you got the impression that Koch wont change things because we are rebuilding - but we cant say we are rebuilding. Koch said - we will not bottom out - according to my notes.

Rooch might be staggered that not reported, but its because we know Koch is a bullshitter and we don't know if its a front to bullshit and cover over the massive gaps before Koch acts on the coach, or Koch really believes it.

That's what happens when you have a history of bullshiting and exaggeration. People don't believe what you say and have to apply a correction factor.

Maybe Ken knows he is probably going to get cut, so go down saying, I'm playing the kids, I'm playing the kids, look all 17 other clubs they sacked me, when I was doing the best for the long term development of the club, not trying to protect my pay packet, so give me a go, because I'm not all about saving my arse over the club's.

But yes the way Rooch embellished that it was an "unbelievable speech" sounds like someone's agenda is being fluffed up by Rooch.
So No-Ken is being stage-managed. “Speak your piece. Get out of there. Blame Donna.” No-Ken’s gonna love that. It will be interesting to study his body language from here on. Is there a leafy tree with a white plastic chair under it at the oval in Whyalla?

Oct 5, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There are no other teams
...But make no mistake, Hinkley has been told to minimize how much he speaks to our fans. His media commitments will be restricted to his compulsory contracted commitments and post match pressers. The club knows he is poison to a large % of the fans. Maybe not the majority of members and fans, but a significant part of the club, including past players who brought so much success to this club and got us into the AFL. Have a private conversation with them, and you are left in no doubt about their thoughts.
Yes, yes, one million times, yes.

Back