News Port Adelaide AGM 31 January 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep

A rebuild would have seen us play our youth in 2019, rather than recruit and play Cam Sutcliffe in a desperate attempt to make finals.

I see it as 2 areas of the football department working to opposite ends. The coaching is aiming for short term success but list management has taken the long term view.

Wrote something about SANFL training in the other thread about the young bloke who drank too much, and it reminded me that Shane Grimm talking about the Maggies players and academy kids gave a big shout out to Tyson Goldsack.

Says he is a running machine, has been a good get for the club, as he does his development coaching stuff with the Power players and then goes to training 3 nights a week with the 15 SANFL players. Reckons he will be a big contributor to the Maggies and the younger Power players.

It sort of drove the club to try and make it happen in 2017. 2018 would have been better for the first game, I said it back in 2016 that 2017 is too early, but so be it.
Taking two years to organise a game of football ain't going to impress dudes who can build a 1,000 bed hospital in 10 days.

Taking two years to organise a game of football ain't going to impress dudes who can build a 1,000 bed hospital in 10 days.
Maybe not, but the NFL and NBA couldn't and havent done anything despite they have been talking about it for years, before our 2016 announcement.

Wrote something about SANFL training in the other thread about the young bloke who drank too much, and it reminded me that Shane Grimm talking about the Maggies players and academy kids gave a big shout out to Tyson Goldsack.

Says he is a running machine, has been a good get for the club, as he does his development coaching stuff with the Power players and then goes to training 3 nights a week with the 15 SANFL players. Reckons he will be a big contributor to the Maggies and the younger Power players.

Did Shane mention who the Magpies top ups will be this year?
I think you mentioned earlier that he spoke well, and talked about the various Academies too.

Did Shane mention who the Magpies top ups will be this year?
I think you mentioned earlier that he spoke well, and talked about the various Academies too.
He mentioned 2 or 3 names but I didn't jot them down and don't remember them. He did say we have signed 15 SANFL players who have been training 3 nights a week and will play for their community clubs when not playing for Port.

I suspect the NBA got cold feet after Dennis Rodman went to North Korea.
When did Rodman go to North Korea?

NBA has been playing preseason games in China since 2004, so they have been talking about this since 2003, but haven't had the guts to play a proper game there, despite signing a $700m USD TV and media rights deal in January 2015 and another 5 year deal in October 2019 for $1.5 Bil with Tencent both times, this last one for the 5 seasons 2020-21 thru to 2024-25

But they played games for points in Japan between 1990-2003. Played a game in Mexico in 1997 then since 2014. They played in London since 2011 and played in Paris 12 days ago for the first time. See

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But make no mistake, Hinkley has been told to minimize how much he speaks to our fans. His media commitments will be restricted to his compulsory contracted commitments and post match pressers. The club knows he is poison to a large % of the fans. Maybe not the majority of members and fans, but a significant part of the club, including past players who brought so much success to this club and got us into the AFL. Have a private conversation with them, and you are left in no doubt about their thoughts.
Personally I'd be shocked if a snap poll of our members right now did not show a majority of people were unhappy with Ken.

Years of murmurs in the outer, declining crowds and the absence of any atmosphere at our games, says to me that the majority are off him now.

Personally I'd be shocked if a snap poll of our members right now did not show a majority of people were unhappy with Ken.

Years of murmurs in the outer, declining crowds and the absence of any atmosphere at our games, says to me that the majority are off him now.
I don't have any doubt if it went to a members vote it would be overwhelmingly in support of sacking Hinkley.

I had to have a second take for a moment. Totally forgot he had joined Port. Sounds hopeful.

Rucci is a suck up. Something is not legit here.

All this praise and credit to Hinkley for playing the youth means to me that the club gave the turkey a handful of years to win a premiership with the list he inherited and now they believe he warrants building a list his way. It suggests to me that they identify that success hasn't come because of the playing list rather than Hinkley the coach.

I believe Koch is not pointing the finger at himself or KT. He blames the list and the smaller coaches.

I believe Koch is attempting to indoctrinate the masses into feeling secure about Hinkley remaining as coach. Be prepared for Koch forcing a Hinkley extension.

I hope that the new board additions offer some resistance and that there's some internal unrest from the past players. I got nothing else to hope for.

You have to balance youth with experience.

The Bulldogs had 12 players under 23 years old in their Round 23 lineup and they made finals. We had 6 players under 23 in our Round 23 lineup and we missed finals.

Cam Sutcliffe played more games for us last year than Joel Garner, Peter Ladhams and Billy Frampton. Matthew Broadbent played as many or more games than Todd Marshall, Kane Farrell and Willem Drew.

Our balance of youth and experience is way too far towards the 'experience' side for a team that hasn't won a final for 5 years.

I've been to any number of AGM's over the years and they always play out the same.

If you pay any sort of attention to information and commentary throughout the year, you won't hear anything new. Heck we apparently have a new JMS signed and they wouldn't even name them. Or the second new corporate partner at a lower level.

If you ask any sort of critical question, the hand fed audience will usually turn on you. And really what are you going to ask? Why is Hinkley still there? Because it's a young squad and you have to expect inconsistent results. No we're not happy with the past few years and that's why we have gone down the youth path. Yada yada.

Next question please, yes Mavis?
Spot on, been to the last 3 and sums events up very well. This last one annoyed me the most though and was indicative of our approach over the last 5 years.

Great get for the club

The Bulldogs had 12 players under 23 years old in their Round 23 lineup and they made finals. We had 6 players under 23 in our Round 23 lineup and we missed finals.

Cam Sutcliffe played more games for us last year than Joel Garner, Peter Ladhams and Billy Frampton. Matthew Broadbent played as many or more games than Todd Marshall, Kane Farrell and Willem Drew.

Our balance of youth and experience is way too far towards the 'experience' side for a team that hasn't won a final for 5 years.
but but but we played Rozee, Duursma and Butters almost all year
we are playing all the youf!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back