Opinion Port Adelaide and their Prison Bars

Remove this Banner Ad

I have seen the effect that the introduction of AFL clubs has on the local state comps, it has disenfranchised many die hard supporters. I agree with sr36 that the SANFL team should adopt the Power colours and jumper if they truly want to identify the 2 clubs as one, you know "never tear us apart"
pay homage to whatever jumper you want to for heritage rounds, no problem. I can recall Freo wearing East Fremantle's blue and white for a heratige round and also South Fremantle's red and white on another occasion.

The OP gave me the impression that it would be a season long thing as it's their anniversary.
That's really another issue entirely. Should they be able to wear it full-time? I say no due to league branding and aesthetic.
For their "150th year", I'm a bit more receptive of that.

Hmmm lets see...

We had the black and white colors first.

We had the black and white stripes first.

It was a condition to them joining the AFL that they wouldn't wear the black and white stripes.

They can **** off.

Was it actually a condition that they wouldn't wear black and white stripes, or has that sort of become footy folk lore?
All this crap about Eddie stopping them, which makes no sense at all, has me confused 23 years down the track.

I can only assume you’re referring to their main jumper, not that horrid grey rags thing they wear for some away games?
Yup the below one.

Ollie-Wines-Port-Adelaide-Power-AFL-2017-415x285.jpg

Was it actually a condition that they wouldn't wear black and white stripes, or has that sort of become footy folk lore?
All this crap about Eddie stopping them, which makes no sense at all, has me confused 23 years down the track.

Port Adelaide magpies had to agree to name and jumper design change away from magpies and black and white stripes to gain an AFL licence.

Whilst they ended up creating essentially a "new" club (The Port Adelaide power) to allow PAFC magpies to remain in the SANFL, they aren't considered separate and come under the 1 umbrella of Port Adelaide FC.

They just have a SANFL history and a AFL history.

150 years as a club/organisation rather then 150 years in the AFL.

Port Adelaide magpies had to agree to name and jumper design change away from magpies and black and white stripes to gain an AFL licence.

Whilst they ended up creating essentially a "new" club (The Port Adelaide power) to allow PAFC magpies to remain in the SANFL, they aren't considered separate and come under the 1 umbrella of Port Adelaide FC.

Yeah, i just read through the guernsey thread, and it seems they agreed to no black and white stripes, but nobody including the Port supporters have ever actually seen any documentation.

Yeah, i just read through the guernsey thread, and it seems they agreed to no black and white stripes, but nobody including the Port supporters have ever actually seen any documentation.

I'm not sure if it is still there but there used to be some SA news clips of them signing said documents and talking about the conditions of entry on youtube.

McGuire goes bang. His first reaction was the same as mine, yawn - not this s**t again. A few interesting points though. If they continue this annual charade I'd like to see us change the third point.

• Collingwood looked to sponsor the Port Magpies when Port Power turned their back on them in their early AFL days
  • Power has signed three contracts including on entry that relinquished wearing black and white
  • McGuire/Collingwood is yet to say no to a one-off request that Port wear black and white

We actually had to create the Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club and move them to Ethelton because the SANFL clubs at the time wouldn't allow a SANFL & AFL presence at the same HQ at Alberton... SA football politica mayhem.

I mean people can flog this to death but the PAFC entered the AFL the Coach, CEO, President & HQ at Alberton didn't change from the SANFL to the initial elevation into the AFL.

For what it's worth I don't have an emotional attachment to The Magpie at all the guernsey is a different issue.

Congrats to Port Celebrating 150 years in the SANFL.
I would not personally have an issue with them wearing Black and White for one match to celebrate this, but from the sound of things it is Geelong we should be asking.
Blue and White horizontal hoops.
How prophetic this turned out to be. Four months later and the Cats apparently dictate uniforms choice to the AFL for key finals.

We actually had to create the Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club and move them to Ethelton because the SANFL clubs at the time wouldn't allow a SANFL & AFL presence at the same HQ at Alberton... SA football politica mayhem.

I mean people can flog this to death but the PAFC entered the AFL the Coach, CEO, President & HQ at Alberton didn't change from the SANFL to the initial elevation into the AFL.

For what it's worth I don't have an emotional attachment to The Magpie at all the guernsey is a different issue.
Port Adelaide Football Club (Power) and Port Adelaide Magpies is a messy situation brought about by how the AFL club was established as a legal entity. Seemingly the narrative has also shifted no doubt concluded in a history sense by the merger of PAFC and PAMFC.

Merger - 2010

PAMFC were very close to going under.
If the SANFL clubs vote against the merger - or opt to hold off a vote to seek more detail - the Magpies could face a season like Fitzroy's 1996 farewell. Creditors, the ATO and off-field crises will be more of an issue than wins and losses.

The Magpies will be forced next month to sell their Prince of Wales Hotel to satisfy the ATO, creditors, staff wages and to bankroll its season, which will end with no assets to fund another year in the SANFL.

"Quite honestly, this merger will not happen a year down the track. It will happen now or it won't happen at all," Power chief executive Mark Haysman said.

"My understanding is that if the vote doesn't get up on Tuesday then the Magpies, who are under significant financial pressure, will have to sell their hotel to fund the short-term challenges they have and to survive in the SANFL for another season.

"So we have to get a positive vote at Tuesday's meeting or it will be off the table for both clubs because we will both need to get on with things and do what we need to do (to survive)."

The Port Adelaide situation is unique in Australian football, as since 1997 there have been two Port Adelaide Football Clubs sharing the brand, history and heritage of PAFC but running as separate - and often competing - businesses.

Under conditions imposed when Port Adelaide entered the AFL in the mid-90s, cooperation between the Power and Magpies was strictly prohibited, with the two ‘Port Adelaide’ clubs required to operate as entirely separate entities.

The Power will continue to wear its popular new ‘back in black’ jumper, while the Magpies will continue to be called the ‘Magpies’ and wear the traditional ‘prison bar’ jumper.

Under the proposal there would be two legal entities - the Port Adelaide Football Club and its SANFL division, the Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club - which would be overseen by one common board with ultimate responsibility for both.

Power chief executive Mark Haysman said the decision would allow Port Adelaide to resolve the brand identity problems which had plagued the two clubs.

"Quite simply, we will now be able to say we are the Port Adelaide Football Club, we were established in 1870," Haysman said.

"We are one club with teams in two competitions - the AFL and the SANFL and we are the only authentic, traditional club to have entered a team into the AFL from outside of Victoria."

Port Adelaide's constitution - 2013

PA constitution said:
4.5 "Club" shall mean the "Port Adelaide Football Club" as established by the Company in 1996;

4.8 "Effective Date" means 1 November 2013;

4.12 "PAMFC Inc" shall mean Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club Incorporated;

Last edited:
Port Adelaide Football Club (Power) and Port Adelaide Magpies is a messy situation brought about by how the AFL club was established as a legal entity. Seemingly the narrative has also shifted no doubt concluded in a history sense by the merger of PAFC and PAMFC.

Merger - 2010

PAMFC were very close to going under.

Port Adelaide's constitution - 2013

Yea the one club reunification was important and obviously now the Port Magpies are our reserves side, hindsight is wonderful but it would've been simpler to move lock stock barrel (insert snowtown joke) to the AFL & leave the SANFL behind forever but SA Football Politics are absurd.. they hate us but they want us.. they still want our blood from 1990 but we forced them into creating their lovechild and entering the Crows yadda yadda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hello there, I am the guy who runs the #bringbackthebars campaign.

Our campaign has nothing to do with the Magpie, nobody is asking for that, that was mis-direction by Eddie last night.

All we ask is that we be allowed to wear our traditional guernsey (which isn't the same as Collingwoods) on an annual basis.

It's not something that we should even need to ask for, and if you are being reasonable most people would see this argument as ridiculous.

A club as big as Collingwood shouldn't give two shits, I think Eddie painted himself into a corner in the past and needs you guys to point out to him that the argument against is as pointless as the regular debate.

Our campaign has nothing to do with the Magpie, nobody is asking for that, that was mis-direction by Eddie last night.

All we ask is that we be allowed to wear our traditional guernsey (which isn't the same as Collingwoods) on an annual basis.

It's not something that we should even need to ask for, and if you are being reasonable most people would see this argument as ridiculous.

A club as big as Collingwood shouldn't give two shits, I think Eddie painted himself into a corner in the past and needs you guys to point out to him that the argument against is as pointless as the regular debate.
I think McGuire's point around the magpie was the PAFC wasn't always supportive of PAMFC as they looked to forge a new identity; that in a way PAFC were therefore turning their back on their heritage. In terms of having to ask it's a problem created due to the contracts that have been signed by Port Adelaide and also AFL trademarks.

There's four positions with regards to PA wearing black and white prison bars.
  • PA supporters who are strongly for
  • People who want to stick it to McGuire/Collingwood
  • People who couldn't care
  • Collingwood supporters who are strongly against

Those who are strongly for or against won't be persuaded and each can form reasonable arguments as to their position. To say otherwise is stirring the pot.

I think McGuire's point around the magpie was the PAFC wasn't always supportive of PAMFC as they looked to forge a new identity; that in a way PAFC were therefore turning their back on their heritage. In terms of having to ask it's a problem created due to the contracts that have been signed by Port Adelaide and also AFL trademarks.

There's four positions with regards to PA wearing black and white prison bars.
  • PA supporters who are strongly for
  • People who want to stick it to McGuire/Collingwood
  • People who couldn't care
  • Collingwood supporters who are strongly against

Those who are strongly for or against won't be persuaded and each can form reasonable arguments as to their position. To say otherwise is stirring the pot.
But that's absolutely untrue and SANFL propaganda. A situation we were forced into (a little like the guernsey issue).

I also believe that most people strongly against absolutely can be convinced otherwise if we take their objections and analyse them correctly, the situation and the world is a very different place in terms of nearly everything compared to 1997!

Personally I don’t really care but a contract was signed and agreement was reached, this agreement suited Port Adelaide at the time And no one is arguing it was agreed to under duress. Port joined the AFL and unfortunately there was a club that had the mighty bird of prey as it’s logo and the colours as it’s trademark. I would argue football is more than a business to most of us but it is a business none the less. Collingwood did not join the SANFL, we moved from the VFL to the AFL we just did this first.

my advice would be to take the prison bars and just add two (is it turquoise) stripes, embrace the design and history and merge with the current day. Not even Eddie could argue. There have been Port Adelaide players that have busted their guts for your Club with the aqua colour, don’t forget those guys either They too are your history.

Thanks for your input.

Can I just confirm....are you saying you just want to wear it once a year? Or are you saying that you want it to become your permanent guernsey (or at least wear it the whole of this year as a celebration?)

I personally don't have a major issue if you are only seeking to use it as a heritage guernsey for a showdown. I would have an issue if you are looking to use it longer than that. It's still black and white stripes at the end of the day, and symbolizes a club that also goes by the Magpie name.

If you could please clarify your position.

But that's absolutely untrue and SANFL propaganda. A situation we were forced into (a little like the guernsey issue).

I also believe that most people strongly against absolutely can be convinced otherwise if we take their objections and analyse them correctly, the situation and the world is a very different place in terms of nearly everything compared to 1997!
I understand the sentiment and history behind wanting the bars back as I'd like to see Collingwood return to using the white based jumper as our home jumper. That white based jumper screams Collingwood to me more so than our black based jumper despite winning our most recent flag in black.

I'm in the strongly against argument and that has nothing to do with Port. Simply black and white and particularly black and white stripes in the V/AFL is Collingwood to me. It's a big part of what makes Collingwood uniquely Collingwood. While other clubs share colours (but not in combination with a similar design) since 1892 we've been the only black and white team in the our comp (VFA or VFL/AFL) and I don't want that to change.

Thanks for your input.

Can I just confirm....are you saying you just want to wear it once a year? Or are you saying that you want it to become your permanent guernsey (or at least wear it the whole of this year as a celebration?)

I personally don't have a major issue if you are only seeking to use it as a heritage guernsey for a showdown. I would have an issue if you are looking to use it longer than that. It's still black and white stripes at the end of the day, and symbolizes a club that also goes by the Magpie name.

If you could please clarify your position.
My worry is where does it stop. A one off gesture has turned into further one off gestures and in turn a continuous push by PAFC for more. Who's to say that in x years of wearing the bars twice a year there won't be another argument to increase the use further. Port re-introduced their white number panel initially just for showdowns, however after just 2 seasons it became their main jumper.

McGuire goes bang. His first reaction was the same as mine, yawn - not this s**t again. A few interesting points though. If they continue this annual charade I'd like to see us change the third point.

• Collingwood looked to sponsor the Port Magpies when Port Power turned their back on them in their early AFL days
  • Power has signed three contracts including on entry that relinquished wearing black and white
  • McGuire/Collingwood is yet to say no to a one-off request that Port wear black and white

Just some clarification

Collingwood offered to buyout/Sponsor PAMFC at the same time the beginnings of a reunification of the financials between the SANFL and AFL club was beginning conversation.
From memory it was a if PAFC can't afford to take on PAMFC and their debt, CFC is keen.

It wasn't (as he painted it) an expression to take over the SANFL club when the SANFL blocked Port from leaving the SANFL without first creating a PAMFC to remain in the SANFL in 1997.

The only contract out of the 3 (to my best knowledge as the contracts that always get mentioned never seemed to be released or seen anywhere) has mentioned prison bars rather than black and white is the 2007 agreement that Kochie mentioned in Ports press release (see here
)

AFL/Collingwood denied the request for Port to wear prison bars for our last ever game at AAMI stadium to celebrat the 100 year anniversary of winning Champions of Australia against Carlton. Eddie is just using his voice and platform to gaslihht and win the PR war.

Ports first preference for the heritage round in years 2004 and 2005 was the prison bars what was denied subsequently wearing it's first ever guernsey and the famous magenta. Then in 2007 (the theme for heritage round was the 80s) the club was told to wear a training top rather than the prison bars and it decided to ignore heritage round all together.

Just some clarification

Collingwood offered to buyout/Sponsor PAMFC at the same time the beginnings of a reunification of the financials between the SANFL and AFL club was beginning conversation.
From memory it was a if PAFC can't afford to take on PAMFC and their debt, CFC is keen.

It wasn't (as he painted it) an expression to take over the SANFL club when the SANFL blocked Port from leaving the SANFL without first creating a PAMFC to remain in the SANFL in 1997.

The only contract out of the 3 (to my best knowledge as the contracts that always get mentioned never seemed to be released or seen anywhere) has mentioned prison bars rather than black and white is the 2007 agreement that Kochie mentioned in Ports press release (see here
)

AFL/Collingwood denied the request for Port to wear prison bars for our last ever game at AAMI stadium to celebrat the 100 year anniversary of winning Champions of Australia against Carlton. Eddie is just using his voice and platform to gaslihht and win the PR war.

Ports first preference for the heritage round in years 2004 and 2005 was the prison bars what was denied subsequently wearing it's first ever guernsey and the famous magenta. Then in 2007 (the theme for heritage round was the 80s) the club was told to wear a training top rather than the prison bars and it decided to ignore heritage round all together.
Interesting info, cheers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back