Opinion Port Adelaide and their Prison Bars

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
It looks like something a 10 year old child would make in art class at school

View attachment 886558O
Wheres the Teal?
As far as I understand AFL clubs have registered logos and colours.
As Collingwood have Black and White as the registered colours, and PP have Black, White and Teal, how can they be allowed to play in our colours?

Oct 7, 2001
AFL Club
Collingwood
There is VERY LITTLE TEAL in the power logo...uniform these days

fu**in shits me
We can only hope that they get shipped to China as the expansion club.
Koshie certainly supports the China experiment. Maybe the AFL can make him commissioner based permanently there.
Would make hundreds of thousands of 7 watchers happy!

Feb 8, 2007
Point Cook
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Spurs
I thought Port Power came into the AFL, not Port Adelaide FC. It seems to me however, Port Power is trying to morph into Port Adelaide. Will Port Power also have Port Adelaide's SANFL premierships added to their history as well?
Port Powers colours are Black, White, Silver and Teal, so they should incorporate these colours into their "Heritage" guernsey. If they want to acknowledge the history of the Port Adelaide FC, then they should incorporate the colour pink into their Heritage guernsey, as the Port Adelaide FC original colours were Black, White and Pink..

So, according to Koch allowing PA to wear the bars protects and celebrates the heritage as per the AFL charter. Ummm, what about protecting Collingwood's heritage? A heritage that includes being the only black and white side in the comp for over a century? PA's heritage is protected within the SANFL where that heritage was created and against rivals where that heritage was created. Similarly our heritage should be protected in the V/AFL. Their AFL heritage includes teal marine as does their heritage against the crows.

Koch said:
"We are simply asking the AFL to approve Port Adelaide to wear our iconic guernsey in South Australia against our local rivals, the Adelaide Crows.

"We aren't asking to wear it every week, or every home game, or against Collingwood."

Koch said it was clear the members wanted to see the guernsey and considered it appropriate for the Showdown.

"In a year like no other when we've seen the importance of family, community and heritage, we believe any decision not to allow us to wear this guernsey in Showdowns would be nothing short of mean-spirited," Koch said.

"One of the charters of the AFL is to protect and celebrate the heritage of our great game. We think wearing our black-and-white prison bar guernsey in Showdowns does just that."

Last edited:

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I love that prison bar jumper, I kinda wish we could wear it but,they are the Power, not Port Adelaide and they don't deserve to wear a great jumper like that anyway

Help My Club

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bit of a nothingburger if they only want it for the showdown. Turning this into a big deal only makes us look petty

Nope makes McGuire look petty/confirms he is petty.

Refer Nathan Buckley's considered comments re the same issue:

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley doesn’t have a problem with Port Adelaide wearing its “prison bars” jumper next week.

The move sparked a war of words between Magpies president Eddie McGuire and his Port Adelaide counterpart David Koch, with McGuire suggesting the dispute could end up in court.

But Buckley said he had sympathy for Port Adelaide, which is celebrating its 150th anniversary this season.

“It’s not a great year to be turning 150,” Buckley said on Thursday.

“Unfortunately the Port Adelaide side in the SANFL isn’t going to take the field, so I feel their pain in that regard.

“You couldn’t have anticipated trying to celebrate the history of a football club, a great football club, (with) your hands tied behind your back.

“The decision to wear the prison bar strip is a fair acknowledgment of the history of the football club. And I think that’s something that no one would have any specific issues with.

“I think it’s a fair celebration for Port to be able to do that in a Showdown.”

Very smart and well balanced Mr Buckley!

Nope makes McGuire look petty/confirms he is petty.

Refer Nathan Buckley's considered comments re the same issue:

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley doesn’t have a problem with Port Adelaide wearing its “prison bars” jumper next week.

The move sparked a war of words between Magpies president Eddie McGuire and his Port Adelaide counterpart David Koch, with McGuire suggesting the dispute could end up in court.

But Buckley said he had sympathy for Port Adelaide, which is celebrating its 150th anniversary this season.

“It’s not a great year to be turning 150,” Buckley said on Thursday.

“Unfortunately the Port Adelaide side in the SANFL isn’t going to take the field, so I feel their pain in that regard.

“You couldn’t have anticipated trying to celebrate the history of a football club, a great football club, (with) your hands tied behind your back.

“The decision to wear the prison bar strip is a fair acknowledgment of the history of the football club. And I think that’s something that no one would have any specific issues with.

“I think it’s a fair celebration for Port to be able to do that in a Showdown.”

Very smart and well balanced Mr Buckley!
Buckley speaks well, I noticed from the quote he said “a showdown“. I take that to be one showdown not every year.

Buckley speaks well, I noticed from the quote he said “a showdown“. I take that to be one showdown not every year.
Exactly, Buckley was talking about this year which Eddie said he was ok with as well.

I've noticed in this thread and the one on the main board that posters have tried to use that article to imply that Buckley is happy for it's ongoing use.

I'm in the no camp as well. Port Power joined the AFL knowing that they couldn't use the Port Adelaide colours or emblem.

As others have said where does it stop? Once/twice a year, every home game? Then what, use the Magpie emblem for the Showdown? then all home games?

Finally reading the main board thread I was amused where other teams supporters are saying Port should be allowed to wear what they want.

I bet their opinion would change if the shoe was on the other foot.

Last edited:

Mortimore 39ers

Assistant to the Travelling Secretary
Oct 19, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
There Can Be Only One
Hello there, I am the guy who runs the #bringbackthebars campaign.

Our campaign has nothing to do with the Magpie, nobody is asking for that, that was mis-direction by Eddie last night.

All we ask is that we be allowed to wear our traditional guernsey (which isn't the same as Collingwoods) on an annual basis.

It's not something that we should even need to ask for, and if you are being reasonable most people would see this argument as ridiculous.

A club as big as Collingwood shouldn't give two shits, I think Eddie painted himself into a corner in the past and needs you guys to point out to him that the argument against is as pointless as the regular debate.

The only thing I don't give "two shits" about are opposition supporters dropping into a Collingwood thread to lecture us about what it is we need to do in regards to your insignificant campaign.

You call them prison bars, I call them black and white vertical stripes. In the AFL only one team wear black and white vertical stripes and sorry mate but it's not Port Adelaide Power.

Oct 7, 2001
AFL Club
Collingwood
BD6768A9-DB30-4151-9CE6-2CC11D62D314.jpeg
FA460459-D980-43CF-8249-D45A7CAAE195.jpeg

Buckley’s opinion is tainted.

nomisg

Debutant
Nov 1, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
GSW
Buckley and Port, that's a story within itself.

Found this thread quite well balanced as a Port man. As clubs we share more than a few colours and hence why you guys campaigned for us to be in the AFL. An AFL without Port would have felt weird. As I still feel a AFL without Norwood feels weird, Freo/Crows/Eagles kinda f'd that idea.

Back to the jumper, this is just media cycle. I bet Eddie and Koch catch up and have laugh about it. No need for a lasting resolution. rinse/repeat.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bushrangers
The problem with consistently allowing one off times that they can wear black and white stripes is that it puts us in a weaker position to push back if they request to have it as a permanent jumper.
That is why companies like Nintendo so aggressively protect their trademarks from infringements.

Oct 7, 2001
AFL Club
Collingwood
Buckley and Port, that's a story within itself.

Found this thread quite well balanced as a Port man. As clubs we share more than a few colours and hence why you guys campaigned for us to be in the AFL. An AFL without Port would have felt weird. As I still feel a AFL without Norwood feels weird, Freo/Crows/Eagles kinda f'd that idea.

Back to the jumper, this is just media cycle. I bet Eddie and Koch catch up and have laugh about it. No need for a lasting resolution. rinse/repeat.
Both men certainly like the attention.
You may be onto something.

Horaceg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
I find it sad that Port have been in the AFL for a while, but are yet to embrace their colours and jumper - constantly bemoaning that they have to have teal in it. For god sake, embrace who and what you are. You wear teal.
There were a bunch of guys who won wearing those colours, they should embrace them because they are a big part of the club’s history also. They wear whatever that colour is???

Oct 7, 2001
AFL Club
Collingwood
There were a bunch of guys who won wearing those colours, they should embrace them because they are a big part of the club’s history also. They wear whatever that colour is???
As they have only won one AFL/VFL Premiership, Port should hold that jumper up as the most important in their history.

6EBE74FA-4404-47B3-84CF-74260F7D1CFA.jpeg

I understand that StKilda also hold their only Premiership jumper in the highest regard......

AAAF30DF-A951-45EB-91D4-2FB754BDDF56.jpeg

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
I 100% agree with Eddie on this. Everything is becoming more commercial and competitive in that regard, it has nothing to do with a match day clash. It’s about brand and positioning, we are seeking to exploit international markets. It’s like Cadbury not allowing anything remotely similar in their industry. Now venturing into the US, we need something distinctly ours. We have earned that right, as the biggest club in the country.

You give an inch, they will take a mile...and seems they already have...Port entered the league with an agreement not to adopt our colours and stripes. Eddie has accommodated them on occasion, now they want it as a regular fixture Next they’ll have us in Navy blue.

Take stock Port, Gill and other challengers...who pays your bills. Don’t bite the hand that feeds you. Floreat Pica!

Johno9911

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't have a problem with them wearing it purely for Showdowns. The showdown is a major draw card and aside from finals it's the biggest game the SA clubs play in a season, let them have it for that.

They can wear their prison bar set up for showdowns and for every other game they have to wear the usual Teal, Silver and Black set up. I know some people will say the Kochie is a "give an inch take a yard" type operator, but if the clubs and the AFL don't want to keep getting dragged into this bore of a topic, they should just have both clubs agree, put it in writing and be done with.

I don't have a problem with them wearing it purely for Showdowns. The showdown is a major draw card and aside from finals it's the biggest game the SA clubs play in a season, let them have it for that.

They can wear their prison bar set up for showdowns and for every other game they have to wear the usual Teal, Silver and Black set up. I know some people will say the Kochie is a "give an inch take a yard" type operator, but if the clubs and the AFL don't want to keep getting dragged into this bore of a topic, they should just have both clubs agree, put it in writing and be done with.
Like the original conditions that Port agreed with to join the AFL.

Back