Opinion Port Adelaide and their Prison Bars

Apr 26, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not as passionate about this as most other supporters it seems. As long as they don't wear it against Collingwood then I have no issues. The jumper looks good.
And what happens in the future when there in a Port v Collingwood grand final and they want to wear their home (prison bar) strip?
Do you want to attend a GF where the opposition are wearing black and white, running through a B&W banner with a magpie on it while there fans wear B&W? The afl would probably ask that we wear a non B&W strip so there was no clash.

AssassinAndy

All Australian
Jan 3, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle United
And what happens in the future when there in a Port v Collingwood grand final and they want to wear their home (prison bar) strip?
Do you want to attend a GF where the opposition are wearing black and white, running through a B&W banner with a magpie on it while there fans wear B&W? The afl would probably ask that we wear a non B&W strip so there was no clash.

To be fair I would just be happy to be in another grand final.

SchuPie

Premiership Player
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Celtics, Canucks
1 they’re not Port Adelaide Magpies

2 What agreement did they sign re their colours when they were granted their license?

3 feel free to wear whatever you want in SANFL

If I was Ed, I think I’d take it to court straight away so that forevermore the issue is resolved — this issue can’t keep coming up

In the space of a couple of weeks Port have gone from wanting to wear it in home showdowns to all showdowns.

You can bet your bottom dollar that next they'll want to wear it for all home games etc.

You give an inch and they'll take a mile.

Hope the club sticks to it's guns.

Nihilus

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Problem is, I don’t think they understand what that means

yes we do …

Firstly good luck in your game vs the Saints

Have you wondered why their was a 3rd attempt of a contract not allowing us to wear the prison bars ??? :think:

In regards to the 1st contract for the entry into the AFL we did sign it and we lived up to it but ….
after signing the contact we received the famous Collingwood letter which had a clause / condition in it written by Allan McAlister

we then met this condition and that lead to us bring this up again and again which lead to the 2nd Contract signing closing the 1st condition but
had a different condition in it ..the 2nd condition was that we could wear the black and white prison bars during heritage games & special occasions
but now their is no heritage games only special occasions .. So what is deemed special occasions ? what is special to us doesn't mean it is special to you

and beating the crows in this jumper in showdowns is special to us …

and this is why Eddie wanted the 3rd contract signed to close the 2nd condition to which we ended up saying NO and both
clubs will be discussed further later

well later on is now and that is probably why this is going to the AFL commission …..

This contract discussion reminds me of the Big bang episode where Sheldon gets schooled by Priya regarding to the
Roommate Agreement

I am sure the Lawyers will have fun over this

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
yes we do …

Have you wondered why their was a 3rd attempt of a contract not allowing us to wear the prison bars ??? :think:

In regards to the 1st contract for the entry into the AFL we did sign it and we lived up to it but ….
after signing the contact we received the famous Collingwood letter which had a clause / condition in it written by Allan McAlister

we then met this condition and that lead to us bring this up again and again which lead to the 2nd Contract signing closing the 1st condition but
had a different condition in it ..the 2nd condition was that we could wear the black and white prison bars during heritage games & special occasions
but now their is no heritage games only special occasions .. So what is deemed special occasions ? what is special to us doesn't mean it is special to you

and this is why Eddie wanted the 3rd contract signed to close the 2nd condition to which we ended up saying NO and both

well later on is now and that is probably why this is going to the AFL commission …..

This contract discussion reminds me of the Big bang episode where Sheldon gets schooled by Priya regarding to the
Roommate Agreement

Had we have known that a couple of decades down the track Port Power would try and encroach on our heritage we would never have supported them being granted a licence.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing and what we should have done is support another ground up club formation from SA similar to the Crows.
The simple fact in all this is that a club was created by a SANFL club to compete in the AFL. This club chose new colours and a new jumper and logo.
Now they want to change this. The colours, design and logo of the club that created the Port Power have absolutely nothing to do with thier time in the AFL. Unlike our colours, design and logo which have been a part of the AFL since it’s inception, and for most of the time that the competition that the AFL was morphed from.
If Port Power want to use “history” to change their colours design and logo, then how about they use the colours design etc from their formation.
Just like we do!

In the space of a couple of weeks Port have gone from wanting to wear it in home showdowns to all showdowns.

You can bet your bottom dollar that next they'll want to wear it for all home games etc.

You give an inch and they'll take a mile.

Hope the club sticks to it's guns.

Yup, pretty much. It went from heritage round to home showdowns, now it’s every showdown. I agree 100% that if they get permission for 2 showdowns they will start pushing for every home game. It’s a complete farce, the AFL needs to stand up and enforce the registered jumper design - Port knowingly and willingly joined a competition where another team already has black & white vertical stripes and had to register a different jumper. End of story, enough.

Anybody who can’t see the problem or doesn’t think Port’s SANFL jumper is too similar is being disingenuous and let’s not get started on those just jumping on the same old anti-Eddie bandwagon.

Nihilus

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Had we have known that a couple of decades down the track Port Power would try and encroach on our heritage we would never have supported them being granted a licence.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing and what we should have done is support another ground up club formation from SA similar to the Crows.
The simple fact in all this is that a club was created by a SANFL club to compete in the AFL. This club chose new colours and a new jumper and logo.
Now they want to change this. The colours, design and logo of the club that created the Port Power have absolutely nothing to do with thier time in the AFL. Unlike our colours, design and logo which have been a part of the AFL since it’s inception, and for most of the time that the competition that the AFL was morphed from.
If Port Power want to use “history” to change their colours design and logo, then how about they use the colours design etc from their formation.
Just like we do!

Nothing has been mentioned by us about using the Magpie logo the only one who keeps on bringing it up is Eddie (maybe because of the McAlister letter) to rally the collingwood supporter group ...

personally i just want to see us beat up the crows in the prison bars in showdowns

Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)

Like the Tiggies did in 2017?

Horaceg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
yes we do …

Roommate Agreement

[ME

Have you moved from Twitter to BigFooty.com, stay off this board and stick with your reelection Donald, we’re not buying your fake news.

1592520654317.gif

Horaceg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just like we do!
There is a recoding in 2017 where David Koch expressly states, there was an agreement by a previous administration and we intend to honour it. Port are now looking a loopholes and lawyer speak to see if they can erode the initial intent, don’t wear black and white, don’t use the magpie, pretty simple It’s a media circus, anything associated with Collingwood is good for clicks and seeking attention.

The sad fact is that the supporters are the ones being taken on a ride By their own President. i don’t know what the real intent is but, developing a rivalry bigger than it is, sell more tickets, overcoming some sort of inferiority complex, who knows. As a long term supporter of the Black and White, show some respect please.

One supporter said they have been around longer than us, true but the jumper design and branding hasn’t If you want to walk down that path.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nothing has been mentioned by us about using the Magpie logo the only one who keeps on bringing it up is Eddie (maybe because of the McAlister letter) to rally the collingwood supporter group ...

personally i just want to see us beat up the crows in the prison bars in showdowns
As shown previously in this thread, official Port Power merchandise display a Magpie.
You can see yourselves beat up the Crows in the prison bars, just change the white to your traditional Port Power Teal.

Sep 8, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide (SANFL)
Just like we do!
You know repeating a lie doesn't make it the truth.

I wouldn't expect you to read nor watch the following links but the facts are there for all to see and read.

b9b88eb5e72a9ec5514cc3aa46179545.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

I'm sorry but the magpie logo is everywhere at Port games. The fans wear prison bar jumpers and scarves adorned with a magpie. A magpie that looks identical to Collingwood's. I know this is technically not official merchandise, but that is of little consequence. Port's training gear is totally black and white now. Port's away jumper has virtually no teal at all - it's black, white and grey. It's a terrific jumper.

My opinion is that Collingwood must stand up on this issue and enforce its trademarks. If the AFL abandons its original position, then Collingwood must take it to court. The Port supporters, or at least a good many of them, are already wearing black and white stripes at all games. We gave em an inch and they took a mile. No more.

Last edited:

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I

I'm sorry but the magpie logo is everywhere at Port games. The fans where prison bar jumpers and scarves adorned with a magpie. A magpie that looks identical to Collingwood's. I know this is technically not official merchandise, but that is of little consequence. Port's training gear is totally black and white now. Port's away jumper has virtually no teal at all - it's black, white and grey. It's a terrific jumper.

My opinion is that Collingwood must stand up on this issue and enforce its trademarks. If the AFL abandons its original position, then Collingwood must take it to court. The Port supporters, or at least a good many of them, are already wearing black and white stripes at all games. We gave em an inch and they took a mile. No more.
Black & White are official Port colours just as teal & silver (grey*) are the fans can wear whatever they like, there is no law that we have to wear teal and apart from a few clash/away guernseys in the past it's never been more dominant than black & white on our kits.

I

I'm sorry but the magpie logo is everywhere at Port games. The fans where prison bar jumpers and scarves adorned with a magpie. A magpie that looks identical to Collingwood's. I know this is technically not official merchandise, but that is of little consequence. Port's training gear is totally black and white now. Port's away jumper has virtually no teal at all - it's black, white and grey. It's a terrific jumper.

The AFL owns the trademarks for every club. We have no say in this.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Black & White are official Port colours just as teal & silver (grey*) are the fans can wear whatever they like, there is no law that we have to wear teal and apart from a few clash/away guernseys in the past it's never been more dominant than black & white on our kits.

Oh you poor desperate Johnny-come-lately wanna-be's . If only you had the rich history of the Port Adelaide of SANFL fame, you could regress to a lovely pink or magenta number.

1601337513471.png

1601337545474.png

Last edited:
Back