Opinion Port Adelaide and their Prison Bars

Remove this Banner Ad

Or he’ll just rollover is the more likely scenario. I’m still seething more about Eddies treatment than I am about the impending lockdown and that my holidays are cancelled again.

Why would a president roll over and anger the members?

You think Eddie is some magical person who is the only one that can fight for his club?

Why would a president roll over and anger the members?

You think Eddie is some magical person who is the only one that can fight for his club?
Pretty much, the AFL has never seen a more passionate and influential president. It took every ounce of his energy and ability to repel the hoards from across the border. Everyone else will fail.

Pretty much, the AFL has never seen a more passionate and influential president. It took every ounce of his energy and ability to repel the hoards from across the border. Everyone else will fail.

Other Presidents were able to get 150million dollar grants from Government's behind closed doors.

Are they not influential too? Or is because Eddie makes his argument in the public forum he has more power you think?

Other Presidents were able to get 150million dollar grants from Government's behind closed doors.

Are they not influential too? Or is because Eddie makes his argument in the public forum he has more power you think?
I’m not sure of those specifics, it’s not like we didn’t have our fair share of government deals...Vic Park, Olympic Park...we never had to sell out home games so if your talking about the Hawks to Tassie then that’s hardly comparable.

I’m merely pointing out that Eddies achievements are far superior to what most give him credit for on here. The way people have been carrying on your think he buried us like John Elliot did Carlton.

I’m not sure of those specifics, it’s not like we didn’t have our fair share of government deals...Vic Park, Olympic Park...we never had to sell out home games so if your talking about the Hawks to Tassie then that’s hardly comparable.

I’m merely pointing out that Eddies achievements are far superior than what most give him credit for on here. The way people have been carrying on your think he buried us like John Elliot did Carlton.

Of course Eddie has achievements, he had the role for over 2 decades...

The point is it's no longer healthy for him to remain President, his presence has become toxic for the club both from a PR and sponsorship perspective, plus 22 years running one place is a terrible terrible idea. Both parties could use a fresh perspective.

Also you should check the accomplishments of other club Presidents who seem to of done quite well for themselves working behind closed doors without yelling to the media...

Last edited:
Of course Eddie has achievements, he had the role for over 2 decades...

The point is it's no longer healthy for him to remain President, his presence has become toxic for the club both from a PR and sponsorship perspective, plus 22 years running one place is a terrible terrible idea. Both parties could use a fresh perspective.

Also you should check the accomplishments of other club Presidents who seem to of done quite well for themselves working behind closed doors without yelling to the media...
It hasn’t become toxic at all. That is just the perspective of the fake news media. It’s important to deal in facts.

I’m not saying others haven’t done well, but I did query what you were referring to with your 150m statement. I note you didn’t respond, so I’m guessing you’re just making blind statements.

What I am saying is that no president has done better. From bankrupt to powerhouse. We have the best facilities in the best and most sporting city in the world. No handouts, no help just good organic growth. Nobody has done better that’s my statement, you have no statement unless you can back it up with facts.

It hasn’t become toxic at all. That is just the perspective of the fake news media. It’s important to deal in facts.

I’m not saying others haven’t done well, but I did query what you were referring to with your 150m statement. I note you didn’t respond, so I’m guessing you’re just making blind statements.

What I am saying is that no president has done better. From bankrupt to powerhouse. We have the best facilities in the best and most sporting city in the world. No handouts, no help just good organic growth. Nobody has done better that’s my statement, you have no statement unless you can back it up with facts.

Check how much teams like Geelong Hawthorn St Kilda ect have gotten from the Government to upgrade their facilities... All without throwing a tantrum in the media too.

It hasn't become toxic? You must've missed the entire general public labelling Collingwood a club "guilty of systemic racism towards indigenous players"... yea... nothing toxic about that. One major sponsor has already pulled the plug on extending their deal, they won't be the last. No one wants their brand attached to anything that has a "racist" mark on it.

Check how much teams like Geelong Hawthorn St Kilda ect have gotten from the Government to upgrade their facilities... All without throwing a tantrum in the media too.

It hasn't become toxic? You must've missed the entire general public labelling Collingwood a club "guilty of systemic racism towards indigenous players"... yea... nothing toxic about that. One major sponsor has already pulled the plug on extending their deal, they won't be the last. No one wants their brand attached to anything that has a "racist" mark on it.
The entire public? Have you spoken to each one of them? Is this the same entire public that said Brexit wouldn’t happen, that Morrison wouldn’t be prime minister, that trump wouldn’t make it to office. It’s a sham if you haven’t realised already, fake news media and social media do not reflect societies views on matters. Every sensible human can Eddies faux pas for what they were, mistakes...and every one can see Lumumba for what he is... a fool. Sponsors like sheep that follow trends pull sponsorship, that’s fine play on. Get somebody else, stand your ground.

This is the same media that have somehow managed to paint Kyrgios in a positive light, forgotten about the pedophile scandals in the royal family and completely disregard the environment.Go figure

you check it out, you’re the one claiming they have done something not me.

The entire public? Have you spoken to each one of them? Is this the same entire public that said Brexit wouldn’t happen, that Morrison wouldn’t be prime minister, that trump wouldn’t make it to office. It’s a sham if you haven’t realised already, fake news media and social media do not reflect societies views on matters. Every sensible human can Eddies faux pas for what they were, mistakes...and every one can see Lumumba for what he is... a fool. Sponsors like sheep that follow trends pull sponsorship, that’s fine play on. Get somebody else, stand your ground.

This is the same media that have somehow managed to paint Kyrgios in a positive light, forgotten about the pedophile scandals in the royal family and completely disregard the environment.Go figure

you check it out, you’re the one claiming they have done something not me.

Yep... losing major sponsors due to a racism scandal is fine... just get another one.

Delusion and ignorance at it's finest.

Yep... losing major sponsors due to a racism scandal is fine... just get another one.

You still haven’t backed up your claims with any evidence. Sponsors pander to media pressure, it doesn’t mean that the hysteria they’ve created is true and correct. Eddie is not racist neither is our club, that is fact. If you think otherwise maybe go post on the Carlton board...or provide some evidence. Evidence is key, by not thinking for yourself and just regurgitating what you see and hear on the news and social media will inevitably wind you up on the wrong side of the argument.

You still haven’t backed up your claims with any evidence. Sponsors pander to media pressure, it doesn’t mean that the hysteria they’ve created is true and correct. Eddie is not racist neither is our club, that is fact. If you think otherwise maybe go post on the Carlton board...or provide some evidence. Evidence is key, by not thinking for yourself and just regurgitating what you see and hear on the news and social media will inevitably wind you up on the wrong side of the argument.

It doesn't matter whether it's true, if Eddie can't control the story and that results in sponsors leaving us then he is not the right man for the job, why can't you get that? You think multi-million dollar sponsorship deals just grow on trees?

Go look up how much money the Government has given Geelong to upgrade and redevelop their home ground/training base over the past 5 years, you're not worth me doing a google search.

It doesn't matter whether it's true, if Eddie can't control the story and that results in sponsors leaving us then he is not the right man for the job, why can't you get that? You think multi-million dollar sponsorship deals just grow on trees?

Go look up how much money the Government has given Geelong to upgrade and redevelop their home ground/training base over the past 5 years, you're not worth me doing a google search.
So there is no evidence to back up your claims. That is fine.

I get what you’re saying but Geelong is a one team town, in a growth area...not as hard a sell as redeveloping Olympic park.

Ultimately that’s why Eddie stood down no point stick around for 9 months if it was to cost us sponsorship. My original argument was that he is/was the most influential and passionate president, you’re the one that brought in the entirely unfounded racist argument into the mix.

$150M grants?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you elaborate on these grants to these clubs and list those we’ve had. Just so I can get my head around it.

The hysterical hyperbole is reaching new extremes.

We’ve still got all our sponsors. Emirants have diverted $1M of this years contribution. Their deal expires at the end of 2021, let’s wait and see if they opt to renew before we start screaming the sky is falling.

I know how much they’ve given Geelong, just waiting for you to confirm that it was $150M as you’ve claimed. And to compare that with what we’ve also been given by the government since we moved to Olympic Park.

I know how much they’ve given Geelong, just waiting for you to confirm that it was $150M as you’ve claimed. And to compare that with what we’ve also been given by the government since we moved to Olympic Park.
Not to mention also that one development is in Geelong and the other in the best sporting precinct in the world...

There's a debate thread currently on the FJGD board I am an active member on over the idea of Port Adelaide wearing their PBs for their 150th year in 2020.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/05...son-bar-jumper-for-150th-anniversary-russell/
Allegedly Port Adelaide will not return to their Prison Bar guernsey for their anniversary and may instead don a variant of their very first guernsey back in 1870, despite it only existing for a short period of time.

Was wondering what everybody on the Collingwood board who aren't necessarily into all the jumpers/graphics design stuff I am thought about the situation that has certainly put Port and Collingwood at odds over the years.

Personally, I would have no problem with Port Adelaide being allowed to wear their Prison Bars for Showdowns in any season, though I believe the full-time adoption of the Prison Bars is something the AFL wants to avoid in order to protect the brand Collingwood has already established and maintained.
No issue at all for their home games. Jumpers a nothing alike. When they play us they revert to anything else

No issue at all for their home games. Jumpers a nothing alike. When they play us they revert to anything else
Except of course after a while when they play us at home it will be our home game we can wear what we like. Then it will be these are our colours, find your own...you can’t given an inch...Eddie was 100% on this.

I think it shows disrespect for the Port Adelaide teams that proudly wore the Teal and won the ultimate, if they want to wear the prison bars, just add teal, in a time where inclusion is so relevant.

We haven’t lost any sponsors was announced last year that the Holden and CGU deals would come to an end at the end of 2021. CGU is just trying to put some positive spin on it, to try and claim it was a question of morality and not the fact the deal was of no benefit to them from a business perspective

Happy for them to wear the prison bars from the PAFC. This one for instance...

Attachments

• Port-1893.gif
    Port-1893.gif
    18.9 KB · Views: 41

Remove this Banner Ad

Back