Port Adelaide and there consistent failure to attract players

Remove this Banner Ad

Polec - great value, cashed him out at the right time
Motlop - fine
Rockliff - bit below fine, but didn't break the bank and he got squeezed for a good side
Watts - yeah that's a waste, but unlucky with his ankle blowing apart
Finlayson - smart pick up for free
Dixon - good get, just always a bit too Dixon to be great
Aliir - smart pick up
Fantasia - a risk/reward that didn't pay off
Lycett - good get
Burton - good get
Ryder - good get
Ebert - good player
White - Matty White?!!!

I'd say Port have probably overachieved in recruiting considering:
A) they play in the Adelaide
B) it's been a long time since they were a buzz team on the rise

To miss out on Dunkley and Graham in the same year hurts though. Clearly a big body midfielder was a priority and they had plan A and B and both failed.
You could’ve landed a guy like Dunkley and I’d still say Ebert was the best pick up even though Dunkley’s better. That man would have willingly died on field for your football club and that level of commitment is irreplaceable. We just lost ours in Selwood. Heartbreaking

That’s true
Probably gives them a slight leg up over south aus
Agreed. Don't get me wrong i love where I live and wouldn't change it (Sydney originally). But if you're not from SA and don't have a family/friend circle here (particularly if you're still a young lad), Port Adelaide area wouldn't be my first choice.

The cattle hasn’t exactly been there IMO. There is a reasonable gap between Port’s very talented next crop, and ageing veterans.
Stop talking sense.
It goes over their head

Trust me, living in Adelaide.
Their fans think they have the best list in the league and it's Ken holding them backk.

The last two years have been very average in terms of attracting players, but still even then have got Rioli and Finlayson. Wouldn’t say we have consistent failure. Have gotten a huge amount of quality players from trades. But no doubt the AFL community have found out Hinkley is a dub

Why would you invest in coming to port when you don’t know who will be the coach in 2024 when Hinkley is sacked next year

why even go after jack graham?
the club is a shitshow

I do like the way the media reported it - he took a tour of Alberton and pretty much straight away was like 'nah, I'm good thanks'
There’s a chance Graham just didn’t like the vibes. There’s also a chance Port didn’t love the medical or interview

But the other factor is the Amon compo fell in that break as well. Richmond and Port likely had an agreed value on Graham otherwise why let him tour? The Amon compo coming in low might’ve impacted that. Suddenly Port has to put more picks in the deal and get cold feet.

We have lots of problems.

Recruiting hasn't been one of them
Neither has drafting.

So one might ask, where do the problems lie?
I’m surprised Port are going again with Kenny but the Cats just won the first flag since Sydney 2012 (and WC 06 before that) that hasn’t been based around around a core of highly drafted elite youth coming through together.

We’ve got 15 or so years of evidence that trying to pinch a flag by staying up the ladder without a group of 5 or so elite players in their prime is really tough going.

The odds of winning a flag by dropping to the bottom of the ladder aren’t necessarily any better. For one you have to concede 6+ years on the way down and way up, even up to 10 years if you botch it. And you can get it right then still blow the finals (St Kilda the best example).

As I said, I would’ve moved off Kenny. But at the same time the biggest problem with Port is there really is no problem, there’s just 18 teams and only 1 can win it.

I do like the way the media reported it - he took a tour of Alberton and pretty much straight away was like 'nah, I'm good thanks'
Whereas he was probably told "this is the role you'll be playing" and he didn't like it enough to move.

Polec - great value, cashed him out at the right time
Motlop - fine
Rockliff - bit below fine, but didn't break the bank and he got squeezed for a good side
Watts - yeah that's a waste, but unlucky with his ankle blowing apart
Finlayson - smart pick up for free
Dixon - good get, just always a bit too Dixon to be great
Aliir - smart pick up
Fantasia - a risk/reward that didn't pay off
Lycett - good get
Burton - good get
Ryder - good get
Ebert - good player
White - Matty White?!!!

I'd say Port have probably overachieved in recruiting considering:
A) they play in the Adelaide
B) it's been a long time since they were a buzz team on the rise

To miss out on Dunkley and Graham in the same year hurts though. Clearly a big body midfielder was a priority and they had plan A and B and both failed.
Didn't they also attract Toumpas and Trengove from Melbourne?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's some nice coastal areas around Semaphore, West Lakes, Grange etc that are close enough to Port Adelaide.

It's not like the players have to live in housing commission fibros next door to the port.
Hey man don't have to sell it to me, I live in the area I love it here. I just think it's a tough sell for a young footballer compared to Melbourne, Sydney or even Brisbane.

Adelaide is a hidden gem, in that unless you've lived here you don't know how good it is. Tbh I had no idea until I moved here.

Really strange thread. We brought in Aliir 2 off-seasons ago who then made AA in his first year. Fantasia also kicked 28 goals in 15 games. Obviously there is some concerns over Fantasia, but talent isn't one of them. We brought in Finlayson last off season which was a very handy pickup. The trade period hasn't even started yet and it's already a failure? In Hinkley's time we have brought in what Monfries, Polec, Ryan Burton, Ryder, Dixon, Lycett, Motlop, Rockliff, Aliir, Finlayson. Those are all high profile trades. Some worked, some didn't, but none of those guys were fringe spuds looking for more opportunity, they were first 22 players at their clubs. That's an average of 1 pretty high profile player per year and we have brought in 2 in the last 2 years.

Teams are linked to players all the time. There is always a good player being courted by 3-4 teams and 3 teams miss out. Some of the people we were supposedly linked to were probably bullshit. I have no idea why we would be interested in Grundy, but we were linked to him. Are we really losing sleep over fringe blokes like Graham? There are no reports we even tabled an offer to Graham, no ones even bothered to make up a number. He was prepared to come talk to us, probably heard we didn't rate him any higher or differently to Richmond whether that is in $ terms or positionally, so he declined. Dunkley has very clearly more of a family reason to go to Brisbane. We also didn't offer him more than the other clubs. So who else have we missed out on?

Merrett - we threw the kitchen sink at him with 900k per year, but apparently he wasn't gettable ... for anyone.
Dawson - We had a decent crack at him, would have been a really good get. By all accounts was a firm Crows supporter and many on our board thought him to Crows was a fait accompli.
Rankine - Not sure we were ever seriously interested in him. Again, my understanding he is heavily Crows leaning. We're also really into Pickett who is much better and has more links to Port. There is no way we can fit both in and it seems like we took a knee on Rankine. Crows have paid a min 750k per year for him which is overs for a small forward. I am not sure Pickett is worth 750k, but if you were giving someone that kind of money, it would be him. I am not losing sleep over him

So who else have we missed out on? - JHF/ Pickett - neither are gettable this year.

You know what's funny, in this thread you say you don't have trouble recruiting players, but in the threads about Vic superiority, you say you can't.

Ive said similar on both counts. The issue is clubs clearly have a better time of it and those clubs are usually big Victorian ones. If we need a certain type of player there are few options, certainly less than the pool of Victorian players going home. There's enough players with some sort of link to SA to build a good (top 4) level team, but there just isn't a Tom Lynch/ Jeremey Cameron type to push it over the top. Not even Dunkley is that player, and he probably wasn't ever coming to SA with stronger links to Qld than SA.

The premise of this thread is 'Port are poo, why doesn't anyone want to go there'. It's a completely different argument.

Ive said similar on both counts. The issue is clubs clearly have a better time of it and those clubs are usually big Victorian ones. If we need a certain type of player there are few options, certainly less than the pool of Victorian players going home. There's enough players with some sort of link to SA to build a good (top 4) level team, but there just isn't a Tom Lynch/ Jeremey Cameron type to push it over the top. Not even Dunkley is that player, and he probably wasn't ever coming to SA with stronger links to Qld than SA.

The premise of this thread is 'Port are poo, why doesn't anyone want to go there'. It's a completely different argument.
Yeah that's why Collingwood have a Jermey Cameron/Tom Lynch type, they are so easy to get.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back