Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
Ive said similar on both counts. The issue is clubs clearly have a better time of it and those clubs are usually big Victorian ones. If we need a certain type of player there are few options, certainly less than the pool of Victorian players going home. There's enough players with some sort of link to SA to build a good (top 4) level team, but there just isn't a Tom Lynch/ Jeremey Cameron type to push it over the top. Not even Dunkley is that player, and he probably wasn't ever coming to SA with stronger links to Qld than SA.

The premise of this thread is 'Port are poo, why doesn't anyone want to go there'. It's a completely different argument.
If Port are ‘poo’ it’s because both you and the Crows are unequivocally screwed by the fact that you don’t get to get free hits in the draft like the NSW and QLD clubs.

On paper the NSW team is much better than what SA can put out and that’s enough for me to say it’s time for SA to gain the same benefits.

I believe in equality even though this puts my own team at a disadvantage because we’ve always had good luck with SA lads.

PrisonBars4life

Club Legend
May 10, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If Port are ‘poo’ it’s because both you and the Crows are unequivocally screwed by the fact that you don’t get to get free hits in the draft like the NSW and QLD clubs.

On paper the NSW team is much better than what SA can put out and that’s enough for me to say it’s time for SA to gain the same benefits.

I believe in equality even though this puts my own team at a disadvantage because we’ve always had good luck with SA lads.
One way or another, there has to be a serious discussion of why SA has just stopped producing quality players. WA/Vic would beat us by 20 goals every time and I think that you're right about NSW. Even Qld have some decent local talent so to put us in that category is an enormous fall from grace in 25 years.

Given the linkages with senior SANFL clubs and the ability to promote kids that are clearly too good for u/18s, I just can't understand why we underperform to the extent that we do.

PrisonBars4life

Club Legend
May 10, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah that's why Collingwood have a Jermey Cameron/Tom Lynch type, they are so easy to get.

Did you win a flag this year? We lost a PF in 2014 and 2020 by a goal or less like you did. That's the entire point. Getting close is easy. Freo/ Adelaide/ Sydney/ Port/ Brisbane have all got close in the past 10 years. Once you get to that level, role players don't make you better. You don't make top 4 unless you have 24-30 quality players. You need genuine A graders to push you over the line.

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Did you win a flag this year? We lost a PF in 2014 and 2020 by a goal or less like you did. That's the entire point. Getting close is easy. Freo/ Adelaide/ Sydney/ Port/ Brisbane have all got close in the past 10 years. Once you get to that level, role players don't make you better. You don't make top 4 unless you have 24-30 quality players. You need genuine A graders to push you over the line.
But I thought it was easy for Victorian teams to get that talent?

Seems to me, just because Richmond and Geelong got 2 good forwards, you think all Vic clubs can get whoever they want, when they want.

You just lucked out with Dixon, not quite the standard of those 2.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
The bar for what outsiders think Port fans should consider success is so low that "almost in a grand final 8 years ago" is apparently the sign of a good coach.

He is a dud. Watch our games, there's nothing resembling a coherent gameplan other than "run harder than those blokes".

Get him out of my club
I think you judge harshly tbh.

It’s not what the VFL used to be - a twelve team comp where four teams were basically non starters due to money issues. It’s a genuine 18 team competition now - basically being a runner up every nine years and a premier every 18 years is normal.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
They all matter. 2020 one of the major reasons we lost was carrying the likes of Rohan etc. 2022, he’s performing and it’s made a huge difference.

And yes, Cameron has helped enormously.

Port hasn’t really had an out and out Star since Tredrea. Yes, Wines won a Brownlow - but he’s not a top-5 star like Tredrea, or in the last few flags, Petracca, Cameron, Dusty.

Dangerousfield

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Their list management is riding the events of the 2018 draft to justify their existence when in reality the overwhelming percentage of their decisions are bad ones. Need far more scrutiny.
People in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones!

Our record is pizz poor as well, we're no guarantee to lift out of the bottom bracket yet

Mar 3, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
People in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones!

Our record is pizz poor as well, we're no guarantee to lift out of the bottom bracket yet

Our list management has been poor and I'm on record as having said that. That is the source of plenty of debate on our board and the media gloat about it regularly. There is scrutiny for our list management in sharp contrast to the crickets you hear about Port's. One great draft and one decent FA pickup doesn't wipe their slate.

Not sure why following a team with poor list management means I cannot comment on another club. White knighting a bit hard.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Ken Hinkley is a dud coach and everyone knows it and David Koch and the board (all also duds) insistence on "stability" is letting us rot.

There's also potentially the issue of South Australia being hard to attract talent to that isn't from South Australia.

But we've done pretty well with attracting talent in previous years and have only started to see this in the last few.

It's all Hinkley and Koch killing this club. Sack them both.
Enough if this already. This isn't Arsenal under coach Arsene Wenger lol.

Your team has won 5 finals in the last 10 years. Fair from the worst side in the comp.

Freo are not the model of success or consistentcy.

But they have had 4 coaches that have at least one final since essendons last finals win in 2004.

Chris Connolly: 2006 semi final vs the demons

Mark Harvey: 2010 Elim final vs the hawks.

Ross Lyon: 2012 Elim final vs the cats, 2013 qualifying final vs the cats, 2013 preliminary final vs swans, 2015 qualifying final vs the swans.

Justin Longmuir: 2022 Elim final vs the dogs

PrisonBars4life

Club Legend
May 10, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
But I thought it was easy for Victorian teams to get that talent?

Seems to me, just because Richmond and Geelong got 2 good forwards, you think all Vic clubs can get whoever they want, when they want.

You just lucked out with Dixon, not quite the standard of those 2.
Richmond have had Prestia and Lynch come in with Tarranto and Hopper wanting in just this year. Melbourne had Lever and May. Geelong had Isaac Smith, Cameron and a s**t load of other players they didn't even need in the end. Hawthorn had Gunston, McEvoy, Frawley. Ryder is probably the only player in the ball pack of those guys, we got him 8 years ago and he came with a risk of a year off which blew up one of our seasons. If you don't want to admit that certain clubs have access to a higher tier of player than I don't know what to tell you.

Jan 24, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Detroit Red Wings
In the last 10 years or so....

Polec
Motlop
Rockliff
Watts
Finlayson
Dixon
Aliir
Fantasia
Lycett
Burton
Ryder
Ebert
White

CoNsIsTEnT FaILURe!!1!
Wow and only Ryder actually won a Port Power B&F.
Also bragging about recruiting Watts doesn’t really lend much credibility. Thanks for reminding me about that. I had completely forgot he went to you lol

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
I feel they attract plenty? Half their forward line and defense is players from other clubs. They are also getting Willie Rioli this year. Every team misses out on getting players.

HugeJohnson

Just hanging out
Apr 25, 2009
Some point in space and time
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Wow and only Ryder actually won a Port Power B&F.
Also bragging about recruiting Watts doesn’t really lend much credibility. Thanks for reminding me about that. I had completely forgot he went to you lol
I never said they were all world beaters, but the premise of the thread is we 'consistently fail to attract players'
Dixon was an AA CHF, Aliir an AA CHB, Ebert played 184 consistent games for us, Polec played well for us and we offloaded him at the right time, Finlayson and Burton have long careers ahead of them still and look promising, Motlop wasn't a star at all but gave us some great moments....

Macca180

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2021
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Mate, I don't think it's Port Adelaide the footy club.

Why would any young bloke want to live in Adelaide??

Older blokes with a family maybe.

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Love to hear delusional morons from other clubs who don't even watch us play say that it isn't the coach.

Teflon daddy donuts can do no wrong. We've watched the campaigner for 10 years. It's not just that we haven't made a grand final, it's that he consistently makes the same mistakes over and over. What kind of dullard says after being smashed by 75 points in a prelim he "wouldn't change a thing". Geelong got smashed in the other prelim and revamped their entire game.

* ken Hinkley.

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Mate, I don't think it's Port Adelaide the footy club.

Why would any young bloke want to live in Adelaide??

Older blokes with a family maybe.

Lol, what can you do in other cities you can't do in Adelaide you peanut?

I'll tell you what you can do, buy a house for under a million bucks.

Back