• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Yes, that bit read likes the non-apology apology of 'I'm sorry your offended', rather than an actual apology. They could have explained it with Professors or by interpretive dance, a s**t decision is a s**t decision.

You can still sell a s**t decision with a bit of honesty and humility, like, 'there's no standout leader but Ollie and Tom are the best suited candidates, so until a time arises where one of these fellas or another wants to lead this football club in the future, for the time being we are going to go with a co-captains structure'.

Not, 'it gives us a better chance to win, look, Sydney done it and they won a flag seven years ago!'.

Couldn't fathom Jonas' role Sat nite.

So often he was parked on a half bank flank near the boundary, hands on hips, not involved, no burst of activity, standing staring vacantly around, contributing sfa, pointing at others to get to positions to cover for him being in no man's land.
Think he needs to be a bit more engaged as captain. Like the pressure is all too much for him.
FMD, Edwards fitted into the skipper's role like hand in a glove, no problems. We need two guys to do one job and it's still too overwhelming for them.
Did someone make a comment about lack of leadership at the Club?

I said at the very beginning that Jonas being appointed captain was ******* dumb for this very reason. If the team is playing well, he won't be involved in the play. If the team is playing poorly, he can't inspire them with any sort of captain's act, because that would require him leaving his position.

I said at the very beginning that Jonas being appointed captain was ******* dumb for this very reason. If the team is playing well, he won't be involved in the play. If the team is playing poorly, he can't inspire them with any sort of captain's act, because that would require him leaving his position.

There have been plenty of great captains who have been defenders, including premiership captains. Jonas' problem is that he's lost the plot and is playing s**t football.

There have been plenty of great captains who have been defenders, including premiership captains. Jonas' problem is that he's lost the plot and is playing s**t football.

Name a key defender who has been a captain who has done anything of note in the AFL era.

Darren Glass was a lock down defender, premiership player, multiple B&F, captain and 4 time All Oz, because his coach dual premiership captain and dual All Oz John Worsfold was a lock down defender who refused to play a +1 defender for most of the '00's.

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Despite Ollie's s**t form the last two weeks, he will come good. He has time and will get there and grow into the catains role. And has a much higher ceiling than Jonas. And was always the right decision for captain.

Tom Jonas was always a massive risk as a captain for two reasons: 1 his tendency to do stupid things and get suspended (when we need him on the field most) and 2 he isn't that good of a footballer.

He has had a couple pretty decent seasons in 2017 and 2018 but the majority of his career he has been a fairly mediocre footballer and i can definitely recall large chunks of 2015 and 2016 calling for his head. He is getting back to those levels again.

Not saying the captain needs to be the sides best player but they at least should be one who's spot in this side should rarely if ever come under threat. Jonas doesn't have that much longer left before he gets overtaken by someone younger and better. We've already got the likes of Lienert out of the side dominating at SANFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you're splitting hairs to identify a difference between the roles played by Harley and Jonas.

Jonas isn’t the sort of defender Harley was. Harley, like Maxwell, had the ability to affect the play with an intercept and then deliver the ball and start a new attacking chain.

When Jonas tries to do that - 10 clangers. His disposal is shocking and he’s constantly turning the ball over. He’s suffering from a case of the Matthew Lobbe’s - trying to justify his captaincy by doing things he’s just not capable of doing, and it’s hurting the team.

He needs to reign his s**t in. It’s like the only club he’s got in his bag is a 5 iron when he needs a pitching wedge sometimes.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
With Jonas it was more that the potential for his type of defender (slow lock down), to adjust to the new rules, where at least at centre bounces teams can’t start with an overloaded Defense so defenders need speed to cover more space on a fast break.

So far the jury is still out, but his 2019 has been a poor start as a player. It’s yet another addition to the Co-Captain cluster*, that they choose one of them to be potentially the most affected player on our list.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm still a little surprised there weren't more comments re Jonas forgetting to call at the coin toss for the Brisbane game.
In all the years I have watched the game I have never seen the person tossing the coin have to catch it in mid air and then appear to tell the away captain, it's your call mate ( or something along those lines), before having to toss the coin again. :rolleyes:

It may be a small detail to some, but to me it was another sign Jonas is not in the right head space.

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I honestly don’t think it matters what position you play, a great leader is a great leader regardless. It’s really not the issue here.
Ollie and Tom might need some time to grow into the captaincy.

But the way so many others have lead on the field really makes them both look bad.

Houston, Rockliff, Boak, Lycett, Watts, Ebert and even Duursma and Rozee have all shown more leadership on the field than Jonas or Wines so far this year.

I still have hope that they will improve, and maybe cocaptains will prove the best decision later in the year, but I think Jonas should have been backed in as the lone captain based on what has happened so far in 2019.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ollie and Tom might need some time to grow into the captaincy.

But the way so many others have lead on the field really makes them both look bad.

Houston, Rockliff, Boak, Lycett, Watts, Ebert and even Duursma and Rozee have all shown more leadership on the field than Jonas or Wines so far this year.

I still have hope that they will improve, and maybe cocaptains will prove the best decision later in the year, but I think Jonas should have been backed in as the lone captain based on what has happened so far in 2019.

They will improve but “it” will not haha.

I’m laughing in anger.

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
6D24693D-E4A0-46D6-BBC8-BDBD0FBA1478.png

Power Ballad

Debutant
Aug 28, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I know it's not a popular opinion here, but I don't care about a sole captain wearing the #1 guernsey. I'm also largely in favour of most decisions made by the club in the off-season.

The biggest success of the club to date was the 2004 Premiership and on September 25th 2004 there was no one on the field wearing #1, our captain wore #16 that day and that was our on-field captain for most of that season. I'm not taking away anything from the prior 135 years of club history, but when the decision was made to enter the AFL the new goal was to win valuable Victorian silverware.

I'm also sure that in the near future, we will again have a #1 wearing solitary captain. I think that the reason most have their Prison Bar knickers in a twist over this is because the morons-down-the-road did it first.

15 years on, and 2004 is still the measuring stick of success. Walk into the Port Club and the first thing you see is that very AFL Premiership cup. In the lead up to this season we've seen acknowledgement of that year with appointment of Schofield, Montgomery and Brogan to the coaching staff.

Victoria, or anyone else outside of our fanbase will not acknowledge our prior successes. We had to know this when going into the AFL. This is why I also don't care about wearing the Prison Bar guernsey. We agreed to give it up, and the Magpies name to enter the next level. We achieved the absolute pinnacle of success wearing the "SBS" guernsey.

Having a largely national list, I'm not sure Boak, Gray, Ryder, Wines, Dixon, Rockliff would feel the same pride wearing the Prison Bars, actually I bet it's something they'd like to avoid since if they find themselves in that Guernsey nowadays it means they've been dropped.

Bring back the Magenta for all I care, just win games.

I also support the club letting Wingard go. It was a divorce that needed to happen for both parties to flourish. Hopefully Chad gets the arsekicking he needs under Clarko. Hopefully we learn from mistakes and take better care of the new-blood, because I see a big future with these boys.

The consistent factor that made Port Adelaide the greatest club when I was a child in the late 80s was the fact that they ALWAYS WON games, and were hugely dominant. This is the only tradition we need to reinstate and live by. Sure, the co-captains hasn't worked well yet... give it a few more games.

I know it's not a popular opinion here, but I don't care about a sole captain wearing the #1 guernsey. I'm also largely in favour of most decisions made by the club in the off-season.

The biggest success of the club to date was the 2004 Premiership and on September 25th 2004 there was no one on the field wearing #1, our captain wore #16 that day and that was our on-field captain for most of that season.
Primus was our captain and would have played if he wasn't injured. Tredrea was acting captain.

I'm also sure that in the near future, we will again have a #1 wearing solitary captain. I think that the reason most have their Prison Bar knickers in a twist over this is because the morons-down-the-road did it first.
Wrong.

Back