Votes: 38 11.4%
  • No, not them. This guy

Votes: 22 6.6%

• Total voters
Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Having calmed down after last night I want to say I love Ollie, but captaincy really doesn't look to be his go.
When Boak took over the job from Cassisi you could instantly see he relished leading from the front. He quite simply dragged us over the line in all of those come from behind wins of 2013, either by throwing himself into the middle and winning clearance after clearance in the final quarter, or demanding the ball and booting massive goals.
Ollie doesn't do those things. That third quarter effort inside 50 where he found himself with the ball in space, on the move, and instead of slamming through an important goal to keep us in the game, his first instinct was to look for a handball so someone else could take the responsibility. Collingwood regathered and ran it down the other end.
A captain simply does not do those things.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Having calmed down after last night I want to say I love Ollie, but captaincy really doesn't look to be his go.
When Boak took over the job from Cassisi you could instantly see he relished leading from the front. He quite simply dragged us over the line in all of those come from behind wins of 2013, either by throwing himself into the middle and winning clearance after clearance in the final quarter, or demanding the ball and booting massive goals.
Ollie doesn't do those things. That third quarter effort inside 50 where he found himself with the ball in space, on the move, and instead of slamming through an important goal to keep us in the game, his first instinct was to look for a handball so someone else could take the responsibility. Collingwood regathered and ran it down the other end.

Well said, Boak nails that goal every time. ITs part of what made him such a great captain. Wines Twice handballs to the opposition.

So far it's unfolding exactly like we thought. An absence of leadership is why this decision was made.
That's why when Boak did that great bit of play and kicked our first goal, my first thought was, the defacto, captain.

He had a clear line to goal but decided to fluff a handball to Pendlebury of all players. If there was ever a sign he didn't want it, that was it. Needed to take the bull by the horns and kick for goal. No one would have thought less of him if he missed, that was his moment and he was found wanting.

He had a clear line to goal but decided to fluff a handball to Pendlebury of all players. If there was ever a sign he didn't want it, that was it. Needed to take the bull by the horns and kick for goal. No one would have thought less of him if he missed, that was his moment and he was found wanting.
How many correct decisions has he made since that stupid set shot on goal kick against the crows last year, in the July showdown?? Seems to be trying to match the stupidity of that with something else each game.

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How many correct decisions has he made since that stupid set shot on goal kick against the crows last year, in the July showdown?? Seems to be trying to match the stupidity of that with something else each game.
Yep. These aren’t understandable errors of judgment or skill. They are bottom tier brain fades and clangers.

I haven't been able to watch the game yet, so this thought is just from reading comments on bf, mostly the gameday thread. From what has been said about Ollie's game last night and his reaction after the match, it sounds like he was maybe too worried about trying to win the game for Trav, and with the added responsibility of the captaincy (yeah I know - co) that he completely forgot about just trying to play his natural game. It often happens that the harder you try at something the more blunders you make instead of just letting instinct take over. I think he has a huge amount of respect for Boak and would have been desperate to get a win for him.
It may be a sign that he really isn't ready for the captaincy, but it also shows just how much it means to him and it could be character building. The amount of support he gets from his teammates will be important and I think they are a close enough group that he will get that.

What ever happened to the kid of 2013/14 ?
Ate too many pies it seems and didn't improve, but just plateaued.

One of the champion data guys talking to Dwayne Russell in January or February came out and said he is just average because of his poor kicking. Said that improved markedly in 2013+14 but just hasn't improved. His ball winning is above average but disposal efficiency means his overall rating is just average.

Yep. These aren’t understandable errors of judgment or skill. They are bottom tier brain fades and clangers.
Yes they are Peter Burgoyne Brain Fade standard, or worse. But then Peter would go and do something magical to counter balance that. Ollie isn't skilled enough to do the magical.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
What ever happened to the kid of 2013/14 ?

His kicking action didn’t change. Presumably he didn’t see it as something to correct. I’ve freeze framed him and at times he releases BOTH hands from the ball at waist height!!!! Mini league stuff. It’s no wonder he doubts himself

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks

Why do we ****ing do this kind of thing constantly. It pisses me off more than anything else. All this talk about taking the game on, being brave and playing on at all costs and we still s**t our pants entering forward 50, just like every other year.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wines and Jonas were the wrong choices to begin with however our circumstances are depressingly mediocre that outside of Boak we didn't have an option. Boak didn't want it and although I felt it was time for Boak to hand it over I would have attempted to talk him to stay on for another year. Hartlett finally was looking consistent but went down with injury so you couldn't give it to him. Charlie was an outside consideration but went down with injury and so you couldn't consider him. The other experienced decent players are not captain types for reason of age or just their temperament and the same with the younger players. Then there's Ebert but his skills are questionable and he's coming off poor seasons. We basically had nobody but to keep Boak. What a sad state of affairs after all these years.

However, in my view, if the club has balls, it will make drastic changes, and both captains this year will be stood aside to have what could be an emerging captain in Lycett. As long as Lycett doesn't have too many games like last night but I believe he won't. Lycett plays strong, plays with attitude, plays with controlled aggression and can execute the handball and the kick, he can make better decisions, and he can articulate without clichés, in comparison to our current captains. He could be another Primus type leader on the field and he's tasted success. I would make him captain next year if he wanted it but of course the club won't do anything as wild as culling captains after one season.

Can someone fill me in on what happened with Ollie on the bench??

Was gutted with how he played. He knows he needs to lift. Ken gave him a spray at qtr time too.

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I used this exact example when I was telling a friend about the game this morning. I'm glad that he has such respect for the captaincy and that it hurt him to let us down in that situation but surely that isn't the kind of mental anguish you want if you're out of form. I didn't think he was ready for the captaincy and I was hoping that Boak would hold it a bit longer. And you're absolutely right in that he doesn't provide captain moments (perhaps those marks down the line against Melbourne last year show he could be capable of them) and he won't while he defaults to handball rather than kick, especially if his kicks somehow continue to reduce in effectiveness the way they have been.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Can someone fill me in on what happened with Ollie on the bench??
He didn't sit on the bench. He squatted down in front of it, leant on it and dropped his head. Breathing heavily (exhausted) and shaking his head a bit (probs because of his form, his shoulder and how the team was going). It was a real moment of inner pain and unease. He was devo.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Love Ollie and his passion for the club and will back him to have better days,

Big off season for Ollie as a footballer and potential ongoing Captain though.

Will show how much he wants to be good to great at both (because he has the potential)

Trav goes to the US and sees what he can do to improve.

I said it before the season.How much do you want it Ollie?. What are you willing to give up?.

Or is just a job you need a break from and to have fun?.

You know what is fun?. Winning a premiership and the five year reunion and the 10 year reunion and ....

I'm thinking if we did make finals, Ollie wouldn't be much chop with his shoulder. We really should have just booked in a proper full reco when it happened and announced Jonas as captain. This half measure that we have done is a complete * up.

Sewer de Lance

Premiership Player
Feb 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Jamaica Bob Sled FC
Looking back, I can see why the Head Coach & our Co Captain were so eager to give there stamp of approval for one of the clubs highest paid players to engage in high risk off field activities so close to the start of the season.

FFS, can the club just hand in there license & join a suburban amateur league next year. You wouldn’t see Tom Brady ******* around on a Wake board weeks out from his first preseason contest. According to Brady, it’s the little things that are diligently undertaken that count towards success.

Hey Jonas, did it please you to watch your co-mate labour from contest to contest? Did you & Ken high five one another when he found the chest of 2 Pies players with errant hand passes? Did you send out another dummy spit tweet to the Port faithful admonishing his ability to lead from the front? 20 metre grubber kicks, multiple missed tackles...a true Captains game.

The club is kidding itself if it thinks it’s close to winning its second Premiership, we’re miles off it.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Looking back, I can see why the Head Coach & our Co Captain were so eager to give there stamp of approval for one of the clubs highest paid players to engage in high risk off field activities so close to the start of the season.

FFS, can the club just hand in there license & join a suburban amateur league next year. You wouldn’t see Tom Brady ******* around on a Wake board weeks out from his first preseason contest. According to Brady, it’s the little things that are diligently undertaken that count towards success.

Hey Jonas, did it please you to watch your co-mate labour from contest to contest? Did you & Ken high five one another when he found the chest of 2 Pies players with errant hand passes? Did you send out another dummy spit tweet to the Port faithful admonishing his ability to lead from the front? 20 metre grubber kicks, multiple missed tackles...a true Captains game.

The club is kidding itself if it thinks it’s close to winning its second Premiership, we’re miles off it.
I wonder what Brady gets paid per year.

Back