Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Charlie Dixon

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 38 11.4%
  • No, not them. This guy

Votes: 22 6.6%

• Total voters
So you believe that Ollie shouldn't touch a wakeboard until he retires from playing AFL?

Certainly not so close to a season starting, and probably not overall. I personally wouldn't touch a wakeboard if I was in training and I wouldn't drink alcohol either, but that's just me.

There are so many relaxation activities that do not risk significant injury.

MrPlow

Club Legend
Oct 25, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Was gutted with how he played. He knows he needs to lift. Ken gave him a spray at qtr time too.

It’s all well and good to feel bad (like he did after last year’s showdown) but feeling bad doesn’t win you games.

You can tell Wines is a good guy but all I care about is being a good footballer (and a leader at that!) - compare to eg Hodge

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Certainly not so close to a season starting, and probably not overall. I personally wouldn't touch a wakeboard if I was in training and I wouldn't drink alcohol either, but that's just me.

There are so many relaxation activities that do not risk significant injury.
Each to their own. Lots of differing opinions on the matter. And there's really no perfect answer.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It’s all well and good to feel bad (like he did after last year’s showdown) but feeling bad doesn’t win you games.

You can tell Wines is a good guy but all I care about is being a good footballer (and a leader at that!) - compare to eg Hodge
Hodge was one of the very best captains of this era. I can't recall when started captaining though, or how old he was and how he went in his first couple of games as captain.

At the end of the day, the proof is in the pudding. Ollie, like most of his teammates, will retire having played 15 or so seasons of AFL football. He'll have been paid handsomely and set himself up for life financially if he's smart about things. But because of his lack of professionalism that is reflective of the overall lack of professionalism of the club, he'll probably only play finals in 5 of those 15 seasons and probably never play in a grand final, let alone win a premiership or premierships.

And you know what? That might be good enough for him. Having a solid AFL career and being paid well for it is nothing to sneeze at. But he also might regret not doing everything he could do be a great player rather than a solid player and to have team success rather than finish 11th every year. By then, it'll be too late.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
What pisses me off most is that your captain, above all else, is supposed to be your on-field leader. He's the guy the rest of the players are meant to feed off of, the very player who will say "come with me lads!" and take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Ollie has played 134 games in his career. Of those, how many would you say he carried us over the line? I can think of half a dozen at the most, and a few of them were early in his career (like the elimination final against Collingwood in 2013 and the semi against Free in 2014). Can't think of many in the last 12 months, though he had a patch of 3-4 weeks mid-last year that suggested he was taking his game up a notch. Didn't see it happen, though.

What we have in Ollie is an immature young lad who comes across as though he's not fussed as to the result at the end of the game. He is a true reflection of our coach.

Players wanted Jonas, Ken wanted Ollie. Nothing to see here.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Why do we ****ing do this kind of thing constantly. It pisses me off more than anything else. All this talk about taking the game on, being brave and playing on at all costs and we still **** our pants entering forward 50, just like every other year.

Yeah look, this isn't soccer. There isn't a cross bar, there isn't a goalie and a line of defenders to surgically pick your way through. People over think this relatively simple game of ours.

The way we work our way inside 50 I sometimes wonder if we hired Zoran Matic at some point to mentor our coaches.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I haven't been able to watch the game yet, so this thought is just from reading comments on bf, mostly the gameday thread. From what has been said about Ollie's game last night and his reaction after the match, it sounds like he was maybe too worried about trying to win the game for Trav, and with the added responsibility of the captaincy (yeah I know - co) that he completely forgot about just trying to play his natural game. It often happens that the harder you try at something the more blunders you make instead of just letting instinct take over. I think he has a huge amount of respect for Boak and would have been desperate to get a win for him.
It may be a sign that he really isn't ready for the captaincy, but it also shows just how much it means to him and it could be character building. The amount of support he gets from his teammates will be important and I think they are a close enough group that he will get that.

I've only just seen the vision on the news as I changed the channel last night immediately after the siren went. Whatever you think of Ollie's ability as a captain thus far, its impossible not to love the guy.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So you believe that Ollie shouldn't touch a wakeboard until he retires from playing AFL?

He already had a shoulder that once had surgery, it was during preseason not during annual leave, he was vying for captaincy, the club hasnt won a flag for 15 years, and he's not playing for a social club, unless that's what we want to be. He wouldn't be my leader.

Back