• Charlie Dixon

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 38 11.4%
  • No, not them. This guy

Votes: 22 6.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I have recollections of Nick Reiwoldt tearing up when some brisvegas players got physical with him ( it may have been the Krey twins) in one of his first games as captain for the aints, and he was hammered senseless ( no pun intended ) by the media and opposition supporters alike for showing signs of `weakness!'

Re Ollie Wines, it's become painfully obvious why the club took the easy way out and appointed co captains because he is clearly way too immature at this point in time to hold the role on his own, and at this stage it's looking like just another sh*t pot decision by the hierarchy because neither player is A grade quality, so they have had an eachway bet in the hope the best traits of both players combined will get the job done.

Hopefully they will grow into the role from a leadership point of view, but neither will ever set the world on fire talent wise, and one of them (Jonas) often has to play on the edge of legality to be effective.

Wines so far in his career cannot get a touch when it matters. Finals, showdowns, games against top opposition.

Its just expected that Sloane, Scott Thompson, whoever, will be way stronger in the contest and get the jump on him 1st qtr next weekend.

Wines so far in his career cannot get a touch when it matters. Finals, showdowns, games against top opposition.

Its just expected that Sloane, Scott Thompson, whoever, will be way stronger in the contest and get the jump on him 1st qtr next weekend.

Some of Wines’ best performances have been in finals. Are you serious?

We expect these players to put everything on the line when they play for the club and their teammates. We expect them to risk injury every time they step onto a football field and throw caution to the wind when they go into contest after contest. And yet it's not ok for them to show emotion when they feel they have let the club and teammates down?

About the Nick Reiwoldt incident, when he was shown on the bench in tears - he wasn't in tears because the Brisbane players had roughed him up, he was in tears because his team was fighting for a win and he had to be taken off the field with a shoulder injury so couldn't be there to help them. There was nothing soft about Nick Reiwoldt or how he played the game.

I want to see the Ollie of old, the raging bull, who by sheer will & determination wrestles the pill off his direct opponent, tells him to **** off with a big don’t argue to the centre of the chest, tucks the ball under the arm, runs through his own campaigner of a teammate just because he can, & kicks the goal.

I want to see the Ollie of old, the raging bull, who by sheer will & determination wrestles the pill off his direct opponent, tells him to **** off with a big don’t argue to the centre of the chest, tucks the ball under the arm, runs through his own campaigner of a teammate just because he can, & kicks the goal.

His shoulder may very well be preventing him from doing that, they've said he will (most likely) need a full reco come the end of the year.

Some of his best fight backs after an anonymous first half have been in finals. e.g. the Feo and WC finals. But we can't do that every time we play an important game.

He is a 95kg midfielder, only out there to win the ball. He needs to start doing it with the reliability of a Josh Kennedy.

He needs to treat the oppo with contempt and smash the contest, grab the agate and distribute effectively. At present he is not doing the.
When he gets over the mental hurdle of the pressure on being captain (if not, he gets deliisted) he will be what we need.
Right now, he is in a vacuum and needs to get his funk back in sync asap.

Certainly in 2013 and the first two finals of 2014. In the ‘17 EF, he was unsighted in the first quarter when WCE got their march on us but fought back strongly to help us get back into the contest.

He has an ordinary habit of getting beaten in showdowns. I have more than a couple of memories of marking contests where Sloane or M Crouch have outpositioned him easily to take a contested mark.

His performance against NM was below par two games ago. 26 touches, but weak around the stoppages and not up to Cunnington’s clearance strengths.

By my count he’s played 1 excellent game in 5, and missed the first 2.
So by round 7, our captain has played in 2 wins, and had 1 A-grade game.

We expect these players to put everything on the line when they play for the club and their teammates. We expect them to risk injury every time they step onto a football field and throw caution to the wind when they go into contest after contest. And yet it's not ok for them to show emotion when they feel they have let the club and teammates down?

About the Nick Reiwoldt incident, when he was shown on the bench in tears - he wasn't in tears because the Brisbane players had roughed him up, he was in tears because his team was fighting for a win and he had to be taken off the field with a shoulder injury so couldn't be there to help them. There was nothing soft about Nick Reiwoldt or how he played the game.

Yep, Reiwoldt's tears were definitely tears of frustration, but that didn't stop a number of brisvegas players, some aspects of the media, and plenty of oppo fans from numerous clubs giving it to him big time for some months after, whilst at this point in time Ollie appears to have escaped relatively unscathed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He needs to go and get that shoulder, and maybe his headspace, fixed this season and meanwhile we give our young future bloke a go. People say we aren’t in contention this year so let’s use the year to our advantage.
Really? Cue in the rack already??... FMD

Certainly in 2013 and the first two finals of 2014. In the ‘17 EF, he was unsighted in the first quarter when WCE got their march on us but fought back strongly to help us get back into the contest.

He has an ordinary habit of getting beaten in showdowns. I have more than a couple of memories of marking contests where Sloane or M Crouch have outpositioned him easily to take a contested mark.

His performance against NM was below par two games ago. 26 touches, but weak around the stoppages and not up to Cunnington’s clearance strengths.

By my count he’s played 1 excellent game in 5, and missed the first 2.
So by round 7, our captain has played in 2 wins, and had 1 A-grade game.

Oh I must’ve missed all the other finals we’ve played then...

I don’t agree with him getting a fat five year deal or the captaincy. To me he’s always been a middle rung insider that spends too much time on the bench. The media and the club have always inflated his influence. That being said I can’t criticise his output in finals. I agree re showdowns and other big games though.

Yep, Reiwoldt's tears were definitely tears of frustration, but that didn't stop a number of brisvegas players, some aspects of the media, and plenty of oppo fans from numerous clubs giving it to him big time for some months after, whilst at this point in time Ollie appears to have escaped relatively unscathed.
That's right, but opposition players and fans wouldn't even have known about it if the media hadn't shown it repeatedly on tv afterwards and put their own spin on it. Anyway, Ollie might cop a bit from crows players next week, but hopefully we win and Ollie plays a blinder and wins the Showdown medal. :)

His shoulder may very well be preventing him from doing that, they've said he will (most likely) need a full reco come the end of the year.
The problem is, without him doing the bull role he has no other weapons in his game. Cut your losses, get full reco and move on. We have enough inside midfielder anyway. If Ollie was protecting his shoulder and limiting his game style that would be criminal. Imo he is shot on confidence and was never ready to be skipper.

Feel sorry for him. He obviously cares. If he's playing injured, he needs to rest otherwise he's a liability for us.

It's not a rest, a full shoulder reconstruction is year over. Move on to net year, they wont do that unless the year is over.

But your right, if he cant do the stoppage work he has been doing the last few years he's a liability and there are better options.

Back