• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For me the other thing is that they actually went to the members for input and got an unconditional no to the idea, then just went ahead anyway while making bullshit excuses about it bringing success.

Had the members wanted it or they been more honest about it again I think people would be fine.

It seems like they run a loop of just do whatever, * the members because they won't remember anyway, rinse and repeat every few months

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have to say that I am very disappointed with our CAPTAIN meeting with oppo coaches with THREE years left on his contract.
I think it reflects poorly on him.

However
if it is with our club’s blessing
and
if we get a very very good deal for him
and
if it balances our list better
and
if his replacement becomes a star

then I might feel I can forgive him.

Might find myself letting out the occasional boo though.

FPPF

Premiership Player
May 9, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have to say that I am very disappointed with our CAPTAIN meeting with oppo coaches with THREE years left on his contract.

However
and
and
and

A lot of IF's there.

IF we had better management
IF we had a better coach

However
and
and
and

I'm not much of a booer but I'll be booing Ollie with all my heart if he leaves. He's been such an abject disappointment this year that I'd half consider booing him even if he stays.

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

However
and
and
and

Link please.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
It's still kind of depressing that just 5 short years ago, Chad and Ollie were the guys to lead us to the promised land. I can't help but feel that those in charge have completely burned what was a capable list. Now we're going to reset in the hope that next time things will be different.

Imagine if someone had told you when Ken's contract was extended that in two years we'd get rid of Chad and Polec and maybe Ollie. It's quite a stunning change when you think about it, and the guy with the keys to the car still doesn't know how to drive.

I hope this works out.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The flagrant disregard of club traditions aside the other issue for me is that so far neither of Wines or Jonas has shown the leadership to captain the Alberton primary school marbles team, they are the worst captains by the length of the Flemington straight in my well over 60 years of being a Port supporter, plus we got them both at the same f****** time which makes it even more galling! 👎

It's still kind of depressing that just 5 short years ago, Chad and Ollie were the guys to lead us to the promised land. I can't help but feel that those in charge have completely burned what was a capable list. Now we're going to reset in the hope that next time things will be different.

Imagine if someone had told you when Ken's contract was extended that in two years we'd get rid of Chad and Polec and maybe Ollie. It's quite a stunning change when you think about it, and the guy with the keys to the car still doesn't know how to drive.

I hope this works out.

I think we spoilt Chad too much to the point of no return. I remember Burgo saying they were going to put a basketball ring up for him, he could do his own pre game warm up etc.

It hit us on the bum.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I hope this works out.
Even weirder, imagine if someone had said we would be desperate for Amon to re sign.

To add a bit to what others have posted, I can understand people outside of the PAFC being confused but you have to be a long standing Port supporter to fully understand the emotion attached to it.

The PAFC has a proud history in SA including 36 Premierships and we tend to cling to that part of our past even though we realise that we are now playing in the AFL. We feel that if clubs like Carlton are able to retain their VFL history we should be able to hang on to some of our SANFL history. In this respect Port is unique because unlike the other interstate clubs Port has a rich pre AFL history. Clubs like the Crows, GWS, Gold Coast and West Coast did not exist before the AFL was formed so they are not in our position. As part of our pre AFL history Port had one Captain for 149 years and for the last fifty years that Captain wore the no1 guernsey and many of us saw that as a means of retaining ties to part of our pre AFL tradition.

The emotion in the situation is compounded by the fact that the people who are seen to have thrown 149 years of tradition out of the window were never around the Club in our pre AFL days. Peolpe like Hinkley, Thomas, Jonas, Wines and even Koch, none of who were at the Club pre AFL days, all pay lip service to our history and tradition then proceed to throw part of it out the window. The only reason we have been given for destroying 149 years of tradition is that it would improve our on field success and that has not happened.

No one is saying that we missed the finals because we chucked 149 years of history out the window but many are saying we did not improve despite doing it and despite being told we would benefit from doing it. When you play around with the emotions associated with history and tradition you do not get the luxury of being wrong, you have to get it right and these guys got it wrong.

Hope that helps.

Outstanding post :thumbsu:

BornPort

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

However
and
and
and

You would think the Captain would knuckle down, have a massive preseason and come out breathing fire next year. Instead Ollie just seems to sulk and Jonas is just a massive tosser. Not very inspiring.

The Rubber Man

Club Legend
May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

However
and
and
and

Is this all still from that one guy saying he met with Carlton?

Would have thought a meeting would have made the news by now.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I really wanted to be proven wrong. I wanted the club to make a decision that didn’t turn into a total dumpster fire. The most depressing thing is that the club has made a number of low percentage plays that lack any form of rational basis. Instead we have magical thinking that invariably fails time and again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

elee

All Australian
Jun 10, 2017
Darling Point, Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Leicester City FC

drcollossimo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
I'm not much of a booer but I'll be booing Ollie with all my heart if he leaves. He's been such an abject disappointment this year that I'd half consider booing him even if he stays.
TBH he’s come across as being massively, unbelievably entitled

-getting massive coin from all reports on here (so much the club less than 12M later wants to move it off our books hint hint overpaid)
-made co-captain a couple weeks after ruining his year wake boarding #whataboutmylife
-turns out a pretty meh year after getting this coin and the captaincy and a hug n pat on the ass post shoulder surgery from the club
-dodges media or does the bare minimum to the extent Boaky and Rocky are far more visible in a pretty underwhelming season
-now appears upset to the extent meeting with Teague is all good from both parties (club and Wines)

FMD is this the type of broke we want influencing Rozee, X etc? Really?!

Anybody who gave one half of a * (as long as she’s from Victoria by the way) for the PAFC should and I would expect to be saying “Im committed to port regardless, I’m it’s skipper and we need to do better”

But nah coffees n happy endings down at Lygon st instead

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think we will have Jonas as our solo captain if Wines stays and the club will be telling us are you happy now. If a Wines stays we will stay co-captains. We’re too soft to make these changes.

TJ sole captain and wines for luko or similar would be an absolute dream for me, I don't care how we get there - I'll celebrate regardless.

At the end of the day for all the hate that's sent TJ and Ollie's way, none of us can possibly say how they might have gone or will go if actually made real captain. I'd back either of them in if that's how we line up next year.. just throw this season in the bin and move forward.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
And here we still are. My god, when Tex Walker provides the example. fu** me how far our club has fallen.
I would hope that whatever other clubs do with their captains have no bearing on the issue of what we do with our captains. Regardless of how idiotic our choices could be.

Back