• Charlie Dixon

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 38 11.4%
  • No, not them. This guy

Votes: 22 6.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Its v common for high paid sportspeople to avoid physically dangerous hobbies during their professional careers.

Its disgusting that the standard our co-captains set is that theyll do whatever they ******* want

KTs biggest failings are setting no standards and failing to hold anyone accountable. Its a ******* social club right now.

Trade all our ‘leaders’ to Gold Coast if we can

This.

A long time ago, in a universe far, far away, I was a competitive swimmer.

Now, I only reached a nationals level, but even back then, as a 16yo, I had to make choices like "Can't go water skiing because State Titles were coming up" or "put the skateboard away until after the National Titles" or other similar sacrifices to achieve the goals I set.

This wasn't even unusual. It was what everyone who was competing did so I struggle to understand how a guy being paid multiple hundreds of thousands a year, sees personal sacrifice (no wake boarding) for the benefit of a greater goal (team premiership) as unnecessary and presents it as a work life balance issue.

It feels like, from the outside, that some of these guys have already met their personal goals of 'being on an AFL list' and 'captaining an AFL club' and now it's party town.

Last edited:
The anger at Ollie is just so stupid. My guess is 90% of players do something similar, but he gets unlucky and cops 100% of the heat for it.

Giving up a lifelong hobby over a freak accident would be weak as. I’m glad he isn’t doing it so close to the start of the season, but it’s literally pure optics.

Honestly he could probably have just said “I’ll never ski again” and just done it anyway and no one would be the wiser unless he got extremely unlucky and injured himself again.
Nah, being a top athlete means you don't eat the dessert, you don't drink the beer, you leave the party early, you don't go waterskiing just before the season.

Being a club captain means you REALLY don't!

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Giving up a lifelong hobby over a freak accident would be weak as.
No one's asking him to give up the hobby for life, just whilst he's an AFL player. If players don't want a pay packet many times what they'd otherwise earn, along with the terrible burden of women out of their league otherwise (see Polec, Ling etc.) after them, then they are welcome to play at a lower level.

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Its v common for high paid sportspeople to avoid physically dangerous hobbies during their professional careers.

Its disgusting that the standard our co-captains set is that theyll do whatever they ******* want

KTs biggest failings are setting no standards and failing to hold anyone accountable. Its a ******* social club right now.

Trade all our ‘leaders’ to Gold Coast if we can
Is it though? Is that even what they did?

Ollie’s crime was getting injured, he knew the risks involved and took the chance. That’s his choice.

He paid the consequences, and obviously is going to be more careful in future.

Even Travis Boak who is the height of professionalism according to this board, surfs regularly.

Not that surfing is particularly dangerous, but if he did his shoulder surfing you can be sure the reaction would be the same.

It sucks that he got injured, and I’m as pissed off as anyone that he had a s**t season, but calling into question his and everyone else’s professionalism is a joke.

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This.

Now I only reached a nationals level, but even back then, as a 16yo, I had to make choices like "Can't go water skiing because State Titles were coming up" or "put the skateboard away until after the National Titles" or other similar sacrifices to achieve the goals I set.

This wasn't even unusual. It was what everyone who was competing did so I struggle to understand how a guy being paid multiple hundreds of thousands a year, sees personal sacrifice (no wake boarding) for the benefit of a greater goal (team premiership) as unnecessary and presents it as a work life balance issue.

It feels like, from the outside, that some of these guys have already met their personal goals of 'being on an AFL list' and 'captaining an AFL club' and now it's party town.
You have utterly no idea what the best footballers get up to in their spare time lmao. I’m sure you’d be absolutely horrified.

Oct 5, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There are no other teams

Ollie’s crime was getting injured, he knew the risks involved and took the chance. That’s his choice.

Even Travis Boak who is the height of professionalism according to this board, surfs regularly.

Not that surfing is particularly dangerous, but if he did his shoulder surfing you can be sure the reaction would be the same.

It sucks that he got injured, and I’m as pi**ed off as anyone that he had a s**t season, but calling into question his and everyone else’s professionalism is a joke.
There's more than enough evidence, on and off field, to question the professionalism at Port Adelaide in the current era. The lack of professionalism is the joke.

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Also it’s just hilarious to see people complaining about Ollie Wines after defending Chad Wingard who was categorically unprofessional when compared to our club standards.

Honestly the hypocrisy isn’t gonna change anyone’s mind, but it’s actually very funny.

Oct 5, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There are no other teams
Also it’s just hilarious to see people complaining about Ollie Wines after defending Chad Wingard who was categorically unprofessional when compared to our club standards.

Honestly the hypocrisy isn’t gonna change anyone’s mind, but it’s actually very funny.
You actually highlight the problem. Even worse than the club just having low standards, they're enforced in an unequal manner. You know, Bro Code. Wink, wink, Back slap. Nod.

Sorry, what consequences? He was injured and had a s**t year, sure, but what consequences has he copped for unprofessional actions that on this occasion actively harmed the club?

Even now he‘s said he‘s still going to do the same thing that ****ed his shoulder. * off.

How weird that something barely tolerable when there‘s no harm done would become less tolerable when a) it hurts team performance and b) sets a ******* s**t example for the rest of the squad AS CAPTAIN and c) the idiot hasnt even learned a lesson from it

It sucks that he got injured, and I’m as pi**ed off as anyone that he had a s**t season, but calling into question his and everyone else’s professionalism is a joke.
His professionalism is no longer in question. Ollie is every bit as unprofessional as a player that turns up to post-Christmas training with a pot belly. Captaincy material? * no

Ollie Wines can * right off

What is the injury risk of Fortnite thanks

I forgive Wingard for not having a million pressure acts and playing on the playstation because he was one of the best footballers we had on our list bar Robbie and Trav. Wines still needs to prove himself to be an AA standard player like Wingard was. Also added pressure of proving to be worthy of the No.1 jumper and captaincy.

You have utterly no idea what the best footballers get up to in their spare time lmao. I’m sure you’d be absolutely horrified.

You do realise that's the point, don't you?

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Do you support him skiing again under the same circumstances in 2020?

If he does do it again and is injured again, if you were his senior coach, would you respond to the masses of supporters' anger with a message of support for what Ollie has done and include a message that supports all of your players placing themselves at similar risk with extreme activities?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't get this AFL caper at times. Players such as Ollie need to up their number of kicking and handballing drills but not if it surpasses their allowed quota set by fitness staff and/or the Players Association yet flipping around skiing after having had re-constructive shoulder surgery is 'thumbs up'.

Hmm. Might be because Chad Wingard never stuffed up his entire season by his purported 'unprofessionalism'. Oh, and we never made Chad Wingard captain.

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hmm. Might be because Chad Wingard never stuffed up his entire season by his purported 'unprofessionalism'. Oh, and we never made Chad Wingard captain.
Well Chad stuffed up his entire preseason every year by not meeting an elite professional standard. He didn’t do it so dramatically, but he had far more control over that than Wines did his accident. Yes Ollie could have avoided it, but there’s a >90% chance he would have never injured himself his whole career wakeboarding, so it was a risk of failure, rather than the assured failing that not meeting training standards meant for Wingard.

Was he made captain after injuring himself? If so if there was a lesson to learn he’d have already learned it. I can understand why he backed himself in.

The club shouldn’t have made him captain though, I absolutely agree he didn’t handle the pressure at all and had a disastrous year. The co-captaincy was a shambles especially from an aesthetic viewpoint.

klem22

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2008
mt gambier
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The message is very very simple Wines, PULL YOUR HEAD IN OR PISS OFF.
This is Port Adelaide buster nobody takes the captaincy of this club and treat it with disdain with impunity.

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What consequences? We paid the consequences, Ollie still got paid. Still fu**in co-captain. What consequences did he pay?
The consequences?

Missing the preseason
Playing only what? 6 games?
Having to come back through the SANFL twice
Being in s**t form for most games
Letting down the club and his team mates - or at least feeling that way
Feeling like he’s let down himself

All these things are consequences, even the club didn’t pass down any further consequences.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Was Ollie really doing backflips?

Ljc_86

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I’m sorry but there’s no excuse for a PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE injuring himself and affecting his job and performance.

You want to play at the highest level and earn the big bucks? Guess what you gotta make sacrifices. You miss out on the wake boarding so you can live better than the rest of us bums not making that kind of money.

It’s a joke they even made him co captain.

I would have been so bloody embarrassed receiving such a high honour knowing I wouldn’t be able to deliver.

Flick the off the flips and learn to kick

PAFC27

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This.

Now I only reached a nationals level, but even back then, as a 16yo, I had to make choices like "Can't go water skiing because State Titles were coming up" or "put the skateboard away until after the National Titles" or other similar sacrifices to achieve the goals I set.

When I was an U/18 I was playing with and against some of the greater SA talents (still) running around in the AFL today. I decided I'd not touch a drop of alcohol despite the constant 18ths, schoolies and just being a teen in general. I now hold the record at my club for the fastest beer bong.

My point is, as a 17 year old with a chance at the big time, I identified the risks that could affect my career at AFL level.

Ollie Wines, in his first year as co-captain of our club, decided that a month prior to the season would be the perfect time to do some sick flips off the back of a boat.

Last edited:
Back