• Charlie Dixon

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 38 11.4%
  • No, not them. This guy

Votes: 22 6.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Boak plays better when he's not captain, let's leave him to it. There's others who can do the job.
Is it when he's not captain, or when he's not on the forward flank?

Aug 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is it when he's not captain, or when he's not on the forward flank?
Fair point, but he was rotating between forward flank and mid field. I think Boak is fantastic with the media, a genuine great guy, but he seems to feel the outside pressure. Boak has talked openly about his own struggles and methods he's put into place cope with pressure and stress.

Another point - the co-captains decision is representative of the types of decisions that have seen us miss finals 4 of the past 5 years.

We’re far better served with a single captain and Ken sacked.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
I’m not a fan of dual captains but I doubt it made one ounce of negative difference on field. Unless it caused divides which it didn’t appear to do.

What it did was divide/ignore the supporter base, and the flow on impact of that.
I believe it is the other way around. Division creates co-captaincy. In our case, it seems that coaches pushed for Ollie, while players wanted Jonas.

The lack of leadership from the coaches (and from the front office, and from the board) resulted in a compromised solution: two captains. To make things worse, the club sold the solution really badly to members.

The whole affair made clear that we have leadership issues. We want to solve it on the field (that's why we brought Rockliff, Thomas, Trengove, etc.), but the problem begins way above the players.

May 20, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What this co-captaincy appointment really illustrates to me is a lack of actual leadership and divides in all the wrong places.

The reason to appoint co-captains was vague at best, the public explanation was certainly not the real reason it was done. Anyone who believes that co-captains would help us win games or because a successful club like the Swans did it is very gullible. It was a lazy sell to the supporter base who I'm glad it was called out almost immediately.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
This means our 10th placing now makes us the highest ranking of the 5 teams still running with co captains.

The other 4 finished 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th.

GWS joins the list of clubs that have switched back from Co Captains to a single Captain. The problem is Hinkley is in a situation where he does not want to admit that he got it wrong. Despite the trend toward a single Captain we will hold the line just to save face.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I’m not a fan of dual captains but I doubt it made one ounce of negative difference on field. Unless it caused divides which it didn’t appear to do.

What it did was divide/ignore the supporter base, and the flow on impact of that.

Agreed there was no obvious on field divide, but there was also no obvious on field leadership, plus Jonas with his arrogance only inflamed the situation, as opposed to a genuine leader who would have been more likely to have chosen his words more carefully in at least an attempt to placate the members and make them more comfortable with the decision.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I reckon they're gonna stick fat with Co-captains. I reckon they believe this is the tough decision. It really is the most gutless decision they could make though.
Yeah, wait for it to be sold as 'We'll be brave and show the fans that we made the right decision, rather than abandon it as soon as it's hard. That's not the Port Adelaide way!'. Oh the irony it will be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Willsy10

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Uncontracted player (not captain) doing his due dilligence and assessing what offers are out there vs contracted captain asking his management to actively seek out interest from rival clubs. The difference is enormous.
Contracts don't mean a lot these days, a player can seek out interest and leave at any point so it doesn't really make that much difference to me.

Boak is my favourite Port player but we do know for a fact that Geelong sent the "brass band and shiny buttons" to Adelaide to talk to him during the season in 2012, and we also know KT wasn't happy about it at the time and the supporter base was also on edge about losing their most promising young talent in a dark period. These are facts.

What i'm struggling with is the Wines situation is bereft of any actual facts backing up that he actually did seek out interest from rival clubs, i'm not completely naive so i do believe there is a very strong chance that it happened. However, the manager, club and player all denied it and he is listed to play next year so i've moved on from it.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sort of good news on Monday is what I‘m hearing.
ABC2C037-1069-4D87-8E60-89D80E0BE76F.jpeg

Back