Port Adelaide - Can They Hack It In The Big Time League?

Remove this Banner Ad

So PAFC set up PAMFC (SANFL) and PAFC (AFL)? Something like that?

Thankyou for being just about the first opposition supporter I've seen in 13 years on this website who has genuinely engaged with this question and actually tried to learn something.

No, once again Brucey boy. The Port Adelaide Football Club established 1870 won the licence to enter the AFL in 1994 and then left the sanfl in 1997. The sanfl forced Port to also field a club in the sanfl. Not too hard to understand is it. Not even for a mental lightweight such as your good self.

Thanks for your reply . I’m getting there slowly .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I always struggle a bit with this, doesn’t make much sense.

I mean, we have to go off the constitution don’t we?

4.5 "Club" shall mean the "Port Adelaide Football Club" as established by the Company in 1996;

I don't think anyone is actually arguing that Port is 100+ years old.

Edit: kept reading the thread, and apparently there's a handful of nuffies that do. My bad.

I don't think anyone is actually arguing that Port is 100+ years old.

Edit: kept reading the thread, and apparently there's a handful of nuffies that do. My bad.

And now we're back to regular programming. Loud, ignorant, wrong, and with no interest in educating himself, that's more what I expect to see from opposition supporters in this thread.

So PAFC set up PAMFC (SANFL) and PAFC (AFL)? Something like that?
This is simply not true.

Andrew Demetriou and Gil McLaughlin wanted another team in SA. When they arrived in the state by boat, they docked in a place called 'Port Adelaide'. the name stuck with them and eventually became the name of the second club. Thats all there is to it.

Also what did in Enron. Have a brain fart in a board meeting, say that brain fart will make us 1 million dollars a year, capitalize it on the balance sheet and report the movement in the P&L and look how well we’re doing.
CrowsB4hoes Is that really your username? FFS

Judgement is not really your strong point

Serious answer requested by the OP, so this is my serious reply:

Firstly, you will note that most of the replies here by Port members have been in the form of dismissive banter. Reason being, we have grown to live with the fact that the AFL is really just a re-badged VFL, with the non-Vic clubs tolerated and 'allowed' to participate. It is the reality, although you Vic folk will deny it. So we are used to the fact that you lot know diddlysquat about our club. You know very little about the massive battle we have had to enter the competition, and indeed to remain in it. We find most Victorians to be not really interested in any club outside Victoria, so "why bother explaining?"

Well here goes ...From the start, the Power were owned by the SANFL, which bled the club dry while claiming credit for then bailing it out when cash-strapped, while every leg-up was given to the AFC, the bastard-child of the SANFL. During that time the SANFL in their blind hatred of Port forced the club to play as two separate entities, Port Adelaide Magpies and the 'Port Power,' separate from each other. To this day these tossers refuse to refer to us as the Port Adelaide Power, for fear of linking the two teams. Slowly this created an identity crisis among the supporter base, and to this day there are still many Magpie fans that support other AFL clubs, and many Power fans that dont support the Magpies. This was a football equivalent of genocide, as they strove to destroy the original Port Adelaide Magpies, leaving a crippled and weak Port Power that have no links to the club and its history. This is not just rhetoric, this is factual

Added to that Port had to play at that concrete graveyard, Football Park, the home ground of our mortal enemy the AFC, further disenfranchising supporters, resulting in declining crowds & memberships. What dwindling income there was, disappeared into SANFL pockets, as the club spiralled further down.

So we enter the Hinkley/Adelaide Oval phase of our life, and what has changed?
1] Ownership was handed to the AFL. An improvement, but we now have the ownership debt to repay, and they now control the board and pull the strings.
2] Fans and supporters began to flood back as the two clubs were reunited into ONE Port Adelaide, and a new home ground that had no Crows links was unveiled.
3] Big name sponsors have slowly started to knock on the door as the club has shown itself to be not just the equal of the Crows, but in fact, far superior!

So all is good? No, we are still hobbled by the AFL ownership issue which wont go away until we own our own club. But more significantly, despite our good crowds at Adelaide Oval, we are at the mercy of the SANFL though the stadium deal at the Adelaide Oval. I wont go into the details here, but basically North Melbourne probably make more money from 20,000 people at a home match than we do from 50,000.

Despite these financial limitations, the club has chosen to continue to INVEST in our football department, knowing that if we just cut costs to survive, we will never be a competitive force, and can never grow.

The future of this club is great, and will only get better. The investment has resulted in on-field improvement, players want play there, quality companies want to be partners & sponsors, and the supporters continue to gain strength & voice.

The ship wont turn around overnight, but it is well on the way. The Crows, their handlers, & supporters are seriously worried, and to the rest of the competition, all I can say is, "lookout, the real Port Adelaide is finally coming!"
Great post mate! Thanks for the info. Our clubs aren’t so different.

We’ve been writing cheques to pay off the AFLs asset for 21 years for crowds <30,000

It’s the main reason (outside of being s**t for 20 years) we have no supporters or money.

In and of itself, it’s no biggie, so long as there is compensation for having to play Sunday at 445 every week but when Geelong make $850k for having 28,000 in the same State, it’s little wonder people have no love for AFL and that half the clubs are basically insolvent whilst the SLT rip out $35m a year in Wages.

It’s frankly disgusting.

They will be fine unfortunately. No way the AFL will let them go under.

They are what, 26 years old as a club now? younger than Freo and they have had more success than them and will prob win the next 2 or 3 flags....

Good reply . Wikipedia is pretty weak referencing . But all the same you took the time and you are also slightly better informed of the Power house that is Richmond . Kudos .

I’m probably sure many of the answers I’d provide you already knuw the answer to .
But , you’ve missed the point . The great great great Port Adelaide Magpies are a SANFL based team . The Power maybe a bastard , test tube crested child but they are not the same nor were the established in 1870 .
If they Port Magpies ( est 1870 ) left the SANFL and had their senior side as ONLY the Power I could understand. But they didn’t , they haven’t and they aren’t the same by definition.

Have a great season , it’s good to be ultra competitive.

So you think Port Adelaide FC is defined by their SANFL involvement? I guess PAFC were really established in 1877 then, when the SANFL was first formed and not seven years prior to that in 1870? That must be some other club then? But I see that you seem to get confused by nick names and take them very seriously! so maybe the PAFC was instead established in 1902 when the magpies nickname was first adopted by PAFC?

Port is 2, related, entities.

Some of their history can be shared (establishment date, colours, etc). This is a matter of politeness and respect.

Some is specific to the SANFL or AFL ( B&Fs, premierships, goalkickers, games played, etc). This is a matter of practicality and respect for the league they happened in. Otherwise they're claiming that there were 2 premiers in certain years and some years, Port's leading goalkicker will have kicked more than the league's highest goalkicker.

Port fans have every right to be proud of their SANFL records, but to pretend they happened in the VFL/AFL is about as logical as a Vic club claiming their under 19 premierships alongside their first team flags. After all, 'the club' won them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of their history can be shared (establishment date, colours, etc). This is a matter of politeness and respect.

Some is specific to the SANFL or AFL ( B&Fs, premierships, goalkickers, games played, etc). This is a matter of practicality and respect for the league they happened in. Otherwise they're claiming that there were 2 premiers in certain years and some years, Port's leading goalkicker will have kicked more than the league's highest goalkicker.

Port fans have every right to be proud of their SANFL records, but to pretend they happened in the VFL/AFL is about as logical as a Vic club claiming their under 19 premierships alongside their first team flags. After all, 'the club' won them.
It's not rocket science FHS, its very simple stuff. Regardless of our nicknames and colours of which we've worn many more then just Black with White and Black, White with Teal and have had many more nicknames then just the well known Magpies and Power, we've always been Port Adelaide FC regardless of all of that from 1870 until now, it wasn't our fault that the SANFL wanted a break away 'Port Adelaide' club to compete in their competition. That break away club was the new entity not the PAFC that transitioned into the AFL, PAM is the club that we merged with in 2010 and made our SANFL side.

No logical Port supporter is claiming that our SANFL flags are VFL/AFL flags

It's not rocket science FHS, its very simple stuff. Regardless of our nicknames and colours of which we've worn many more then just Black with White and Black, White with Teal and have had many more nicknames then just the well known Magpies and Power, we've always been Port Adelaide FC regardless of all of that from 1870 until now, it wasn't our fault that the SANFL wanted a break away 'Port Adelaide' club to compete in their competition. That break away club was the new entity not the PAFC that transitioned into the AFL, PAM is the club that we merged with in 2010 and made our SANFL side.

No logical Port supporter is claiming that our SANFL flags are VFL/AFL flags

Like all clubs, you have a few illogical supporters :)

It's all under the same umbrella now, reunification & they are our dedicated reserves side.

Gone are the ridiculous days of Port & Crows players scattered all over the SANFL when not selected for the AFL, of course now you have Crows supporters still dedicated to their SANFL club roots & not giving a rats turd about their own reserves side which is quite hilarious.

Both clubs should really be aiming to join a national reserves comp in the future IMO & the no AFL in SANFL! campaigners can all be left in the obscurity they deserve.

C'mon oppo's go easy on us, we are a debt riddled club who holds the record for biggest GF loss and may even have an identity crisis, but we can still hold our heads high knowing our club didnt fall into an unescapable black hole because our captain rooted his mates missus and no one ever dumped chook s**t on our doorstep.

So you think Port Adelaide FC is defined by their SANFL involvement? I guess PAFC were really established in 1877 then, when the SANFL was first formed and not seven years prior to that in 1870? That must be some other club then? But I see that you seem to get confused by nick names and take them very seriously! so maybe the PAFC was instead established in 1902 when the magpies nickname was first adopted by PAFC?

Geez here come the crazies . Some other power members helped with common sense pints . You have just dragged the issue backwards.

The port magpies STILL play in the SANFL . Yep .
They did not transition to the AFL . Yep
Instead Port Power became a new entity in the AFL . Yep.

Are you ok ? You seem confused ?

Different jumper . Yep
Different club song . Yep
Different competition. Yep .

Jog on . I have no time for rants .

Geez here come the crazies . Some other power members helped with common sense pints . You have just dragged the issue backwards.

Different jumper . Yep

You’re mentally challenged, that’s the only logical reason as to why you can’t comprehend basic facts and information.

We’re Port Adelaide not Port Magpies, magpies is just a nick name, we’ve had many nick names in our history. Magpies became our nick name in 1902 (That’s 32 years after Port Adelaide FC was established) and then it was changed to Power in 1997. The nickname, the colours and the song were changed for reasons beyond our control otherwise we would have kept all of those things and it wasn’t the first time that Port Adelaide entered a new competition as the first league we started off in was the SAFA league, after playing in that league for 7 years the SANFL was created and then we entered that league.

Does that mean we became a new club in 1877? (That’s you logic not mine) The break away club created by the SANFL upon Port Adelaides transition into the AFL was the Port Adelaide Magpies, that was the new entity. We merged with them in 2010 and made them our Reserves team. All of this is concrete facts and not your irrelevant, misguided opinion.

Fact: Port Adelaide fc was created in 1870 and now plays in the AFL. Deal with it you big sook

Last edited:

Different jumper . Yep

but you just ranted

You’re mentally challenged, that’s the only logical reason as to why you can’t comprehend basic facts and information.

We’re Port Adelaide not Port Magpies, magpies is just a nick name, we’ve had many nick names in our history. Magpies became our nick name in 1902 (That’s 32 years after Port Adelaide FC was established) and then it was changed to Power in 1997. The nickname, the colours and the song were changed for reasons beyond our control otherwise we would have kept all of those things and it wasn’t the first time that Port Adelaide entered a new competition as the first league we started off in was the SAFA league, after playing in that league for 7 years the SANFL was created and then we entered that league.

Does that mean we became a new club in 1877? (That’s you logic not mine) The break away club created by the SANFL upon Port Adelaides transition into the AFL was the Port Adelaide Magpies, that was the new entity. We merged with them in 2010 and made them our Reserves team. All of this is concrete facts and not your irrelevant, misguided opinion.

Fact: Port Adelaide fc was created in 1870 and now plays in the AFL. Deal with it you big sook

Huh ? But they still play their all conquering, history and tradition filled side in the SANFL . So which side was est in 1870 ? You just can’t rewrite history to suit yourself
But thanks for your passive aggressive diatribe . It was an amusing read .

C'mon oppo's go easy on us, we are a debt riddled club who holds the record for biggest GF loss and may even have an identity crisis, but we can still hold our heads high knowing our club didnt fall into an unescapable black hole because our captain rooted his mates missus and no one ever dumped chook sh*t on our doorstep.

Yes . You just have Powell pepper . He’s a charming individual . Likewise Heuskes . And Brogan .
Stick with the cash cow .
Maybe you could spare a tarp or two for the chook sh’t .
Tragic club . Paupers .

most people know the Port Adelaide football club was the club which entered the AFL. That is the same club that was in the SANFL.
If it wasn’t I am sure the Port Adelaide Football club would of taken the new club to court for using their name.
Its not complicated, they couldn’t use the Magpie logo as it was already in use, they agreed to not wear black and white stripes.
Its still the PAFC, it’s still the same club which is the most successful club in Australia at group 1 level.
How is any of this even debatable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back