Port Adelaide - Can They Hack It In The Big Time League?

Remove this Banner Ad

In regards to a Port Adelaide team competing in the SANFL, my understanding is that a new Port Adelaide Magpies (PAMFC not the PAFC that moved up to the AFL) was created as the SANFL didn't want a comp without a Port Adelaide presence.
This is basically it. Port Adelaide fc have no problem counting the flags they won in 1998/99 as their own however.

This is basically it. Port Adelaide fc have no problem counting the flags they won in 1998/99 as their own however.
Because the new club (PAMFC) and the old club (PAFC) merged.

No different to Brisbane having FFC on the back of their guernsey.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

I think , just maybe , that I’ve hit a nerve . Unlike a port power supporter ( est 1996) to abuse another oppo supporter . Maybe spit at me or toss your Bundy and coke at me ... pfffttt .

Don’t you worry about the Eagles and Cats , they more than hold their own .

I respect immensely Port Magpies long and tradition Filled SANFL history . I love tradition and double down when tradition correlates with success . It is mammoth and to be celebrated. I acknowledge the many many champions that club has churned out . It is indeed a great club. It’s no Norwood , but it’s a great club .

WhAt I don’t understand is the delusion that the SANFL history , of a side that still exists in that league ( bravo ) is somehow transitioned to the PORT POWER . You just don’t conjure up tradition. It comes through years and years of repeated activity .
Different colours , name , song , home ground , league and jumper . Very happy to be corrected .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Hey Brucie boy, we dont deny that the Power was a new team started in 1996. But it wasnt started by the Noarlunga Seaeagles champ. it was set up by the PORT ADELAIDE MAGPIES. From Alberton, the home of the PORT ADELAIDE MAGPIES. The Power would be called the PORT ADELAIDE MAGPIES bar for two small issues
1] The other snafel clubs took us to court to stop us, and 2] Collingwobble had already taken the Magpie moniker.
So Port were forced to call the team by a different name, and to take on the Power.

So the club formed in 1870 now has a team in the AFL which began in 1996. If you want to say the our CLUB, our CULTURE, our DNA, began in 1996, you are wrong. If it irks you that we put 1870 on our jumpers, great! We love it, we want to, and are going to continue to, wave it in front of your fat noses.

Let me get this right. A Port Power supporter taunting a North Melbourne supporter with LOL NOrf ?Tarps anyone ? You are in to the AFL for more than any other club. Pathetic really. Know your spot in the pecking order , it ain't high !

I'd put a bet on with anyone that North will win their next flag before Port Power (est 1996) does. In two club town you come a shocking second.

Hey Brucie boy, we dont deny that the Power was a new team started in 1996. But it wasnt started by the Noarlunga Seaeagles champ. it was set up by the PORT ADELAIDE MAGPIES. From Alberton, the home of the PORT ADELAIDE MAGPIES. The Power would be called the PORT ADELAIDE MAGPIES bar for two small issues
1] The other snafel clubs took us to court to stop us, and 2] Collingwobble had already taken the Magpie moniker.
So Port were forced to call the team by a different name, and to take on the Power.

So the club formed in 1870 now has a team in the AFL which began in 1996. If you want to say the our CLUB, our CULTURE, our DNA, began in 1996, you are wrong. If it irks you that we put 1870 on our jumpers, great! We love it, we want to, and are going to continue to, wave it in front of your fat noses.
Good reply.
No the jumper don't irk me , the false history does. Or the 'TAKE IT AS FACT' that the Power have been around since 1870. It's incorrect.

I admire Port Adelaide (SANFL) history and standing. genuinely think it is great. But cant buy into to the whole tradition thing.

anyhow HAVE A GOOD YEAR AGAIN

Let me get this right. A Port Power supporter taunting a North Melbourne supporter with LOL NOrf ?Tarps anyone ? You are in to the AFL for more than any other club. Pathetic really. Know your spot in the pecking order , it ain't high !

I'd put a bet on with anyone that North will win their next flag before Port Power (est 1996) does. In two club town you come a shocking second.

I’ll take that bet.

Chief is there a member that acts as a mark holder?

I've just had a look at the Richmond wikipedia page and it acknowledges Richmond's time in the VFA before joining the VFL. It also lists their 2 VFA premierships in the club detail section. It also lists their VFL reserves premierships. If Richmond wanted to acknowledge their VFA premierships as part of their heritage (like Port Adelaide does with it's SANFL premierships) I don't think it's an issue or of any concern to another club. Port is probably more keen to make their SANFL heritage be known due to the fact it has over 100 years of tradition in that competition, as opposed to Richmond's 20 odd year affiliation with the VFA, and the fact that Port competed in the SANFL in living memory. Richmond claim they were established in 1885 not 1908.
My understanding of Port joining the AFL is similar to Richmond's joining the VFL back in 1908. We had outgrown the competition we were competing in. So Richmond in 1908, like Port Adelaide in 1997, started competing in the highest competition. I guess marketing and even official nicknames weren't as important back in the early 1900's as they were in the 1990's. That is why Port Adelaide had to change a few things about themselves. Collingwood were in the VFL/AFL first so it makes sense they continued using the Magpie nickname. Our song was the same one used as Sydney so we changed that. We added teal as a colour again to differentiate us from Collingwood. Even though Collingwood were a driving force in some of the changes it still makes sense to differentiate ourselves from an already established AFL club using the Magpie nickname and Black and White stripes. We had to change our home ground (we still used Alberton Oval as a club and training base, similar to Richmond using Punt Road while playing home games at the MCG) as suburban grounds around the league were starting to get phased out. Begs the question, would Richmond have to had changed anything about their colours or nickname if a team already existed in the VFL using yellow and black and a Tiger as a nickname or would the VFL allowed two almost identical teams play in the same comp?
In regards to a Port Adelaide team competing in the SANFL, my understanding is that a new Port Adelaide Magpies (PAMFC not the PAFC that moved up to the AFL) was created as the SANFL didn't want a comp without a Port Adelaide presence.

Good reply . Wikipedia is pretty weak referencing . But all the same you took the time and you are also slightly better informed of the Power house that is Richmond . Kudos .

I’m probably sure many of the answers I’d provide you already knuw the answer to .
But , you’ve missed the point . The great great great Port Adelaide Magpies are a SANFL based team . The Power maybe a bastard , test tube crested child but they are not the same nor were the established in 1870 .
If they Port Magpies ( est 1870 ) left the SANFL and had their senior side as ONLY the Power I could understand. But they didn’t , they haven’t and they aren’t the same by definition.

Have a great season , it’s good to be ultra competitive.

Good reply . Wikipedia is pretty weak referencing . But all the same you took the time and you are also slightly better informed of the Power house that is Richmond . Kudos .

I’m probably sure many of the answers I’d provide you already knuw the answer to .
But , you’ve missed the point . The great great great Port Adelaide Magpies are a SANFL based team . The Power maybe a bastard , test tube crested child but they are not the same nor were the established in 1870 .
If they Port Magpies ( est 1870 ) left the SANFL and had their senior side as ONLY the Power I could understand. But they didn’t , they haven’t and they aren’t the same by definition.

Have a great season , it’s good to be ultra competitive.

Denying facts doesn't help you here.

Did Richmond start handing out memberships to sheltered workshops in 2016?

Most Tigers supporters I know don’t have an issue with Ports history.

Hey Bruce, you are nonothing tanker. You think you are a smart arse commenting on another clubs history which you clearly no nothin about. Why don’t you go back and rewatch the 1982 Vfl grand final when you got your poor little arm broken. By the way, is that the same Richmond FC in 1982 or is it the new Richmond that formed when the AFL started in 1990.

Last edited:
Denying facts doesn't help you here.

Sorry but a Port Power supporter accusing others of denying 'facts'....sure you were established in 1870 ...... completely deluded ...

Hear is a fact ;

On 29 March 1997, Port Adelaide Power played its first AFL premiership match against Collingwood at the MCG. Not the Port Adelaide Magpies (1870) who play in the SANFL. Is it that hard ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did Richmond start handing out memberships to sheltered workshops in 2016?

Most Tigers supporters I know don’t have an issue with Ports history.

Most Tigers supporters you know are probably to scared to speak with you honestly. Your reputation for violence and abuse precedes you. All 600 of you should be ashamed.
$12 MILLION IN DEBT , good club.

Stuff of genius.

Hey Bruce, you are nonothing tanker. You think you are a smart arse commenting on another clubs history which you clearly no nothin about. Why don’t you go back and rewatch the 1982 Vfl grand final when you got your poor little arm broken. By the way, is that the same Richmond FC in 1982 or is it the new Richmond that formed when the AFL started in 1990.
cheers , will do. Its the same side that wa sin the VFL that transitioned to the afl. AS OPPPESED TO port Adelaide MAGPIES WHO ARE STILL IN THE sanfl. is IT THAT HARD ?

cheers , will do. Its the same side that wa sin the VFL that transitioned to the afl. AS OPPPESED TO port Adelaide MAGPIES WHO ARE STILL IN THE sanfl. is IT THAT HARD ?
No, once again Brucey boy. The Port Adelaide Football Club established 1870 won the licence to enter the AFL in 1994 and then left the sanfl in 1997. The sanfl forced Port to also field a club in the sanfl. Not too hard to understand is it. Not even for a mental lightweight such as your good self.

I always struggle a bit with this, doesn’t make much sense.

I mean, we have to go off the constitution don’t we?

4.5 "Club" shall mean the "Port Adelaide Football Club" as established by the Company in 1996;

Further down...

4.12 "PAMFC Inc" shall mean Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club Incorporated;

So is your contention that the Port Adelaide Football club didn't exist prior to 1996?

Further down...

4.12 "PAMFC Inc" shall mean Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club Incorporated;

So is your contention that the Port Adelaide Football club didn't exist prior to 1996?

Nope. I don’t really know what to think. But the constitution specifically states the club was established in 1996.

Is it a new club? Probably. But that doesn’t mean there’s no link at all to the old Port. There clearly is.

Nope. I don’t really know what to think. But the constitution specifically states the club was established in 1996.

Is it a new club? Probably. But that doesn’t mean there’s no link at all to the old Port. There clearly is.
It is not a new club. How ridiculous. So by your logic and a few others, the PAFC which won the licence in 1994 then disbanded and was no more. Yep they disappeared into the ether after 100 years plus in existence

Its a new business entity, not a new club.

A quick way to understand this is ask yourself who tendered for, and won, the second AFL license in SA. It was the Port Adelaide Football Club.

To implement the shift from SANFL to AFL, a number of changes needed to be made to the way the business behind the club needed to be structured. These things all happened in 1995/6, hence the reference to that date.

Its a new business entity, not a new club.

A quick way to understand this is ask yourself who tendered for, and won, the second AFL license in SA. It was the Port Adelaide Football Club.

To implement the shift from SANFL to AFL, a number of changes needed to be made to the way the business behind the club needed to be structured. These things all happened in 1995/6, hence the reference to that date.

So PAFC set up PAMFC (SANFL) and PAFC (AFL)? Something like that?

So PAFC set up PAMFC (SANFL) and PAFC (AFL)? Something like that?

Precisely.

Then in 2010 PAMFC Inc and PAFC (AFL) merged back again under the OneClub strategy, rectifying the mistakes of 1995.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back