Port Adelaide - Can They Hack It In The Big Time League?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh good on you. Unfortunately we are not in your first-out-the-gate position after the SA Clubs stopped our AFL bid in the early nineties, then hastily threw your abomination together as the Crows as the first SA club.

Thats OK, we have worked our own way, and if that involved the China venture, and if it benefits the club, which it has ... Then thats great. We dont give a rat's ass what you think!

LOL, go argue that with him ... see who wins!
I won’t need to. He would have the same view. Because it’s how accounting works.

Can you support your claim in the Financials?

MG is clearly a good get: https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-ne...the-expense-of-toyota-mazda-and-hyundai-82385
Absolutely. Koch read some of the details at the AGM, and the financials are available to download.

Dont listen to anything a dirty Crow says about Port, it is tainted with endemic hatred.

Koch says this earlier this week:
“After making sure our football department was fully funded, over the last couple of years we had started to pay down our debt. But COVID-19 proved to be an unexpected and severe setback to our debt reduction plans ... ”

But the Crows tosser above says "fake news," ... "You weren’t paying debt ..."

Yeah right!

Sure it is mate. The other 17 clubs don’t need a fancy Chinese game to get a sponsor so you can’t bring in that revenue to justify the waste. Show me these public accounts please.

Your club went and picked up a sponsorship because of Port Adelaide's work in bringing the game to China.

Has to be said, North bragging about not having a financial deficit for yonks is a bit of a laugh. They don’t make money, they aren’t a strong club. They have cut their spending to the bare bones to achieve (barely) positive annual financial results and it’s clearly affecting on field performance. Hardly something to brag about. Actually leaves them in a vulnerable position, cause a team that can’t make money is not in a position of power when talks of relocation come up.

As has been pointed out, thanks to David Koch and the work of Keith Thomas we managed to work our way into a position where we were finally able to start paying off debt without sacrificing our footy department expenditure. Memberships where at all time highs year on year. Crowds were more than solid even through some lean years on field. Then the pandemic hit, bit hard to prepare for that.

Time for an honest discussion about Port Adelaide as an AFL club.

Port have needed bailouts before. Is another justified?

Why can small Melbourne clubs like the Dogs and North get their debt down to zero but Port's balloons again?

Is Port Adelaide a great SANFL club that frankly belongs in the SANFL?

Is South Australia naturally a one team state?

Is the game better off acknowledging that small states like South Australia and Tasmania can only support one team and moving the pieces on the board to reflect this by taking Port's licence and giving it to Tassie?

that’s a lot of tarps

Why is Adelaide so financially strong but Port not so?
I'm not trolling, genuinely curious without knowing the SA market.
Simply a hypothesis with no inside information, I’d imagine it’s to do with Port Adelaide being only attractive to people who already supported them in the SANFL. Everyone else had a different club and would far prefer to support a new entity than one of their opponents. Even though Port were huge in the SANFL, there’s a lot more people that don’t support them.

Simply a hypothesis with no inside information, I’d imagine it’s to do with Port Adelaide being only attractive to people who already supported them in the SANFL. Everyone else had a different club and would far prefer to support a new entity than one of their opponents. Even though Port were huge in the SANFL, there’s a lot more people that don’t support them.

We don't have an issue with crowds or revenue, that's already been well covered.

Wow this still going?

Look I'd like to thank SimpkinontheDockoftheBay/DawofPerception/SweetLeftfoot and whatever other guise he goes by, of thinking of me when creating this thread. It is a direct response to my long held argument that North Melbourne, as the structurally least important club not only in the overcrowded Melbourne market, but the league itself.

It is a classic redirection by him, as once again, with the Tasmanian team back on the agenda, everybody is again, for the millionth time, questioning North Melbourne's place in the league.

I don't think North will be shunted to Tasmania for what its worth. That would be a terrible outcome for Tasmania.
It will hurt North though. North don't have any other non football related income streams. Outside the AFL's 2 expansion sides, North have the lowest memberships, crowds and revenues. This for a club that gets at least 5 home derby games a year. It is not a promising business model. Yet somehow they are "debt free". Amazing.

Wow this still going?

Look I'd like to thank SimpkinontheDockoftheBay/DawofPerception/SweetLeftfoot and whatever other guise he goes by, of thinking of me when creating this thread. It is a direct response to my long held argument that North Melbourne, as the structurally least important club not only in the overcrowded Melbourne market, but the league itself.

It is a classic redirection by him, as once again, with the Tasmanian team back on the agenda, everybody is again, for the millionth time, questioning North Melbourne's place in the league.

I don't think North will be shunted to Tasmania for what its worth. That would be a terrible outcome for Tasmania.
It will hurt North though. North don't have any other non football related income streams. Outside the AFL's 2 expansion sides, North have the lowest memberships, crowds and revenues. This for a club that gets at least 5 home derby games a year. It is not a promising business model. Yet somehow they are "debt free". Amazing.
True about Tassie. Gutwein's worst nightmare would be for the AFL to say we can accommodate you, we're sending North down permanently (I mean geographically, they're down permanently in other ways (finances, members, ladder position, sponsorship etc) in perpetuity).

But don't forget... North have a strong "W" program. That's what is important these days. And the Arden precinct is being redeveloped... lots of apartments for people who support other clubs but might buy a coffee from the North coffee cart.

Port Adelaide: making North/Bulldogs look like Fiscal giants

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True about Tassie. Gutwein's worst nightmare would be for the AFL to say we can accommodate you, we're sending North down permanently (I mean geographically, they're down permanently in other ways (finances, members, ladder position, sponsorship etc) in perpetuity).

But don't forget... North have a strong "W" program. That's what is important these days. And the Arden precinct is being redeveloped... lots of apartments for people who support other clubs but might buy a coffee from the North coffee cart.

Arden Street lol. Reminds me of this article that popped up on the Port board a few years ago. Might explain the OP.

1613702908967.png

Happy to go up against anyone. Port power as opposed to port magpies entered AFL in 97 or 96 . Pretty simple really .
Why do you need to rewrite and falsify history ?

Has to be said, North bragging about not having a financial deficit for yonks is a bit of a laugh. They don’t make money, they aren’t a strong club. They have cut their spending to the bare bones to achieve (barely) positive annual financial results and it’s clearly affecting on field performance. Hardly something to brag about. Actually leaves them in a vulnerable position, cause a team that can’t make money is not in a position of power when talks of relocation come up.

As has been pointed out, thanks to David Koch and the work of Keith Thomas we managed to work our way into a position where we were finally able to start paying off debt without sacrificing our footy department expenditure. Memberships where at all time highs year on year. Crowds were more than solid even through some lean years on field. Then the pandemic hit, bit hard to prepare for that.

A strong club compared to who ? Port Power est 1996? Irrelevant club .

A strong club compared to who ? Port Power est 1996? Irrelevant club .

Got any bites yet mate I’d be surprised this bloke call Simpkinbythedockofthebay got all of em I can recommend a few threads. Hmmm let’s see bombers supporters get pretty sookey maybe an Essendon thread, if that doesn’t tickle your fancy you could try a Collingwood thread good ol faithful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back