Analysis Port Adelaide coaching group

Kane sharing the love around the coaching group.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...0/news-story/1a4bebdf31c083ceba208a123ac1c989

Head of football Chris Davies was determined to keep his coaching group together.
“With 45 players on our list, we made a conscious decision to bring as many coaches back as we could in order to make sure our players continue to develop,” he told The Advertiser.
That decision and the willingness of the coaching group to accept significant pay cuts is vital to why the Power has been the most consistent side this season and the ladder leader after nine rounds.
All of Port Adelaide’s coaches are strong personalities who bring different strengths and unique styles. It is a credit to senior coach Ken Hinkley who has given each individual a strong voice and ownership of their own area. Hinkley ultimately makes the final decisions, but it’s always in consultation with the panel that he trusts.
Port Adelaide has four coaches among its coaching group that are destined to be senior AFL coaches. The club possesses the most accomplished coaching panel in the AFL.

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
It is a credit to the club that we have such a credentialed group. You just have to look at the Crows to see that attracting coaching talent to SA isn’t easy.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Our current coaching group is so much better than past years. Seems like there's a pretty good balance right now.

I doubt any of the assistants will get head coaching jobs next year either. Outside of a promotion (ie a head coach job) they'll stay here. Outside of thr Demons I can't see any club sacking their head coach.

Just a few snippets of info on the coaches:

Bassett is quirky and has a great football brain, simplifying complex footy issues. He isn't afraid to challenge Hinkley.

Schofield has great relationships with the players and will make big calls on game day. It was Schofield's decision on Monday to move Boak into the forward line and Butters into the midfield in the third quarter.

Monty has built the across the ground defence, with players guarding dangerous areas of the ground. He's intense, stubborn and super-detailed.

Voss is in charge of the leadership program and connecting the playing group. He is the coaching voice on the bench.

Just a few snippets of info on the coaches:

Bassett is quirky and has a great football brain, simplifying complex footy issues. He isn't afraid to challenge Hinkley.

Schofield has great relationships with the players and will make big calls on game day. It was Schofield's decision on Monday to move Boak into the forward line and Butters into the midfield in the third quarter.

Monty has built the across the ground defence, with players guarding dangerous areas of the ground. He's intense, stubborn and super-detailed.

Voss is in charge of the leadership program and connecting the playing group. He is the coaching voice on the bench.

I think it was the Melbourne game you could see Voss on the bench, bearded, cap on with an evil sfellow alot of the time. It wouldn't surprise me if he has taken hold of SPP, the aggression similarities currently is uncanny.

I'm a Schoey fan, please don't let him go

gbear

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 27, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Love both Schofield and Monty and I feel that they have had a much louder voice this season. There have been subtle changes over the last few weeks that have indicated that the assistants are having a far greater say in game day. Seasons past we would not have seen Ports 3rd quarter turnaround on Monday night.

Incarnate

Premiership Player
Jan 11, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

2C002FF3-B439-4A8E-97B3-7CDCE813ECA3.gif

Hong-Kong Phooey

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2011
i have no idea
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man United
My thoughts so far.

Nick's... Is it a coincidence that we are now better and the cows are worse?

Monty... Seem to see him talking a lot to Hinkley on GameDay. But he has definitely done well with defense. Don't like that he is stubborn though. Maybe he is best suited to a role he is in now.

Schoey... I think he has all the attributes to be a head coach. As long as he has a great back up team like we do now. Player confidence and ability to make big match day calls..i liked reading that part.

Bassett. I think he gets a hard time around here.

Incarnate

Premiership Player
Jan 11, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Without delving into the past or the intricacies of our coaching personnel, I think that this period (Covid-19) has probably expedited their cohesion and not to unlike any team, they are working better and we can actually see that on game day decisions for an example.

The issue I have is articles like this and Kane on SEN asking Schoey about all the coaches aspirations to further their resume, just please let us have a coaching team together for 3-4 and see where it gets us.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
One of the reasons the Crows are failing is that they have lots of ex Crows on the coaching team.

Port have done the right thing with coaches from different teams. New ideas and experience.

It is a credit to the club that we have such a credentialed group.

I'm not convinced he's actually much good in that role, but it still blows my mind that triple premiership captain Brownlow winner Michael Voss is an assistant coach at little old Port Adelaide.

I'm not convinced he's actually much good in that role, but it still blows my mind that triple premiership captain Brownlow winner Michael Voss is an assistant coach at little old Port Adelaide.

Amazing player (who went on to be twice as good as he was in his Brownlow year). Questionable anything else.

I‘ve warmed to Voss recently. I think he’s found a good role in our system.

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
There’s no doubt it is a good coaching group and will be raided at the end of the year. It has the hallmarks of the 2004 coaching group, with Schofield the new Clarkson, Montgomery the new Walsh and Bassett the new Bailey.

But coaches have to have the cattle. Everyone in AFL circles rated Nicks and I expect he is a very good coach. However, 9 months polishing turds won’t get you a premiership- or even a single win.

Parker, Davies and Cripps deserve a lot of the credit. I know of no AFL club ever that had the guts to do what we did in November 2018. It was high risk and the high reward that has come should fall at the feet of those who stood to lose the most- the 3 I have just mentioned and our beloved Ken (Unpopular opinion noted).

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I kinda feel the same (except for the fact that I suspect he is way overpaid for the role he is playing).

His strength is on field leadership.

He was a great AFL captain and leader.

Having him on the bench talking to, coaching and inspiring our players is great.

Monty and Schoey seem like the perfect good cop/bad cop combo with a good mix of attack and defence too.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Having been to a function that Voss hosted, I found him a very good communicator with an engaging personality. I can see how working with groups of coaches and players would be a strength.

Back