Analysis Port Adelaide coaching group

Remove this Banner Ad

Having been to a function that Voss hosted, I found him a very good communicator with an engaging personality. I can see how working with groups of coaches and players would be a strength.

I also get the impression that he's bought into the club in a big way.
Seems to be very passionate about all things Port.

It is a credit to the club that we have such a credentialed group. You just have to look at the Crows to see that attracting coaching talent to SA isn’t easy.
Our coaching group doesn't show up a lot of difference to the Crows when it comes to attracting talent to SA.

You've got former Port players in Schofield and Montgomery and South Australian Nathan Bassett.

The only one that stands out is Michael Voss. And we got him on the back of losing a Prelim Final by a kick.

The club couldn't or wouldn't sack Hinkley and many of key board members, KT and others have believed in what he wants to do. But his teams have failed, so they have bolstered the support around him and cleaning out dead wood in the list.

This is a puff piece by Kane who wants the club to give his good made another $2m-$3m guaranteed income. The club has to ignore this Cornes, like they do the other one.

Basset and Schofield ran their own football programs, and coached premierships, 2 and 3 respectively.

Bassett is generally too defensive for my liking, but now we have Dixon fully fit, Marshall playing well before he broke his thumb, Georgiades and Hoff played well for the first 4 or 5 games, we have had the firepower up forward for Bassett to be more adventurous.

Schofield has changed up the midfield and isn't afraid to play the kids in there.

Voss was anointed by Matthews too early. Should have do a longer apprenticeship but had 5 years as a senior AFL coach.

Montgomery had 9 years as an assistant at 2 clubs and left on the eve of 2016 finals as he didn't get on with Beveridge. Takes a strong will to walk out on the club you played and bleed for.

Arguably all 4 were as well credentialed, or better than Hinkley, when we appointed him in October 2012.

Pity we didn't keep Brogan on even Part time like David Pittman was in 2003 and 2004.

This proves more than anything that if you get quality people working under you then any mug can look a million bucks
Most AFL coaches are mugs then!

I dont think he is a mug at all. He has some very good strengths and assets. But his game day coaching isn't one of them, neither is his stubborn selection tactics, which IMO is driven by fear (of losing), and lacks flair. He needs complimentary assistant coaches around him.

He is a differnet person in 2020

It is a credit to the club that we have such a credentialed group. You just have to look at the Crows to see that attracting coaching talent to SA isn’t easy.
Bickly inferred last week in the 'tiser that Ports' assistants would be approached in an article that blew smoke up our arse whilst saying Nicks needed proven support.

Anyone care to join the dots. Sure Scotty Thompson probably out the door but who else? In their wet dreams they'd grab our recruiters and raid our high performance team.

Self entitled, freeloading arse-wipes.

Bickly inferred last week in the 'tiser that Ports' assistants would be approached in an article that blew smoke up our arse whilst saying Nicks needed proven support.

Anyone care to join the dots. Sure Scotty Thompson probably out the door but who else? In their wet dreams they'd grab our recruiters and raid our high performance team.

Self entitled, freeloading arse-wipes.

I hate to be that guy, but Bickley implied, you inferred.

Here endeth the grammar course :p

Did I hear right that Geoff Morris has been let go because of the soft cap reduction?

That's a bugger if true... watch him wind up down the road 🤬

Did I hear right that Geoff Morris has been let go because of the soft cap reduction?

That's a bugger if true... watch him wind up down the road 🤬
Noooooooooo.

The need for a quality development coach for all of our promising kids is paramount.

Chuck Bass under the bridge before Morris.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most accomplished coaching panel? Surely that’s a reference to each coach’s success during playing days because they’ve collectively won nothing as AFL coaches?
Negative what? I recon they performed brilliantly as a group this year. No way did any of, including you, expect them to be minor premiers & to get within 6 points with the reigning premiers in a prelim!

But carry on ...

Negative what? I recon they performed brilliantly as a group this year. No way did any of, including you, expect them to be minor premiers & to get within 6 points with the reigning premiers in a prelim!

But carry on ...
So the coaches of the PF losers are more accomplished than the coaches of the reigning premier?

I’m sorry but are you aware of what accomplished means?

So the coaches of the PF losers are more accomplished than the coaches of the reigning premier?

I’m sorry but are you aware of what accomplished means?
You Brainiac! ... You do realize that this article was written back in August, pre-prelim, with Port at the top of the ladder, and the other "successful" clubs acting like fools in the Bubble?

No-one disputes the quality of Scott, Hardwick & Fagen, but Kornes was also alluding to the fact that all four of Ken's assistants have great reputations in the industry, and are all ready to be head coaches in their own right. Doubt that there is another club in the comp with that pedigree.

Did anyone pick up Hardwicke giving Kingsley credit for the domination of the clearance contest in the prelim?

Not sure how much of it was a playful sledge at Schofield, who had his colours lowered on the night.

When you compare the pair over the season still think Jarrod stacks up alright.

Last edited:
You Brainiac! ... You do realize that this article was written back in August, pre-prelim, with Port at the top of the ladder, and the other "successful" clubs acting like fools in the Bubble?

No-one disputes the quality of Scott, Hardwick & Fagen, but Kornes was also alluding to the fact that all four of Ken's assistants have great reputations in the industry, and are all ready to be head coaches in their own right. Doubt that there is another club in the comp with that pedigree.

That makes it even worse than I thought

saying in August that a coaching panel with 0 runs on the board in anything is the most accomplished...

The club can confirm assistants Michael Voss (senior assistant), Nathan Bassett (forwards/team offence), Brett Montgomery (backs/team defence) and Jarrad Schofield (midfield) are all contracted for 2021 to work under senior coach Ken Hinkley.

They must like what Goldsack brought too.

Half the story. We did lose alot of auxiliary football department staff.

We got rid of most of our admin ladies too, but as bad as it is to see people lose their jobs - I am glad our primary focus is on the football department.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back