AFLW Port Adelaide, Essendon, Hawthorn and Sydney Swans - AFLW expansion, teams 15-18

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a mistake having a Swans team. GWS have no faith in drafting their own NSW/ACT talent, not even 50% of their squad is from NSW/ACT. They bring in talent from Victoria that is either too old or looking for coaching opportunities to grow AFL in a dominant NRL state. What's worse is the talented players from Sydney/Canberra like Brianna Tarrant, Najwa Allan, Elise O'Dea etc, would prefer to play anywhere but the Giants. The situation could be even direr if the current Victorian talent currently listed at the Giants could return home with the arrival of Hawthorn and Essendon. There is not enough homegrown talent to go around in the city of Sydney.
One of the major justifications for the AFL sinking money into the AFLW is the prospect it brings for growth. So the reasons you listed are the reasons they got it, not a reason for them to not get it.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Decision day is today I believe.

I'd personally do the non-Vic teams first so each state in the mens competition is mirrored (giving players from non-Vic states more chance to join a club in their home state), and then roll out the remaining Victorian teams the following year.

Bringing in all 4 at once will have a negative impact on the current clubs vs taking a stage approach over several years.
I think the 4 teams being spread out over 3 states minimises the impact somewhat. It will not make much difference to Hawks or Bombers what happens with Port or Swans. May make it harder for Port or Swans to nab overlooked VFLW talent, but they were never going to get a lot that route anyway.

I think the 4 teams being spread out over 3 states minimises the impact somewhat. It will not make much difference to Hawks or Bombers what happens with Port or Swans. May make it harder for Port or Swans to nab overlooked VFLW talent, but they were never going to get a lot that route anyway.
Pretty crazy to see this announcement of 4 new teams in a league that's already spread thin all at once alongside a report that states the mens competition can't support one extra team in Tasmania.

Pretty crazy to see this announcement of 4 new teams in a league that's already spread thin all at once alongside a report that states the mens competition can't support one extra team in Tasmania.
Sounds like you've got 30 pages of reading to catch up on.

Regardless, the AFLW expansion and the Tassie report might be the two least surprising things in football this year. If you expected something different in either case, you might be pretty crazy.

Sounds like you've got 30 pages of reading to catch up on.

Regardless, the AFLW expansion and the Tassie report might be the two least surprising things in football this year. If you expected something different in either case, you might be pretty crazy.
I'm not saying it's a surprise, I'm saying its a massive contradiction.

I'm not saying it's a surprise, I'm saying its a massive contradiction.
I'm saying you're massively contradicting the facts. The report does not claim the men's comp can't support an extra team in Tasmania, quite the opposite:
The recommendation is that Tasmania should be represented by a team in the AFL/AFLW national competitions.
It could take the form of a 19th licence...

Further, the report clearly stresses that investment in AFLW is not a roadblock to Tasmania's own team, and vice-versa:
...the AFL will need to find around $11 million per year.
To some, if the net cost of $11 million per year persists, the funds are better spent on other priorities such as the AFLW. But to others, this is an obviously good investment. It ‘automatically’ leads to a further $25 million or so being raised in Tasmania from match attendees, members, sponsors and Government. This will be invested in Tasmania, helping to secure football’s future.

I'm saying you're massively contradicting the facts. The report does not claim the men's comp can't support an extra team in Tasmania, quite the opposite:
Well done on the selective quoting....here's the detail you skipped "The case can be made for a 19th license, but relocation of an existing team – if a club is prepared to take that path – or a joint venture between Tasmania stakeholders and a Victorian team that secures strong support in two markets from the outset would arguably produce a more sustainable outcome and therefore should be considered before a 19th license"

You're twisting my position on this as if i'm being anti AFLW....I'm not. I'm just suggesting that its a contradiction for the AFL to roll out 4 expansion teams in one league without providing a plan for having a Tasmanian team, and a reluctance for expansion in the mens game.

The cost of supporting an extra men's team, especially in Tasmania, is greater than the cost of supporting the whole woman's league

Hawks to train 50 players aged 16-23 in an AFLW academy intake.
They won’t have dibs over these players though I’m assuming open to any club to take them through the draft as players would nominate a state

They won’t have dibs over these players though I’m assuming open to any club to take them through the draft as players would nominate a state
That's an odd assumption.

If the first-year list building rules stay the same as what they were for St Kilda and Richmond, then Hawthorn will be able to sign 7 mature-age players (who nominated for the last draft but weren't picked up) from their academy and 3 players born in 2004 from their development region.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's an odd assumption.

If the first-year list building rules stay the same as what they were for St Kilda and Richmond, then Hawthorn will be able to sign 7 mature-age players (who nominated for the last draft but weren't picked up) from their academy and 3 players born in 2004 from their development region.
Yeah that’s what I’m figuring. Interesting that they have Stingrays (Eardley, Shepherd) but no Amber Clarke. If they get Dandenong as a region they’re the three I’m picking. Of the ones on the list, Busch subs in for Clarke as the third.

Jaide Anthony as one of those over-agers is just daylight robbery too.

Yeah that’s what I’m figuring. Interesting that they have Stingrays (Eardley, Shepherd) but no Amber Clarke. If they get Dandenong as a region they’re the three I’m picking. Of the ones on the list, Busch subs in for Clarke as the third.
Well it would also be odd for them to get exclusive access to Dandenong, rather than Power/Ranges (from which there are 8 players in the academy of 50 who will be minimum draft age next year).

Well it would also be odd for them to get exclusive access to Dandenong, rather than Power/Ranges (from which there are 8 players in the academy of 50 who will be minimum draft age next year).
I wonder if it's a region thing too, Clarke being further south than an Eardley/Shepherd who both the northern parts of the Peninsula (Mt Eliza-Mornington region off the top of my head). If Essendon get Western, then Dandenong would even it out for sure. Eastern and Gippy both have good talents, but Western and Dandy's top end are wowee when you've only got to pick three.

I wonder if it's a region thing too, Clarke being further south than an Eardley/Shepherd who both the northern parts of the Peninsula (Mt Eliza-Mornington region off the top of my head). If Essendon get Western, then Dandenong would even it out for sure. Eastern and Gippy both have good talents, but Western and Dandy's top end are wowee when you've only got to pick three.
But again we already know whose regions are what, with Essendon's being Cannons rather than Jets, so the only question should really be regarding the extent of their exclusive access to that region for their initial list build.

It's not like the AFL can't give Ess/Haw/PA concessions for the draft proper anyway, supposing there's a belief that a mere few underage signings from their NGA zones won't be enough help.

But again we already know whose regions are what, with Essendon's being Cannons rather than Jets, so the only question should really be regarding the extent of their exclusive access to that region for their initial list build.

It's not like the AFL can't give Ess/Haw/PA concessions for the draft proper anyway, supposing there's a belief that a mere few underage signings from their NGA zones won't be enough help.
Effectively what we need is for the AFL to actually clarify. Because it would be very simple to say Essendon has access to pre-selection of three players from X region, Essendon has access to pre-selection of three players from X region etc.

Issue being, Sydney being seriously left behind because of the region strength. They need to be bumped up in other ways, perhaps a COLA type scenario (for them and GWS) or have pre-selection of mature-agers from interstate with additional money for moving interstate that otherwise would not be there (aside from rookie scenario). Port will be fine, their top three (in the same scenario) coupled with the facts the likes of Schirmer and Venning are quality over-agers they could scoop up, they will get up to speed quick. Just Sydney the concern IMO, will be interested to see how they balance it.

Effectively what we need is for the AFL to actually clarify. Because it would be very simple to say Essendon has access to pre-selection of three players from X region, Essendon has access to pre-selection of three players from X region etc.
If I recall correctly, there still has to be some official licence granting thingamajig to be done. For the StK/Rich/GC/WC expansion, that took place in mid-December 2018 and the details for pre-listing players was announced on the same day.

Issue being, Sydney being seriously left behind because of the region strength. They need to be bumped up in other ways, perhaps a COLA type scenario
It was deemed necessary for a long time even after the Swans became one of the stronger men's teams, so it would be rather illogical for the AFL to deem it unnecessary for the women's team in its early years.

However, because of the way AFLW contracts allow for all kinds of employment agreements etc, the AFL can be a lot more liberal and creative with the enticements that would be used to lure players interstate.

And it could be said that's already happening for other clubs: Alicia Eva leaving Collingwood for GWS and conveniently landing an AFL NSW/ACT coaching job, for example.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back