AFLW Port Adelaide, Essendon, Hawthorn and Sydney Swans - AFLW expansion, teams 15-18

Remove this Banner Ad

D-DAY is fast approaching for the four clubs who have applied for AFLW licences.

The AFL Commission will discuss the decision at its meeting on Thursday as to when Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and Sydney will join the NAB AFLW competition.

If the Commission decides to bring in all four clubs in one hit, we will see a full 18-team competition in the 2022-23 season.

The AFL has committed to including all four new additions by the 2023-24 season, keeping the door ajar for a staggered entry of two per year. The four clubs submitted an application by Friday, July 9, completing the presentation component the following week.

Aspects clubs had to cover in their presentations included list build plans, facilities, integration of the women's program in the club, commercial support and talent pathways and if club lists stay at 30, it will mean 540 women will be on a club list (currently 420).

Rival clubs have long been keen for Port Adelaide to join and balance out the strength of Adelaide somewhat, given the competition is running with a state-based drafting system, with Essendon's VFLW team making steady gains over the past few years, making a preliminary final this year, while Hawthorn's VFLW team won the flag in 2018 before finishing ninth of 12 this year. As well as that, both the Power and the Swans have junior talent academies.

Decision day is today I believe.

I'd personally do the non-Vic teams first so each state in the mens competition is mirrored (giving players from non-Vic states more chance to join a club in their home state), and then roll out the remaining Victorian teams the following year.

Bringing in all 4 at once will have a negative impact on the current clubs vs taking a stage approach over several years.

I'd personally do the non-Vic teams first so each state in the mens competition is mirrored (giving players from non-Vic states more chance to join a club in their home state), and then roll out the remaining Victorian teams the following year.

Bringing in all 4 at once will have a negative impact on the current clubs vs taking a stage approach over several years.
If I was a betting man, I'm going to guess that the AFL will allow Port Adelaide & one of the Victorian clubs (Essendon/Hawthorn) entry into the competition in 2022/23, with Sydney & the other Victorian club entry in the following season of 2023/24 today, to make sure clubs in the AFLW already don't have a massive exodus of talent/players being lost in their teams, such as how Brisbane and other clubs had to endure in the past with rapid expansion in the competition.

It's not a matter of reducing the talent leaving clubs. It's about spreading that burden fairly.

Bringing in Sydney, Essendon and Hawthorn together gives a greater chance of the current Vic clubs feeling an equal amount of pain. Stagger their inclusion and we'll get a situation where some clubs get hit hard twice in two years while others go unscathed both times.

So Dday has come and gone so none of the 4 entering next year as no celebratory announcements so far?

Here's what Port Adelaide CEO Matthew Richardson has written in a letter to members and supporters today (and I've bolded the parts which would be the key focus of their bid, in addition to details like corporate support etc):

---

The ramblings of a one-eyed Collingwood supporter worried about losing more players to a NSW and/or expansion club.

And a real mistake would be like when you said on page 1 that a Swans team wouldn't happen. Clueless.

Another poster transparently promoting their own selfish agenda, adding nothing to a discussion about what's best for women's football as a whole. You wouldn't be making that suggestion if Fremantle had recruited Aisling McCarthy and the Kellys rather than Irish players who haven't played a game.
I am talking about a situation where Swans and GWS don't have enough talent base to be competitive.

It's about players in the future and not present day players.

Not sure the Kelly's would get a game at Freo.

Last edited:
Not sure the Kelly's would get a game at Freo.
Yeah you're happy for players to join expansion teams, as long as they aren't from Freo's best 21. Very gracious.
NSW don't have enough talent for one team.
That's why the AFL is going to help Sydney lure half of Fremantle's best players across. Problem solved.

Yeah you're happy for players to join expansion teams, as long as they aren't from Freo's best 21. Very gracious.

That's why the AFL is going to help Sydney lure half of Fremantle's best players across. Problem solved.
Wow.

I suggest something to help with an expansion team.

Then you go on the attack.

What team wants to give up players to an expansion team?

You really need to look at yourself.

I suggest something to help with an expansion team.
Help an expansion team by taking away three best 21 players from West Coast, but none from Fremantle.

Yes, I'm going to attack an idea in this thread if it's that silly. And, predictably, you can't defend it.

What team wants to give up players to an expansion team?
Which apparently only matters when it suits you. Don't offer up best 21 players from other teams if you aren't willing to lose your own.

Help an expansion team by taking away three best 21 players from West Coast, but none from Fremantle.

Yes, I'm going to attack an idea in this thread if it's that silly. And, predictably, you can't defend it.

Which apparently only matters when it suits you. Don't offer up best 21 players from other teams if you aren't willing to lose your own.
Red Herring and straw man arguments.

Their is nothing stopping Fremantle getting another Irish player.

Never suggested that current Irish players be pulled out of their team and placed in a NSW team. Only suggested that the Irish women go into the NSW draft only.

Never suggested that the NSW teams can’t recruit players from other teams.

As for being silly, Red herring and straw man arguments is intellectually dishonest.

I don't think half is going to cut it unfortunately TeenWolf for this situation, how about Sydney can lure all of Fremantle's Best 21 players instead? ;)

I bet EastFreo75 would change his mind over what you proposed to him just then, in a heartbeat :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their is nothing stopping Fremantle getting another Irish player.
If Niamh Kelly isn't good enough to get a game for them, why would they bother.

West Coast, on the other hand, have every reason to elevate her to their main list and then go after another Irish player. And that won't happen if you get your way. How convenient.

Never suggested that the NSW teams can’t recruit players from other teams.
But you'd rather Freo keep all their best 21 players, even if it means maintaining a heavily imbalanced league. That has been clear ever since you suggested 3-4 delisted Dockers is what West Coast really needs. Disingenuous self-serving bullshit.

Red herring and straw man arguments is intellectually dishonest.
No match for your buzzwords and catchphrases.

I don't think half is going to cut it unfortunately TeenWolf for this situation, how about Sydney can lure all of Fremantle's Best 21 players instead?
They have to fit in half of the Pies' best players too though. And a couple from the Bulldogs, I'm sensing.

They have to fit in half of the Pies' best players too though. And a couple from the Bulldogs, I'm sensing.
Yeah true, seems very fair. ;)

Just no players be available to be traded from either the Lions or Kangaroos though for Sydney to have. :p

I don't think half is going to cut it unfortunately TeenWolf for this situation, how about Sydney can lure all of Fremantle's Best 21 players instead? ;)

I bet EastFreo75 would change his mind over what you proposed to him just then, in a heartbeat :p
Some people listen to understand, other listen to respond and other are just trolls.

The AFL loves a good media event, so they're probably keeping everything under their hat until Melbourne comes out of lockdown.

"A good media event" is a no brainer promotional opportunity for the AFLW. Surely you can see that the cynicism becomes destructive a debilitating at some point?

"A good media event" is a no brainer promotional opportunity for the AFLW. Surely you can see that the cynicism becomes destructive a debilitating at some point?

I'm saying that when the AFL announce it, they want the photo op with kids in the footy jumpers of the expansion teams, plus some reps from the teams - they are somewhat restricted in doing that type of photo op (like they did for expansion 1 and 2) due to covid lockdown restrictions.

I'm saying that when the AFL announce it, they want the photo op with kids in the footy jumpers of the expansion teams, plus some reps from the teams - they are somewhat restricted in doing that type of photo op (like they did for expansion 1 and 2) due to covid lockdown restrictions.

...which they want because they see it as in the best interest of the growth of women's footy.

I'm saying the gratuitous cynicism of those that supposedly want the best for women's footy actual detracts from that objective. I think it is worth you reflecting on that

According to David Koch's (Port Adelaide President) comments on Seven News tonight (from 0:39 til 0:50 above), a final decision will be made by the AFL on the appropriate roadmap forward for AFLW expansion in the women's competition, with Port Adelaide (and presumably also Essendon, Hawthorn & Sydney as well) to learn their fate in the next 12-24 hours, on if they will receive an full AFLW license for the 2022/23 season or have to wait until the beginning of the 2023/24 season instead for an AFLW license.

So hopefully we might hear some news tomorrow or by the end of the week from the AFL/AFLW regarding the decision they have decided to make, on further expansion of the AFL Women's Competition, moving forward.

Announcement at midday.

...the Herald Sun understands the AFL will make the declaration that every team will have its own women’s side for a 2022-23 competition that will start at the end of next year.

Announcement at midday.
AFLW expansion: AFL expected to lock in 18-team AFLW competiton for 2022-23 season
The AFL is tipped to lock in a full 18-team competition from the 2022-23 season.

The AFL is expected to finally embrace an 18-team AFLW competition for the 2022-23 season when it announces expansion plans at midday on Thursday.

The league has not yet informed those four teams - Essendon, Port Adelaide, Sydney and Hawthorn - that they will be in the competition next year.

But the Herald Sun understands the AFL will make the declaration that every team will have its own women’s side for a 2022-23 competition that will start at the end of next year.

The four teams put in detailed submissions which were assessed by the AFL Commission at its two-day meeting last week.

And while there will be significant concerns about the dilution of talent in coming seasons the reality is the league cannot continue holding out sides like Hawthorn, who have battled for years to gain entry to the AFLW.

If the league can fast-track an 18-team competition it will allow greater opportunities for women footballers across Australia to reach the elite level and eventually grow the talent pool.

This year’s competition will start in December with clubs already worrying about the state of the upcoming season. The official pre-season starts in coming weeks, with some clubs including GWS having a number of players who do not live in the state.

It means they will have to train remotely ahead of the December start, with a fixturing nightmare coming up given many players are part-time and work in other pursuits.

Players on an average of around $18,000-$20,000 will not be able to drop their university or work commitments to spend weeks on the road or submit to long quarantine commitments.

Many AFLW staff and coaches are also part time, with no plans yet for a full-blown vaccination program of the AFLW cohort which might ease concerns.

But by December a more thorough vaccination program of the Australian population might allow greater travel between states and crowds at more AFL venues.
AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said this year female participation numbers had increased 100 per cent since 20155.

The NAB AFLW Competition has built a new audience base for the code with some 4.5 million AFLW fans, 155,908 attendees, 6.1 million viewers and an incredible 20 per cent of supporters who are new or first-time AFL attendees,” he said.

“But we don’t feel that the competition is whole without all 18 clubs and we know from the clubs that they don’t feel whole now without an AFLW team. AFLW is not just a competition that makes our game better but a culture that makes our whole industry better.”

It will be a battle for the expansion teams to be competitive in 2022 but waiting another 3 or 4 years would make minimal difference. It would still be a battle in 2025.
In 3 or 4 years, the difference between established AFLW players, and NAB league or state league girls will be bigger. So I think it would be a bigger challenge.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back