Discussion Port Adelaide Fans Push To #BringBackTheBars

Remove this Banner Ad

46064037462_5732e0aed3_o.jpg

So assuming the bars are returned (which they should be), I think this would be the best balance. The Home would be worn as much as possible in the same way West Coast wear their royal jumper both at home, and away where there is no clash. The Clash would be worn as a clash of course, and keeps to the original design whilst taking on the silver look that the club has gone down recently. The tertiary is probably the divisive one here as adding teal to the bars is sacrosanct but acts as a pre-season/AFLX/cash-cow jumper, and could be used as a clash jumper against Collingwood if that's the hurdle the AFL throws at Port returning the bars.
This was pretty much what I had in my head, I think with the grey clash I may have had a black collar and cuffs.

This was pretty much what I had in my head, I think with the grey clash I may have had a black collar and cuffs.

I originally had black collar and cuffs, but the white makes the overall guernsey lighter (better as a clash option against a black home) and also sticks to the tradition of the design. Win-win.

Collingwood apparently copied the SA state jumper of the time and the magpie (piping shrike) mascot;
upload_2018-11-30_19-4-18.png ... upload_2018-11-30_18-54-21.jpeg (www.footyjumpers.com)
It was a good idea, and I wish we'd got there first! But it possibly prompted us to come up with a different design, and basing ours in the image of the wharfs at the heart of the Port was an inspired choice in my opinion. It's a unique design that is distinct from Collingwood's. Having said this, I have no problem wearing an alternative in away games against them. It would also be very easy for Collingwood to come up with a suitable contrasting jumper for away games against the PBs - it's just what happens nowadays

So assuming the bars are returned (which they should be), I think this would be the best balance. The Home would be worn as much as possible in the same way West Coast wear their royal jumper both at home, and away where there is no clash. The Clash would be worn as a clash of course, and keeps to the original design whilst taking on the silver look that the club has gone down recently. The tertiary is probably the divisive one here as adding teal to the bars is sacrosanct but acts as a pre-season/AFLX/cash-cow jumper, and could be used as a clash jumper against Collingwood if that's the hurdle the AFL throws at Port returning the bars.

As a clash version, I reckon black with teal stripes would look schmick. Black and Silver as a Raiders like pre season gig.

Love it Freight Train I just rekon the PBs on the clash/3rd need a black outline to make them stand out a bit more

Okay...
But if you're playing Collingwood at the 'G, it'll still be a black kit.

It could be pink with a feather boa for all I care.

Home PB's, any and all other solutions everywhere else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah I know that, but as a guernsey, it's just, meh, IMO. It's a simple vertical stripe guernsey with one horizontal across the top. I don't understand why it is built up as much as it is, that's all.

It’s not necessarily about the design, but the meaning and history it holds with its supporters.

You could say that Essendon’s guernsey is just a diagonal red line. Try telling an Essendon fan to change their jumper.

You could argue the eagle head being backwards on our shorts is a non-issue. Most West Coast fans will know the significance of the head always facing east.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You could argue the eagle head being backwards on our shorts is a non-issue. Most West Coast fans will know the significance of the head always facing east.
Most would alao appreciate the significance of it facing forward when it's on the side of a player :p

Yeh, but would there be a huge fuss that they can't wear their black with yellow stripe guernsey?

Luckily we'll never have to worry about that scenario. And lucky for us our PB guernsey doesn't look anything like Collingwood, so we shouldn't even have to ask.

Collingwood wore prison bars?
Collingwood wear, and have always worn black and white stripes since 1892, as their main jumper.
Yes you should. In the same way you should - and have - created a clash to wear against Carlton, Richmond, Essendon, etc.

Collingwood shouldn't get a say in any of this, Geelong, Carlton and essentially North Melbourne wear the same colours, Adelaide wore basically the same as Fitzroy and now Gold coast wear the same colours again, etc etc.
Our clash used for the Melbourne clubs you refer to is still black and white stripes, which would not be suitable against a Port Adelaide side wearing prison bars. We shouldn't have to change our jumpers for a club that entered the league some 100 years after us, and was only wearing the strip in question 10 years after we did.

I've already conceded that Port should be able to wear whatever they want any other time than when they play Collingwood. Obviously that's not enough for the entitlement factor in play here.

Collingwood wear, and have always worn black and white stripes since 1892, as their main jumper.

Our clash used for the Melbourne clubs you refer to is still black and white stripes, which would not be suitable against a Port Adelaide side wearing prison bars. We shouldn't have to change our jumpers for a club that entered the league some 100 years after us, and was only wearing the strip in question 10 years after we did.

I've already conceded that Port should be able to wear whatever they want any other time than when they play Collingwood. Obviously that's not enough for the entitlement factor in play here.

Collingwood in the white clash with white shorts and white socks vs. Port in the black bars, black shorts and black socks would be fine for Port home games.

Port in an alternate PBs (whether it’s a silver, teal or white base) or a seperate alternate jumper altogether would suffice for Collingwood home games.

I’m all for the bars, but it’d be a bit rich to expect to wear the bars against Collingwood in Melbourne. For Port home games though, Collingwood can meet the clash requirements. If they have a suitable solution against Carlton or Essendon, it will do against Port.

Collingwood in the white clash with white shorts and white socks vs. Port in the black bars, black shorts and black socks would be fine for Port home games.

Port in an alternate PBs (whether it’s a silver, teal or white base) or a seperate alternate jumper altogether would suffice for Collingwood home games.

I’m all for the bars, but it’d be a bit rich to expect to wear the bars against Collingwood in Melbourne. For Port home games though, Collingwood can meet the clash requirements. If they have a suitable solution against Carlton or Essendon, it will do against Port.
Port might need to drop the number panel for those games.

Port might need to drop the number panel for those games.

Ehhhh, don’t think it’d be overly necessary. Ill draft it up later tonight on my template but how I envision it, if Port have black shorts and socks and Collingwood have white shorts and socks, it should alleviate any clash.

If I were looking at it from a design only perspective and not a traditional standpoint, I’d have Port in their 2003 Heritage bars guernsey that had black collar and cuffs, very thin bars and no panel. Then, have an away with the thicker white bars, white collar and cuffs and the panel. Then have a seperate light coloured clash.

But, if you’re gonna bring back the bars it’s gotta be done right, so the home guernsey needs to be that traditional design with the thicker bars and the white detailing and number panel.

I reckon a hybrid of the usual and the 03 heritage would look good with a black back, 6 bars with no gap between each 3, black collar and cuffs and no number panel is what I'd like to see.
I'd prefer blacked out logos everywhere, even the club logo too. Ideally I'd also black out the league logo like Collingwood's 150 years jumper but I can understand not doing that for a regular jumper, so we'll probably rock with the usual.
9764237A-6C6F-45F1-8F59-A446F55EDDB0.png
This could be the 150 version with white collar and cuffs, number panel, a 150th season logo (this one is just a placeholder) and a recoloured league logo. I'd also put the gap between each set of 3 bars but my template doesn't fit it.
A30210AD-4F1C-42B4-9AEE-F53EE6A06DE3.png
This being said though, I’d go crazy for any straight up Black and White PBs regardless of cuffs, collar, panel, etc.

You were asking for a club that would have a similar story to that of Port Adelaide where one team moves competitions and has to change their colours to join the other competition because the other competition had a team with the colours the team had already.

The answer is Hawthorn. This happened when Hawthorn joined the Victorian Football Association from the Metropolitan Junior Football Association. The first task for the club was to decide on club colours, because their jumper of blue and gold was already taken by Williamstown so a change was required. At a Special General Meeting held on 17 February 1914, a Mr J. Brain proposed brown and gold as the new colours and the motion was carried.

nVQ0E1O.jpg

The above jumpers are what happened. The first jumper was the Hawthorn's jumper of 1913. The second jumper is the Williamstown jumper. The third jumper was Hawthorn's jumper of 1914, their first in the VFA. The last jumper is the modern Hawthorn jumper.

The same story, 80 years apart. One club joins another competition and has to change their colours because their colours are already worn by another club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back