10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor
Jul 15, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fox Sports FC
Let's see some from the 1970s.

I was able to scan pictures from the book 100 Years With The Magpies:The Story Of The Port Adelaide Football Club 1870-1970 :) I might scan some more this weekend if I find some time :thumbsu:

100yearswiththemagpies.jpg

motley.jpg

Cahill.jpg

57premiers.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These photos are from the Mobil Footy Album, not sure which year this one is from but I'm guess around 62-65. I've written in the descriptions of the players as the book has it.

motley1.jpg

Geoff Motley
Born January 3, 1935. 5ft 11 in., 13 st. 6lb. Games 202.
Captain of Port Adelaide for the past five years, in which time he has often inspired the team with his own brilliance. Has everything a class centreman needs- marking ability, quick turning, slick evasion, pace and kicking power. The complete footballer who is respected by opposition players and spectators alike for his dedicated approach to the game. Won the Club's best and fairest award last season in his 11th League year and played with distinction for SA.

Cahill1.jpg

John Cahill
Born April 27, 1940. 5ft 11in., 11st. 12 lb. Games- 93
One of the most accomplished wingmen in Australia, as he proved on the MCG last year when SA defeated Victoria. He uses his flashing pace with devastating effect and drives his left-foot kicks well into attack. Has the tendency and determination to upset even the best opponents. Like all left-footers he is hard to hem in, but despite his evasion he is direct in his methods

JeffPotter.jpg

Jeff Potter
Born October 7, 1941, 5ft 8in., 12 st 6lb. Games- 93
This plucky little rover who is essentially a ball player, goes into the thickest packs without regard for risk. He earns kicks the hard way but is strong enough to look after himself. His coolness, courage and cleverness were important factors for Port Adelaide and SA again last season. Won Port's best and fairest award in 1961 and was runner up in 1962-63. Kicked 40 goals last season.

IanHannaford.jpg

Ian Hannaford
Born March 6, 1940. 6ft 3 1/2 in., 14 st 7 lb. Games 108
A pacy big man who can be used in ruck or centre half forward. This "big game" player has the temperament to swing the balance in a short period of devastating football. He takes strong marks and goes for the ball regardless of anything in his path. He was dogged by a leg injury late last season but recovered in time to take a big hand in Port Adelaide's premiership. Ian has repeatedly been sought by Victorian clubs.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Chris Natt (manager of the NTFL) holding the flag with Russ. A young Craig Bradley in the background. Played in that premiership in his debut season. Greg Phillips, Dave Granger and I should know the guy behind Natt but am having a seniors moment on that one.

Chris Natt (manager of the NTFL) holding the flag with Russ. A young Craig Bradley in the background. Played in that premiership in his debut season. Greg Phillips, Dave Granger and I should know the guy behind Natt but am having a seniors moment on that one.

Danny Hughes behind Natt, and I think Ivan Eckermann partially obscured by Russell's arm.

Love how Martin Leslie's guernsey had to be different. The floppy white collar from out of nowhere and the extra number of stripes. What a cat.

With Wayne Mahney and Georgie boy either side of him.

What a trio. :D

With Daryl Chenoweth far left - second from left. First time I saw him play was in a trial game at Alberton and he had a Bay in each arm in a headlock and was trying to work out how to biff one without letting go of the other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back