Club History Port Adelaide FC est. 1870 in Black and White

Remove this Banner Ad

There is another incorrect christian name in the pics REH has posted, but I will leave it to you because I don't want my old mate Nick calling me a smartarse. ;)
Geof* Motley?

Lots more photo's mainly colour over black and white at Port's official flickr account
https://www.flickr.com/photos/portadelaidefootballclub
https://www.flickr.com/photos/portadelaidefootballclub/albums

But a couple I liked
First AFL game and banner at MCG - Proud of the past, confident of the future.

upload_2015-11-2_14-47-9.png

From 1925 in Hobart between 1924 and 1927 this was our jumper.

upload_2015-11-2_14-51-38.png

Mero's jumper site
http://www.bomberblitz.com/mero/portpre.htm Port pre AFL
http://www.bomberblitz.com/mero/port.htm All Port

Last edited:

grinderhodges

Debutant
Feb 29, 2016
mt burr
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
port magpies,mt burr mozzies
Found this having a bit of a clean out, its not much but better then a kick in the ass plus its me favourite error and Ive had the pleasure of gettin on the piss with with DC, arlen Kennedy and the legend player and bloke martin leslie. .
20160430_123805_8_bestshot.jpg

grinderhodges

Debutant
Feb 29, 2016
mt burr
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

Attachments

• received_1346043095422444.jpeg
    received_1346043095422444.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 153
  • received_1346043028755784.jpeg
    received_1346043028755784.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 153
  • received_1346043042089116.jpeg
    received_1346043042089116.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 155
  • received_1346043028755784.jpeg
    received_1346043028755784.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 153
  • received_1346043062089114.jpeg
    received_1346043062089114.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 163

grinderhodges

Debutant
Feb 29, 2016
mt burr
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Thanks grinderhodges. Haven't been on this thread before obviously and your work along with others brings a big :D from me.
Nostalgia, when you love Port, is a very rich paddock.
Love me footy mate and talking footy but I found half the dickheads on these forums just want to hang s**t on each other but being ex army and a country lad I'm pretty immune to the mostly crow tools trying to stir me up and its pretty easy dealing with em when they struggle to string a couple of words together and find it hard to count to two but a we'll they are dumb cnuts arnt they.. But love the pre 90's SANFL cause the league's pretty fcuked these days

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
The SANFL is a hollow comp now. Directionless to the point where I don't think too many people actually care who ends up Premiers.
The crowds are way down and heavily skewed to the over 50's. All of the clubs are losing money and if not for the AO share hand out
they would fold.

Rexie J

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2012
YP
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Many thanks for bringing back so many early memories Grinder. Noted Keith Johns, Rex's younger brother, playing for Centrals.

And Tony Goodchild, an extraordinary talent.

Often talked about - a museum for this original material. We can only wish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Many thanks for bringing back so many early memories Grinder. Noted Keith Johns, Rex's younger brother, playing for Centrals.

And Tony Goodchild, an extraordinary talent.

Often talked about - a museum for this original material. We can only wish.

You may have inside info due to your user name Rexie J ;), but I'm fairly confident that it was Ken Johns who played for centrals in the early 1970's, who was no relation to Rex.

Keith Johns played 1 league game for the Maggies in 1961, but the only ex Maggie player I can recall playing for the dogs in the 70's, was little, fair headed wingman named Kym Clarke.

You are absolutely on the money re Tony Goodchild, he was a sensational player. :thumbsu:

Rexie J

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2012
YP
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You may have inside info due to your user name Rexie J ;), but I'm fairly confident that it was Ken Johns who played for centrals in the early 1970's, who was no relation to Rex.

Keith Johns played 1 league game for the Maggies in 1961, but the only ex Maggie player I can recall playing for the dogs in the 70's, was little, fair headed wingman named Kym Clarke.

You are absolutely on the money re Tony Goodchild, he was a sensational player. :thumbsu:

May I digress a tad 1954. Reason being I have recently been able to realistically pin point the year I first saw Port Adelaide play - it was 1954:) I was recently at a family funeral.........it would have been school holidays end of first term and visiting rellies after coming up from Naracoorte

Hopefully my non family memory is correct;) I seem to recall Keith was a tallish half forward flanker and nothing like is older brother Rex. I'm reasonably sure he transferred to Centrals but as I'm only going on recall and not Google etc, I'm happy to be proved otherwise and was he 'the' Johns in the Port Centrals game:question:

Rex and Keith were in a plumbing business partnership.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
May I digress a tad 1954. Reason being I have recently been able to realistically pin point the year I first saw Port Adelaide play - it was 1954:) I was recently at a family funeral.........it would have been school holidays end of first term and visiting rellies after coming up from Naracoorte

Hopefully my non family memory is correct;) I seem to recall Keith was a tallish half forward flanker and nothing like is older brother Rex. I'm reasonably sure he transferred to Centrals but as I'm only going on recall and not Google etc, I'm happy to be proved otherwise and was he 'the' Johns in the Port Centrals game:question:

Rex and Keith were in a plumbing business partnership.

The 1954 gf is my most vivid memory of a Maggie's game RJ, but I would have attended minor round games in that year, and quite possibly 1953 as well.

We lived just over an hours drive north of the city, and I used to come down to the footy with my grandparents most weekends.

My grandma was an absolute Port fanatic, and my grandfather would usually drop us off at the footy, go to the races, and then pick us up after the game.

Unrelated to footy, but I have fond memories of stopping at a fish and chip shop that was set up in an old wooden 1930's/40's caravan on a vacant block opposite the Gepps Cross hotel.
The chips were sensational, and nothing like the reconstituted mashed potato that masquerades as chips today. :'(
Or, if my grandfather had a good day at the races, we would stop at the Bolivar roadhouse, which in those days was in the middle of nowhere, and surrounded by paddocks.

Maybe Bolivar should have always remained `in the middle of nowhere! ' ;)

Re `Ken ' :) Johns, one of my best mates in the 1960's and 70's worked at Weapons Research at Salisbury, and Johns worked there at the same time.
He was a bustling half back, who made the state squad a few times in that era, and may have even played a couple of state games.

With all this reminiscing, what chance some young bloke will respond, and refer to us as old campaigners? :rolleyes:

Rexie J

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2012
YP
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The 1954 gf is my most vivid memory of a Maggie's game RJ, but I would have attended minor round games in that year, and quite possibly 1953 as well.

We lived just over an hours drive north of the city, and I used to come down to the footy with my grandparents most weekends.

My grandma was an absolute Port fanatic, and my grandfather would usually drop us off at the footy, go to the races, and then pick us up after the game.

Unrelated to footy, but I have fond memories of stopping at a fish and chip shop that was set up in an old wooden 1930's/40's caravan on a vacant block opposite the Gepps Cross hotel.
The chips were sensational, and nothing like the reconstituted mashed potato that masquerades as chips today. :'(
Or, if my grandfather had a good day at the races, we would stop at the Bolivar roadhouse, which in those days was in the middle of nowhere, and surrounded by paddocks.

Re `Ken ' :) Johns, one of my best mates in the 1960's and 70's worked at Weapons Research at Salisbury, and Johns worked there at the same time.
He was a bustling half back, who made the state squad a few times in that era, and may have even played a couple of state games.

With all this reminiscing what chance some young bloke will respond, and refer to us as old campaigners? :rolleyes:

Absolutely brilliant stuff mate:). Shall respond (much) later:D

Rexie J

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2012
YP
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

With all this reminiscing, what chance some young bloke will respond, and refer to us as old campaigners? :rolleyes:

Had to resort to Google '54:)

Keith Johns was Central's leading goal kicker in 1964 with the princely total of 22.

Kevin Johns played 141 games and won the Norm Russell medal in 1973. So it would have been Kevin Johns in the above clips.:thumbsu:

My first Port recollection was travelling from Broadview down Torrens Rd in my uncle's yellow FJ to Alberton Oval. Unable to recall who were the opposition. It wasn't until early 1958 was I able to attend all games after moving from Naracoorte to Glenside (suburb of!!)

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Had to resort to Google '54:)

Keith Johns was Central's leading goal kicker in 1964 with the princely total of 22.

Kevin Johns played 141 games and won the Norm Russell medal in 1973.

My first Port recollection was travelling from Broadview down Torrens Rd in my uncle's yellow FJ to Alberton Oval. Unable to recall who were the opposition. It wasn't until early 1958 was I able to attend all games after moving from Naracoorte to Glenside (suburb of!!)

Nothing wrong with a bit of research RJ. ;)
You are correct, it was Kevin Johns who played for the dogs in the late 60's/mid 70's, not Ken.

I had no knowledge of Keith Johns playing for the dogs, but I'm guessing he may have moved to them when they were still in the magoo's comp, as 1964 was their first league season.

Rex Johns was one of my favourite players in the 50's and 60's, he wasn't a long kick but geez he was accurate.

A question you may be able to answer re Rexie?

I was told by an old lady 50 plus years ago that the Maggies recruited Rex from the Footscray district comp, in Victoria.
I have always thought he was a local product.

A yellow FJ would have been something else in the late 50's. :thumbsu:

Rexie J

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2012
YP
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You are correct, it was Kevin Johns who played for the dogs in the late 60's/mid 70's, not Ken.

I had no knowledge of Keith Johns playing for the dogs, but I'm guessing he may have moved to them when they were still in the magoo's comp, as 1964 was their first league season.

Rex Johns was one of my favourite players in the 50's and 60's, he wasn't a long kick but geez he was accurate.

I was told by an old lady 50 plus years ago that the Maggies recruited Rex from the Footscray district comp, in Victoria.

I'm with you on this one '54. I thought Rex was a local and the fact his younger brother was here lends some support to our view. I doubt Port would have also recruited Keith. Then again:question:

FJ's - great for newsagents as the FJ had wide front windows which made it easier to throw papers.:)

Rexie J

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2012
YP
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

It seems your info from yesteryear has merit. This was taken from The Age via Trove and the dates align as Rex's DOB was 21/5/35. Another Gemini:D

BIRTHS.
JOHNS.— At Sister Barnra'a private hospital,
Kpaom-road, Kensington, to Mr. and Mrs.
Fix this text11. Johns — a son (Rex Harold).

Last edited:

Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest

Kevin Johns and Dean Farnham opened up a sports store in Salisbury in the early 70's. I had much delight going in there to order my #16, Kevin Beswick, letters and numbers for my dufflecoat from Kevin. He took greater delight in taking my money.

He also umpired a few games of footy I played in for my Primary School side.

Centrals' Lyndon 'Beefy' Andrews was a grade 7 teacher at my old primary school. Sturt's Peter Burford was the other grade 7 teacher. They were both adept with the old yardstick and each of their yardsticks had a name. One was called 'Willie Sting' and the other 'Yes He Will'. :D

Rexie J

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2012
YP
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Centrals' Lyndon 'Beefy' Andrews was a grade 7 teacher at my old primary school. Sturt's Peter Burford was the other grade 7 teacher. They were both adept with the old yardstick and each of their yardsticks had a name. One was called 'Willie Sting' and the other 'Yes He Will'. :D

Peter is the product of good Naracoorte stock. Knew him and his family well. I'm sure he only reacted to enormous provocation:p

Another football career ruined by injury.:(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back